Anodizing

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't had much luck on the search. Has anyone anodized at home?

I have an upcoming project where I have about a dozen brand new, bare aluminum Surefire sized lights I want to anodize. I'm thinking about doing the battery charger Sulfuric Acid bath but I don't want to ruin them. I'd obviously try a couple demo pieces of aluminum first to see the results. I was thinking if I calculate the correct surface area I need to match up with the amps the battery charger is putting out I'd be ok and wouldn't need a variable voltage source.

Am I better off sending these to a professional anodizer?

Also, how would I skip a surface in the anodizing process? Say I don't want to anodize a section of the light where electrical contact is made.

Thanks!!!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about this as well, but don't want to spring for an expensive variable power supply. I've seen people link together 9v batteries and such, but seems unreliable.

As for masking off areas, that's easy. Playdoh.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about this as well, but don't want to spring for an expensive variable power supply. I've seen people link together 9v batteries and such, but seems unreliable.

As for masking off areas, that's easy. Playdoh.

The 9v battery method is for color anodizing titanium, isn't it? Or can you also anodize aluminum with 9v batteries?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll give him a shout! Forgot all about him. I picked up some Cerakoted Mags from him a while back.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't had much luck on the search. Has anyone anodized at home?

I have an upcoming project where I have about a dozen brand new, bare aluminum Surefire sized lights I want to anodize. I'm thinking about doing the battery charger Sulfuric Acid bath but I don't want to ruin them. I'd obviously try a couple demo pieces of aluminum first to see the results. I was thinking if I calculate the correct surface area I need to match up with the amps the battery charger is putting out I'd be ok and wouldn't need a variable voltage source.

Am I better off sending these to a professional anodizer?

Also, how would I skip a surface in the anodizing process? Say I don't want to anodize a section of the light where electrical contact is made.
Simply put, you'd better find a professional anodizer aka metal processing workshop. Doing anodizing at home is simply unimaginable... do you know how much hazmat is involved in the process??

Skpping a surface: you do that by plugging and masking. Again, let the pros do the work (but even so, it's not easy and will curtail extra time and costs).

Anyway the more parts you send to the metal processor, the better CP (cost performance) you'll get.