Sky Lumen        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

A lower low might be useful on a rotary, but I don't see myself using <0.02lm enough for it to take up a preset on a clicky. Actually both my clickies have their moonlight mode as one or tow up from lowest.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Yes. This is hardware.
    Thanks. Figured so.... I'm SOL, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    That's actually different, but interesting still. Im trying to get Max from OFF.
    A double click and hold gets me to Max (preset A) from off.

EDIT: Realized you're talking about something else, which I don't fully understand. Disregard.
    Last edited by lion504; 05-09-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    My Lights

There are some good suggestions in this thread. I vote for ramping and uncoupling max from Preset A. Like modernflame, I've wanted to add the strobe, but don't have a spot for it.
    My Lights

Surprising to me to see how many like the Clicky, always seemed much too complicated to actually use to me. That said, a Clicky with a proper ramping interface, ie. click for ON, then hold to ramp UP or DOWN. Maybe a double click for high, would make the Clicky of interest to me since while I love the rotary interface, the lack of a clip has kept me from bothering to acquire one for my own use.

One of the things mentioned, getting max without having to have a preset set to max, will require another preset (perhaps one that the user can't access).
    There is definitely some things to consider in the interface so that it doesn't become too complicated and the software can be programed so the light know what to do with a click click press click swear click swear "where the heck is my Rotary?"
    So, it's important to consider how changing one aspect can effect another aspect.
    I don't doubt Henry could teach the new elf to have 5 presets, but the elf only understands clicks and presses.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 05-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

The ramping UI would be fun, dare I say even popular. Not necessary for me, though. The clicky's got what I need.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

No more presets. 4 is plenty.

The suggestion about accessing max without a preset wasn't really a suggestion. I just misunderstood Slumber Pass and incorrectly paraphrased his post. Four presets are plenty, especially with programming enabled. I can work around the strobe issue I spoke of earlier.

Sorry guys. I confuse a lot of people. I'm horrendously inarticulate.
    I think if you already use the 3 click lockout, you'd understand though. If you don't, it sounds like gibberish.

Sorry guys. I confuse a lot of people. I'm horrendously inarticulate.
    I think if you already use the 3 click lockout, you'd understand though. If you don't, it sounds like gibberish.
    I'm going to make you explain it more until I understand! LOL!

OK. Let me see if I have it right.
    3 click lockout becomes momentary maximum... like the 6 click from off, but now you can get out of it with 3 clicks instead of a reset.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

I m lost now. Everyone knows I m a rotary man but I personally think more functions would benefit the Clicky and give the rotary more competition
    Don’t Tread On Me

EXACTLY!
    Couldn't have said it better. You must have been an English major.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    A double click and hold gets me to Max (preset A) from off.

EDIT: Realized you're talking about something else, which I don't fully understand. Disregard.
    Technically that should be written as click-press-hold-release to get to max from off. I know what you meant but think of it as a full click, then a press after that, and it makes sense.

-

Also in-case any non HDS user thinks this sounds complicated, all that means is a click to turn on to it's default primary level, then the press (hold down) always takes you to maximum (unless you change the defaults). Really simple, and intuitive.

Edit: If not already obvious, I love the Executive UI, simple and quick access to any of 4 modes with maximum always instantly available, pure genius. It's great that it's almost exactly the same UI and levels as the original HDS Ultimate back in 2004-2006, and then the later RA Clickies, with only the maximum output increasing with each design change and newer emitters.
    Last edited by GoVegan; 05-10-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Surprising to me to see how many like the Clicky, always seemed much too complicated to actually use to me. That said, a Clicky with a proper ramping interface, ie. click for ON, then hold to ramp UP or DOWN. Maybe a double click for high, would make the Clicky of interest to me since while I love the rotary interface, the lack of a clip has kept me from bothering to acquire one for my own use.
    Big +1!
    Keep it simple, present click-no click- hold-don’t hold is terrible. Simplicity is the key

Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    OK. Let me see if I have it right.
    3 click lockout becomes momentary maximum... like the 6 click from off, but now you can get out of it with 3 clicks instead of a reset.
    EXACTLY!
    Couldn't have said it better. You must have been an English major.
    Now I'm confused again. I thought you meant that max output becomes the signal that tells you the light is in lock out mode. So instead of the three flashes (Doh! Let me triple click so I can turn on my flashlight) you get a few seconds of full output.

What I'm understanding now is that we ditch the lock out feature from the programming menu and replace it with true momentary. This way, triple click gets you in and out of true momentary without a disconnect/reset? Or perhaps things just get swapped around in the programming menu? Triple click is for true momentary (no reset needed) and then it's six clicks to lock out?

Default Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Now I'm confused again. I thought you meant that max output becomes the signal that tells you the light is in lock out mode. So instead of the three flashes (Doh! Let me triple click so I can turn on my flashlight) you get a few seconds of full output.

What I'm understanding now is that we ditch the lock out feature from the programming menu and replace it with true momentary. This way, triple click gets you in and out of true momentary without a disconnect/reset? Or perhaps things just get swapped around in the programming menu? Triple click is for true momentary (no reset needed) and then it's six clicks to lock out?
    I'm so bad at this. Your first understanding is correct. But you don't get a few seconds of Max, you get Max as long as you hold the switch (Monetary Max).

6 click Pure Momentary (requiring reset) remains as is.

A proximity sensor to kick your light down automatically would be cool. Cut down on having to dumb the light down when you use it up close. And redesigning the bezel so there is a flat side to it and threaded so the light could be mounted to just about anything would also be nice.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Now I see. Could be quite a shock, though, if it's really dark and you forget you're locked out. Perhaps this would be a feature for users more graceful than I.
    I just realized you are correct. The three indicator flashes are not full output, so getting max may indeed be quite a shock.

I guess it may be better to leave well enough alone.

A more natural candle mode

Quote Originally Posted by paddyie View Post
    A more natural candle mode
    light a candle

not sure how they would achieve this. possibly slow it down, make it random, idk

...Your first understanding is correct. But you don't get a few seconds of Max, you get Max as long as you hold the switch (Monetary Max)....
    I just realized you are correct. The three indicator flashes are not full output, so getting max may indeed be quite a shock...
    Now it comes clear. The break down in communication was probably on my end. It may not be a shock, though, if you don't think of it as a lock out. What if the existing true momentary mode simply worked the way that you suggest? Six clicks to enter, six clicks to exit. It's no longer necessary to reset because the flashlight is doing something it already knows how to do, which is to lock out access, except now full output replaces the triple flash as the indicator.

I'm the furthest thing in the group from a programmer. There are probably seven reasons why that wouldn't work, but I still think you're onto something.

I think it would be nice to have a momentary mode that was activated by holding the switch when the light is off. If I could set up my HDS clicky exactly how I want it, it would work like this:

Low mode: Hold down clicky when light is powered off (click and hold to lock it on)
    Medium: Click once from off
    Med/High: Double click when light is on medium
    High: Hold down clicky when light is powered on (and click and hold to lock in)

Wouldn’t mind a muggle mode option on it. Something like 8 clicks press and it locks out everything you just get low med high.when I loan mine out it always comes back with locator flash on or something worse.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by AntoninusPius View Post
    Low mode: Hold down clicky when light is powered off (click and hold to lock it on)
    Medium: Click once from off
    Med/High: Double click when light is on medium
    High: Hold down clicky when light is powered on (and click and hold to lock in)
    I think you mean Maximum, as "High" is considered to be 110 lumens (available on the EDC LE as default).

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    when I loan mine out it always comes back with locator flash on or something worse.
    TG, you should know better after reading everyone else's experiences:
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5285198

My colleagues would have to be bleeding from their eyes before I... no wait, still wouldn't lend them a good light, not even a Microstream. lol

Mind you, if they were bleeding from their eyes they probably wouldn't need a flashlight anyway.
    P

Oh I don’t mind loaning my lights out just the aftermath of it.the only time I have loaned a light out and got really pissed was the time as a joke they took my battery out and put it back in the wrong way! Not cool an as I explained to him not a good idea first because it was a rechargeable and didn’t want my hds to get all confused an drain my cell and if it were a light without reverse battery protection could of been bad.That particular coworker no longer gets to use my stuff. If I loan out anything and I do all the time and it breaks or something and it’s not there fault I have no problem with that. But if your screwing around and break my stuff that’s a different story and you had better not ask again.

I'm amazed that you managed to be calm enough to be able to explain to him.
    I think I'd have just told him he was a F**kin' Idiot!
    It is so not funny to mess with other people's stuff.

Back on track, I'd also vote for Momentary Max from off. It is the ONLY thing that I think could be improved.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 05-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

So pick it up from off push and get max? Now that would be cool.or better yet be able to set it at any lumen.wow ya that would be convenient

I'll let you guys hash this all out but i agree with an option of true momentary from off(either max or set to desired setting)

I'm mainly waiting for the tail that will work on rotary or clicky head....or is it head that will work on rotary or clicky tail (makes more sense)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast