ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lumintop/TLF/BLF FW3Avn - Most Compact Triple/Quad

Flashaholic

Default Re: Lumintop/TLF/BLF FW3Avn - Most Compact Triple/Quad

Energizer,

Just know what you are getting into. Any light with that triple optic and white 1mms will throw the same assuming they allow the same current. Both of those lights will almost immediately step down from max due to heat. Maybe a D4Ti swapped with a triple?

I find myself less into these kinds of lights as "throwers" because they don't last at that max spec (or near it) for very long at all. Going out into the field to be truly wowed, I'd want a GTvn Micro or Mini, a Tool or Goliath with W1s. The impressiveness will last with those lights. With the high-output ones, it will fade quickly.

You make some funny generalizations. You seem to greatly desire throw, but are going about it in a way that kinda robs it from you. Just want you to be aware of that, because these are great lights, but they just don't seem to be what you are after?

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    Energizer,

Just know what you are getting into. Any light with that triple optic and white 1mms will throw the same assuming they allow the same current. Both of those lights will almost immediately step down from max due to heat. Maybe a D4Ti swapped with a triple?

I find myself less into these kinds of lights as "throwers" because they don't last at that max spec (or near it) for very long at all. Going out into the field to be truly wowed, I'd want a GTvn Micro or Mini, a Tool or Goliath with W1s. The impressiveness will last with those lights. With the high-output ones, it will fade quickly.

You make some funny generalizations. You seem to greatly desire throw, but are going about it in a way that kinda robs it from you. Just want you to be aware of that, because these are great lights, but they just don't seem to be what you are after?
    Already own the GTvn Micro W1, Goliath V2 W1, and Skylumen Delta. I know triples/quads donít last long but its a very usable beam pattern. I much prefer a filled throw spot. In my residential neighborhood, I canít politely use a typical reflector light because the spill area hits windows, cars, and front yards.

We have different preferences for sure, thanks for your input. I am certainly looking for a 15 second turbo throw triple/quad with 2k+ lumens/50k+ CD under 30mm head for pocketability in dress clothes.

Seems like FW3A may sadly be as close as Iíll get in 2019.

Flashaholic

Ah that makes sense. Your focus on the numbers made it seem like you were looking at this purely for throw, not beam. Which is why I piped up. Carry on!

Can anyone who owns the FW3A in W1 provide their opinions compared with other lights such as the D4?

How does it stand as far as wow-factor goes? I would imagine the W1 option is a popular choice. Any comments or insight is greatly appreciated! Iím currently sitting on the edge as to whether I should buy now or wait for the next best thing in its form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyownEnergizer250lumen View Post
    Can anyone who owns the FW3A in W1 provide their opinions compared with other lights such as the D4?

How does it stand as far as wow-factor goes? I would imagine the W1 option is a popular choice. Any comments or insight is greatly appreciated! Iím currently sitting on the edge as to whether I should buy now or wait for the next best thing in its form factor.
    Unless there is a new led there wont likely be a next best thing. At least not in terms of performance and price.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Unless there is a new led there wont likely be a next best thing. At least not in terms of performance and price.
    1 word:

Sold

Made my purchase! Added a battery and charger ... eagerly awaiting mega triple w1 performance! Iím excited hehe.

Thank you all for your shared insight.

Turn ON Performance
    Stock 3*XPL HI 5000K Frosted Lens: 2550L, 16Kcd, 253m
    4*XPL HI 5000K V4 Clear Lens: 3300L, 20Kcd, 283m
    3*W1 Clear Lens: 2000L, 45Kcd, 424m
    4*W2 Clear Lens: 3750L, 44kcd, 419m WHAT?!?!
    4*219b 4500K 90CRI Clear Lens: 1550L, 9Kcd, 190m
    4*SST20 4000K 95CRI Clear Lens:2000L, 18Kcd, 268m

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

The 4x w2 is very impressive. So I just watched a review video on this light and saw that it takes a double click to get to turbo and then another double click to get to the ďreal turboĒ max output. So thatís a lot of clicks to have to click if I just wanted to get a burst of the 3700 lumens! Is the maximum output in the ramping sequence? Meaning if I just ramped the brightness up, will it reach maximum output at the top of ramp? And if so, can I be memorized so that the next time I turn on the light, it will come on maximum brightness? Please someone verify this.

Oh... the buyers remorse T_T is it too late to switch for W2?

Quote Originally Posted by b8llzblue View Post
    The 4x w2 is very impressive. So I just watched a review video on this light and saw that it takes a double click to get to turbo and then another double click to get to the ďreal turboĒ max output. So thatís a lot of clicks to have to click if I just wanted to get a burst of the 3700 lumens! Is the maximum output in the ramping sequence? Meaning if I just ramped the brightness up, will it reach maximum output at the top of ramp? And if so, can I be memorized so that the next time I turn on the light, it will come on maximum brightness? Please someone verify this.
    From OFF Double Click = Top of RAMP, Double Click again, = Turbo
    From ON Double Click = Turbo
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Oh... the buyers remorse T_T is it too late to switch for W2?
    Not too late but your light is shipped.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Anduril grants you the freedom to customize what you want the ceiling of your ramp is. You can make the ceiling the max output of the light if you want, to get turbo from off via double click.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Anduril grants you the freedom to customize what you want the ceiling of your ramp is. You can make the ceiling the max output of the light if you want, to get turbo from off via double click.
    Yup. It is fairly easy to configure the ramp on Anduril. If you wish to make it act closer to an Emisar D4 you can set the max ramp to turbo. That way a double-click from anywhere gets you right to turbo.

Personally, I like having the max ramp a bit lower. Less risk that the button will get depressed by my pocket stuffing and accidentally ramp to turbo and burn through my pocket. That happened to be me twice with a D4.

Thanks for the reply gentleman. I think that just sold me. That was the reason why I liked my D4vn, top of ramp was brightest, so that It can be memorized so that I can turn it on max brightness with a single click. If u guys donít mind, can you explain how do I go about programming this?

Thanks for the reply gentleman. I think that just sold me. That was the reason why I liked my D4vn, top of ramp was brightest, so that It can be memorized so that I can turn it on max brightness with a single click. If u guys donít mind, can you explain how do I go about programming this?
    I think you will be able to find it here.
    https://youtu.be/dO6__G-xL4M
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Actually, I think this is what you want.

Ramp Config Mode
    ----------------

While the light is on in a ramping mode, click 4 times to enter the
    config mode for the current ramp.

For smooth ramping mode, there are two menu options:

1. Floor. (default = 1/150)
    2. Ceiling. (default = 120/150)

For the stepped ramping mode, there are three menu options:

1. Floor. (default = 20/150)
    2. Ceiling. (default = 120/150)
    3. Number of steps. (default = 7)

To configure the floor level, click the button equal to the number of
    ramp levels (out of 150) at which the floor should be. To set the
    lowest possible level, click once.

To configure the ceiling level, each click goes one level lower. So 1
    click sets the highest possible level, 2 clicks is the 2nd-highest, 3
    clicks is the 3rd-highest level, etc. To set the default of 120/150,
    click 31 times.

When configuring the number of steps, the value can be anything from 2
    to 150.

So, do this:
    While the light is on in a ramping mode, click 4 times to enter the
    config mode for the current ramp.

You will see the light flutter. At that point, click the switch one time. You will than see the light flutter again. Hit the switch once again. Now you will have the highest ramp without having to double click twice.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Right on Nobones! Got it working. Appreciate the help.

Thumbs up Re: Lumintop/TLF/BLF FW3Avn - Most Compact Triple/Quad

Right on Nobones! Got it working. Appreciate the help.
    Glad to help!

Just so you know, the first time you pushed the button configured the ramping to access the lowest moonlight setting.

The second time you pushed the button configured the ramping to access the highest turbo setting.

So now you can access the lowest low AND the highest high levels.
    Last edited by noboneshotdog; 05-23-2019 at 03:41 AM.

SST20 clear optic quad floody 4000K just arrived. Polished button and V54 make this a stunner of a light. It makes me wish it were the dark winter! Still learning and getting used to the UI, which is powerful.

I've only very rarely had a ZL SC62/63/64 turn on by accident when clipped inside my front pocket--carrying there 16 hours per day at least 6 days a week for years, I maybe had 4 cases of light-induced "hot pocket". Somehow, in my first couple hours, the FW3AVN turned on twice in my pocket. I'm pretty surprised, being a tail switch and all. It might be an unlucky combination of my pants, anatomy, and a new light that I'm inadvertently bumping....

Anyway, the momentary mode is probably what I'll use during my work day as a type of lockout (5 clicks)--its most useful for me at work anyway, when I just need quick bursts. I love that the momentary mode is settable at any light level--no need for a "tactical" turbo blast at work. Even the bike flasher is dimmable. Once the sun goes down, I'll probably switch to the very cool "lockout" mode, which isn't really a lockout. It still works in momentary mode to moonlight--perfect for late night bathroom trips, and only 4 clicks away from being back in "standard" mode.

Looking forward to some FW3Avn "candlelight" tonight (includes a sleep timer...did I mention that I'm still learning the UI?), and some more rigorous runtime and beam comparisons to my beloved SC64c. Its a high-CRI EDC fight to the death!

Very impressive 4 x W2. So Iím guessing limited runtime on max turbo and that it heats up very quick!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    SST20 clear optic quad floody 4000K just arrived. Polished button and V54 make this a stunner of a light. It makes me wish it were the dark winter! Still learning and getting used to the UI, which is powerful.

I've only very rarely had a ZL SC62/63/64 turn on by accident when clipped inside my front pocket--carrying there 16 hours per day at least 6 days a week for years, I maybe had 4 cases of light-induced "hot pocket". Somehow, in my first couple hours, the FW3AVN turned on twice in my pocket. I'm pretty surprised, being a tail switch and all. It might be an unlucky combination of my pants, anatomy, and a new light that I'm inadvertently bumping....

Anyway, the momentary mode is probably what I'll use during my work day as a type of lockout (5 clicks)--its most useful for me at work anyway, when I just need quick bursts. I love that the momentary mode is settable at any light level--no need for a "tactical" turbo blast at work. Even the bike flasher is dimmable. Once the sun goes down, I'll probably switch to the very cool "lockout" mode, which isn't really a lockout. It still works in momentary mode to moonlight--perfect for late night bathroom trips, and only 4 clicks away from being back in "standard" mode.

Looking forward to some FW3Avn "candlelight" tonight (includes a sleep timer...did I mention that I'm still learning the UI?), and some more rigorous runtime and beam comparisons to my beloved SC64c. Its a high-CRI EDC fight to the death!
    Barely cracking the head locks out the switch (1/32 turn). I use 1/8 turn and can tighten it enough with one hand in milliseconds to comfortably carry this way. You don't have to have it very tight to work just fine (unlike the tail section, which you want tight anyway because the switch is not glued or secured at all).

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Very impressive 4 x W2. So Iím guessing limited runtime on max turbo and that it heats up very quick!
    I have the triple W1 (fiat lux!!) and ďlimitedĒ run time / ďheats up very quickĒ are extreme understatements. By comarparison to the D4 XPL-HI 6500k, this thing is an actual fire starter on turbo... Iím saying that with 2,000 lumens, so 3750 is INSTANT overheat, Iím talking 3 seconds before you regret it lol. Thereís just not enough heat sink on this little guy to warrant 3k+ lumens on any usable duration. I am glad I got the triple W1 instead!

Has anyone received a FW3A quad W2 yet? Curious about your experiences with the heat / thermal step downs. Is it still viable on turbo or is it instant drop with zero practical use? I much prefer the ramping step down as opposed to the interval step down on the D4... much less disturbing to require step down if itís not blinking and obvious lol.

What he said ⬇️ 🤔

Has anyone received a FW3A quad W2 yet? Curious about your experiences with the heat / thermal step downs. Is it still viable on turbo or is it instant drop with zero practical use? I much prefer the ramping step down as opposed to the interval step down on the D4... much less disturbing to require step down if itís not blinking and obvious lol.
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Hey Vinh I know youíre busy with all your projects, but could you take a few minutes to answer the above question. I would love to order one of these however if the W2 Is not a practical late, I will just order stock. Itíll save me a bundle. Thanks in advance

IMO none of the LED options in this light is practical. Everything gets HOT in this light weight! Quads does get hot faster on turbo but handle heat to lumen ratio better on lower levels due to greater efficiency. W2 gets hot FAST! Short 10 seconds burst once in a while is cool but yeah thats all one can expect.

Brass, Copper, and Ti version coming with all of the TurboGlo disc coming ;-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    IMO none of the LED options in this light is practical. Everything gets HOT in this light weight! Quads does get hot faster on turbo but handle heat to lumen ratio better on lower levels due to greater efficiency. W2 gets hot FAST! Short 10 seconds burst once in a while is cool but yeah thats all one can expect.

Brass, Copper, and Ti version coming with all of the TurboGlo disc coming ;-)

Wow... a brass or copper version sounds absolutely stunning in this light!! I might actually get the W2 in copper!!! Could double the 100% turbo runtime to 20 seconds before notable step down instead of 10 eh?

Wow... a brass or copper version sounds absolutely stunning in this light!! I might actually get the W2 in copper!!! Could double the 100% turbo runtime to 20 seconds before notable step down instead of 10 eh?
    What he ⬆️ Said. WOW!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast