Maxtorch        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    No problems yet. Iíll take the opposite stand now.
    I would LOVE the ability to program what voltage the light actually cuts off or reduces output at. I donít like deep discharging my cells, and I would prefer to reduce output at say 3.2 volts rather than 3.0 volts as an example. This leads to longer cell life and greater cycle life.
    I'd be down for that as an advanced setting
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    As I stated in an earlier post, Iíve had a fatal HDS failure with the driver of the light. Iíve yet to have a battery failure concerning discharge protection. I trust an HDS light as much as I trust any of the other brands I listed - no more, no less.

Letís be crystal clear and honest about what I wrote...my idea of improvement is for the light to be able to distinguish between rechargeable and primary no matter the order the battery insertion. I mentioned nowhere that the clicky needs to lose its over discharge protection.

Some of you guys are too funny...
    Yeah, but how is that possible? I only know of two lights that have over discharge protection and support cr123: HDS and Oveready BOSS. The BOSS needs to be reprogrammed to switch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Yeah, but how is that possible? I only know of two lights that have over discharge protection and support cr123: HDS and Oveready BOSS. The BOSS needs to be reprogrammed to switch though.
    I didnít say it was possible; Iím certainly not a flashlight driver programmer. This thread was started to ask for improvements to an almost perfect light. I gave my idea and you guys just ran with it, saying I wrote things that I didnít and that Iím trying to do something to the light that I donít want done.

Geeze...

What I am saying is the other lights DO NOT distinguish between rechargeable and primary batteries any more than a 357 pistol distinguishes between .38 Special and .357. You can use both, the tool doesn't distinguish between the two. Now, if Smith & Wesson made a model 686 that automatically adjust the front sight for which ammo was put in the gun...

Let's see what it takes for an HDS to tell the difference. Turn the light on (just a push of the button), now unscrew the battery compartment and put in the new primary or charged IMR, ICR, INR and screw the battery compartment back on. Done.

If turning the light on before changing the battery is too complicated, one can sit and wait for 60 seconds. I personally, being an impatient sort of fellow, simply prefer to turn the light on first so I don't have to wait.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    I didnít say it was possible; Iím certainly not a flashlight driver programmer. This thread was started to ask for improvements to an almost perfect light. I gave my idea and you guys just ran with it, saying I wrote things that I didnít and that Iím trying to do something to the light that I donít want done.

Geeze...
    I guess I misinterpreted your post comparing to Malkoff and other brands as suggesting that HDS should work like they do, i.e. without over discharge protection.

It would be nice to not need the reset but I just don't see how it would work.

I don't even consider the battery check thing an actual "reset". It takes lees than 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I guess I misinterpreted your post comparing to Malkoff and other brands as suggesting that HDS should work like they do, i.e. without over discharge protection.

It would be nice to not need the reset but I just don't see how it would work.
    No worries. I feel like the clicky is an almost perfect light. Regardless of the ďtimeĒ or ďdifficultyĒ associated with doing a reset, itís still annoying. That switch would make it that much better of a light IMO, but it doesnít make the clicky any less of a light. Much like the earlier poster, Iíd take the clicky as a single level on/off light; itís that good.

I did did get a big chuckle out of the silly ďIn before the closeĒ post though.

-pseudo momentary to a selectable preset even from lockout, maybe with a max runtime?
    -black metal clicky
    -lower low
    -a fifth preset when holding the button while the HDS is on

I quite like the ramping up and down and a few other ideas. Why not add a couple external contacts and add a program that automatically turns on a beacon strobe if you fall out of the boat... 7 seconds in the water and the beacon activates now THAT sounds like a challenge
    Donít Tread On Me

Lower low brings up an interesting topic. How low is low enough? All flashlights go to the same lowest of low level... off. If .02 isn't low enough, then what is? Henry and I were also talking about this the other day. What is low enough to still be useful?
    I play with dead things

I don't really have much need for lower lows, and use moonlight modes more often than firefly modes, but would be interested to hear thoughts from the ultra-low enthusiasts like @reppans

How low did the "collectors version low" go ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I don't really have much need for lower lows, and use moonlight modes more often than firefly modes, but would be interested to hear thoughts from the ultra-low enthusiasts like @reppans

How low did the "collectors version low" go ?
    To be honest, I don't actually know as I didn't put it on the sphere. Henry knew right away from the behavior of the light it was going under .02 lumens.
    I play with dead things

I have been testing out a ZL SC53w recently with its lowest low rated at 0.013 lumen. No idea how accurate that rating is and no way to test that precisely.

For practical purposes, that is nearly as low as I would expect to reasonably need. Could I use an output of half that, ~ 0.005 - 0.006 lumen ? Maybe, but it would be pretty limited for me.

I would probably use outputs from 0.5 - 5.0 lumens more than ten-fold as often though ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Lower low....hmm...time for a NVG to kick in. Torches should shine, not oposite IMHO.

Sent from Tapatalk

I do use the .02, but not much. Old eyes need more light. I'm just curious if anything lower is actually useful to anyone... I mean actually using it to see something... not as an electric tritium vial.

See, I can't even keep my own threads on topic! LOL!
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 05-08-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    A momentary Max without having to make Max your preset would be nice...
    I've read this a few times, but I finally understand. (Sorry, I'm the slow kid.) With the current software, you get maximum output if you hold the button down when the light is on. This happens because a press-hold takes you temporarily to A, and maximum is normally on the A preset. You're suggesting that we uncouple the press-hold from the A preset, so that we get maximum output regardless of what is on the A setting. This would provide access to maximum without "wasting" one of the presets. That is cool. Good idea.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Default Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

The use case scenario I came across that I found seemed to require the lowest brightness Iíve ever wanted was using my light to look up into my babyís nose to check and see if we ďgot it allĒ. In that case, I found I wanted it super super low because she wonít sit still, and Iím paranoid about accidentally shining the light in her eyes. Since Iím looking up her nose, light in the eyes is almost unavoidable. So I tested on myself and found lights need to go extremely low before they donít hurt your eyes.
    Having said that, I also feel that if this light was being used by say a first responder or EMT to check for pupil dialation, it makes sense to go very very low.
    But in the case of checking for pupil dialation, the light isnít actually being used to see something, the light is being used to check if pupils constrict in reaction to the light...
    Last edited by InvisibleFrodo; 05-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Momentary max from off..
    Click on [< 1/3 sec] = normal preset on
    ? Maybe press-hold [> 1/3 sec] = momentary max, or [PHR] just max.
    Last edited by indigon; 05-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Default Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I've read this a few times, but I finally understand. (Sorry, I'm the slow kid.) With the current software, you get maximum output if you hold the button down when the light is on. This happens because a press-hold takes you temporarily to A, and maximum is normally on the A preset. You're suggesting that we uncouple the press-hold from the A preset, so that we get maximum output regardless of what is on the A setting. This would provide access to maximum without "wasting" one of the presets. That is cool. Good idea.
    That's actually different, but interesting still. Im trying to get Max from OFF.
    I use the 3 click lockout quite a bit. I know many don't, but I do and I just wanted to make the light useful when locked out. None of my Clickies are preset to come on straight to Max on the first click from off. This would allow momentary Max from OFF.
    If you need fool proof lockout, you can still unscrew the battery tube.
    If you need fool proof Momentary, you can still turn on and activate the 6 Click Momentary option.
    If you never use the 3 click lockout, nothing changes.
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 05-08-2019 at 07:05 PM.

My only struggle with the clicky is that sometimes I want the fast strobe. I use it when walking near traffic after dark. Programming the strobe to the preset on a clicky means sacrificing a preferred output level. The alternative is programming on the fly, which can be impractical if you're standing on a street corner waiting to cross. I wish there were a way to take the strobe out of hiding without entering the menus, but I really don't want the strobe on any of my four presets.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    That's actually different, but interesting still. Im trying to get Max from OFF.
    Now I see. Could be quite a shock, though, if it's really dark and you forget you're locked out. Perhaps this would be a feature for users more graceful than I.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 05-08-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Brevity

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Could be quite a shock, though, if it's really dark and you forget you're locked out. Perhaps this would be a feature for users more graceful than I.
    Currently if you forget, you get 3 quick flashes of what looks like Max anyway. If you forget you're locked out, more than likely you're going to click and release, so presumably you'd get one flash of Max with my suggestion.

Without wishing to rekindle any debate, I'd like to say that the switch is perfect. Some things work. Other things work so well that they are a pleasure to use. For me, it's not just about the function of the switch, but the feel. It reminds me of the crisp action of a well maintained pocket knife. I like the switch so much that I run some with flush buttons and others with raised, only to bring out the subtle differences. Granted, I'm a nerd with a flashlight problem, but I'd be disappointed if the switch were significantly redesigned.

Flashaholic

Please make them in natural HA.

Flashaholic

Same as the 4 or 5 above that think the UI is perfect as is, I would like to see zero changes.
    As my non tactical light, the default medium 9 lumens is perfect for most tasks, a simple double click to make it a bit brighter, and I also love the 0.3 lumens which is perfect in the middle of the night (no more, no less), I also don't find I blind myself either as I just shield the lens when turning on, before triple clicking to get to low.
    Can't say I'd ever want to use any ramping, too slow, too fiddly, and too complicated.

Only thing I'd ever like to see are:

Better efficiency.
    1.2V capable driver (for 1 AA battery body).
    Higher maximum (which will come in time with better LEDs).
    User replaceable switch.
    - I don't make fanboy recommendations, if I recommend a light it's because it's the most practical option for your intended application.
    - Whatever light you carry, no keychain should be without a Photon Micro-Light II.

Flashaholic

Actually, one practical change that might make sense for the EDC Executive is to change to an OP reflector as standard (along with the Rotary model).
    Then keep the smooth reflector on the EDC LE and EDC Tactical, similar to the way the older Clicky Tactical models used the Golden Dragon emitter for longer throw.

FWIW I'd personally maybe prefer to stick with the smooth reflectors on both, but I'm sure Henry and yourself know what is best for practical usage.
    Last edited by GoVegan; 05-09-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    - I don't make fanboy recommendations, if I recommend a light it's because it's the most practical option for your intended application.
    - Whatever light you carry, no keychain should be without a Photon Micro-Light II.

+1 for the OP reflector

1+ 1.2V capable driver (for 1 AA battery body).

More battery options the better.

To me the switch change would eliminate many users. This is irrational, but the rotary is too much for me. A dual stage option with more programming options in an executive would probabky do me in and Id be back to carrying an elzetta Alpha. The switch in my opinion is perfect. I have 4 HDS lights. One is programmed for dog walking. Two are programmed for tactical use. And one is programmed for general edc use. Each light is setup for me to be able to get the level of light I need 99% of the time for the task at at hand. The extra levels are a bonus. Id rather buy more lights than have one that will do more.

Ok, back on track. More battery options please!

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    To me the switch change would eliminate many users. A dual stage option with more programming options in an executive would probabky do me in and Id be back to carrying an elzetta Alpha. Id rather buy more lights than have one that will do more.
    Nobody is even talking about the switch anymore...
    Perhaps a user replaceable switch could allow those users who simply cannot understand that a dual stage switch can easily function the same way as a single stage switch to physically swap it out so that they donít feel overwhelmed.
    Itís not hard to understand in my opinion, but it seems some canít comprehend it. If the dual stage function is disabled, the driver will interpret soft or hard presses in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I'm with you Arch... I actually prefer the 'brighter' moonlights in the 0.3-0.5lm range which are suitable as my general purpose low and that I use for most of my close task work in the pitch black with partially dark adapted eyes. This is a comfortable arm's length book reading output for me, not too bright with the bounce back glare, and not too dim to cause eye strain making out the words. It's painfully bright when woken from sleep, but for the two mins it takes for the middle of the night pee, I'd rather either just bounce the light off the floor/wall, or bury the bezel in my fist and using my pinky as an aperture control, rather than waste a mode slot on a lower mode. I've given up trying new lights.... too many disappointments with lights claiming 0.3-0.5 lumens and then delivering 0.10 or less fireflies. FWIW... below the 1lm mark, lights lose efficiency (in terms of lumen-hours) increasingly faster - as it gets dimmer, the driver becomes a greater drain than the LED. (PS, I don't seem to get notification of your tags... this one oddly came through tapatalk).

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    We should see crazy long low level runtimes return along with a stupid long locator flash. Spoke with Henry about this today.
    Is this a hardware thing, or will it be available as a software upgrade? I like my 325 clicky, as I can dial in just the right low lows (0.4 and 3lms), and the toggle switching between them, which represents 90% of my light useage. But my HDS see a lot of shelf time due to the inefficiency at my preferred low lows - my usual EDC consumes about ~1/3 the ma at 0.4lms, and I'm guessing ~1/2 the ma at 3lms. Efficiency is the other half of why I love low lows.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Is this a hardware thing,
    Yes. This is hardware.
    I play with dead things

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast