Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Clicky fans... Hogo is doing some research.

The Clicky (actually technically speaking, the Executive)... that red-headed step-child of HDS Systems. Once loved by all, now mostly forsaken for its sibling the head turner... well, tail turner.

Let us take this forlorn ******* child and give them some love and attention.

What improvements would you like to see specifically to the Executive?

I will start...

As was brought up many moons ago, a ramping interface... one that could be toggled on or off (I'm not interested in anything being taken away from the light, only added). Perhaps one of the presets as a ramping interface that could be programed in the brightness menu.

Things like "brighter" or "lower low" or "18500 tube" need not be mentioned as those would also apply to the fair haired sibling that has stolen the poor Clicky's thunder. Give your suggestions and ideas, but they should only apply to the Clicky. Screw his brother! (that is how you adjust his output).

Let the Clan of the Clicky speak!

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
A momentary Max without having to make Max your preset would be nice. My past suggestion was to make Max the indicator the triple click lock out is ON instead of the three flashes.
This would be a half measure between Six Click Pure Momentary and a battery tube unscrewing for complete lock out, both of which are useful.
Thanks Hogo.

parametrek

Enlightened
Ramping would be pretty sweet. The UI feels a little full already though. I'm not sure where would be a good place to fit it.

Upgrading the switch to a 2-stage camera shutter style switch would really expand the UI options. But Henry probably wouldn't approve of any of the 2-stage switches on the market. Even the good ones made by Panasonic are rated for a surprisingly low number of cycles. Then again he designed his own rotary encoder so who knows.

The rotary feature does come with a cost. It requires many more CPU cycles to monitor. The Executive doesn't have to deal with this burden. In theory this means that the runtime on the lowest level (120 hours) could be substantially better than the Rotary's runtime. And it is to a degree. But the Executive still only clocks in at 8 lumens per watt. E-switch lights from other brands can do 40 lumens per watt at similar output levels. Potentially the runtime could be 600 hours. Then it'll get you home even if you are slowly crawling the entire way :)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We should see crazy long low level runtimes return along with a stupid long locator flash. Spoke with Henry about this today.

I think the ramping UI would actually be in the brightness settings... settings 1-24 plus the strobes AND a ramping interface. In this way, one of the 4 presets could be the ramping UI, so if you want it, you can use it, and if you don't, you simply don't set it as a preset.

Interesting idea Slumber Pass... Instead of 3 flashes for the lockout, have it momentary max... I like it.

I will bring up the 2 stage switch to Henry... but I may wear body armor when I do! LOL! Switches have always caused issues, so it may be one he does not wish to tackle.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Ramping UI is an interesting idea. Maybe it could be done in the way it was handled in the legendary Liteflux LF2XT. This light had two base modes, a FUI (Full UI - in the HDS case it would be everything the Clicky currently is able to do) and a CUI (Compact UI - that was the ramping UI).

At all always interesting is an optimized energy management. I remember years ago someone did with an older HDS (don't remember it was a HDS 60 or 85 or something like that) an locator flash runtime test. The result was something with 3 years and a few month. Unfortunately the thread was in CPFMP if I remember correctly and this is gone forever. I am not sure if a currently clicky is also able to fulfill this runtime of >3 years?

I always like lights with a good energy management. Especially if the light has an electronic switch. I would rate the HDS lights (Clicky and also Rotary) to the good side of this light type. But I am pretty sure there is always room for improvement. Maybe if the electronic will be reworked this aspects can be also considered in the design. A longtime running Clicky on a low level would be cool.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We should see crazy long low level runtimes return along with a stupid long locator flash. Spoke with Henry about this today.
Just for clicky, or rotary as well? Is this part of the new brain that will be able to run on either clicky or rotary body?

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I came here to say this too. The new P18 has this two stage switch and, while it obviously can't compare to an HDS, the UI is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was intrigued by the focused throw that the titanium RaClicky had with the Golden Dragon emitter. Think it had to do with a physically small LED. Some experimentation with physically small Golden dragon like LED's and/or slightly longer reflectors and bezels to increase the focus and throw of the light would be nice.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
A momentary Max without having to make Max your preset would be nice. My past suggestion was to make Max the indicator the triple click lock out is ON instead of the three flashes.
This would be a half measure between Six Click Pure Momentary and a battery tube unscrewing for complete lock out, both of which are useful.
Thanks Hogo.

I really like this idea. Excellent suggestion. Also, previously mentioned I'm sure, greater output with 2 x cr123's. Something in the 500+ lumen range.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I count at least two people saying two stage clicky, which I know I already suggested (and described some potential applications for said two stage switch) in the suggestions thread, but got criticized basically because "It's different from what I'm used to- I don't like it"
Particularly from folks who said that's too fiddly, even though my idea was make stage two of the press behave exactly the way the single stage functions presently, so button mashers won't know the difference. Plus the two stage options and features could simply be disabled in programming.

Quick example: from off.
Hard press to access preset B
Hard press and hold to access preset A
Soft press to access preset C
Soft press and hold to access preset D

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it as is. I'm a clicky lover because it seems simple. I wouldn't want to further complicate the UI and the programming. That said I'd like to see some accessories like a diffuser, lanyard ring and perhaps a finger loop like the Thyrm. Making the light more "hands free" would be great. I'm up for experimenting with leds too. I will think about this though.

My ideal clicky would be the same UI offered today with 6volts so I have the option if needed to run 2xcr123a in my 18650 tube. More output doesn't matter. My primary user is a 120. I did order a 325nlt though...

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I give up. It's like nobody can comprehend the concept that the 2 stage switch can function EXACTLY the way the light presently functions, so if you like it the way it is, it can still function exactly the way it does now. I'm not entirely sure how counting out clicks is easier or faster or less complicated.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to give up. I get it. A two stage switch wouldn't be a deal killer if the durability is there. Still don't want it though:). I'm old school. I'd buy a single mode executive without programming.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Nick, no improvements are necessary for me.
I get on just dandy with my 170N, in fact my Ra Twisty, which is even less sophisticated, is just fine.
P

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with nmiller and Peter. No programming improvements needed for me. I can program four lumen settings however I want and can get to each of them very fast. A two stage feature would only make the light more complicated with little or maybe negative incremental value for me.

indigon

Enlightened
I'm still hoping for some type of battery indicator, though Dan mentioned variances in accuracy would be an issue. I like the one on the BOSS. Seems like I'm often putting nearly fully charged batteries into my charger because I can't keep track of them.. Some kind of indicator like 5 clicks from off would be cool.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm squarely in the "no improvement" camp. I played the rotary game and for me, with the programming ability of the clicky, the rotary lost.

The only thing I legitimately dislike about my clickies is the fact that I need to do a reset when switching batteries from rechargeable to primary. Given the "abilities" of this light, I can't figure out why this deficiency hasn't been fixed. I feel like a $300 light should be able to distinguish whether the user has switched from primary to rechargeable and vice versa.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm squarely in the "no improvement" camp. I played the rotary game and for me, with the programming ability of the clicky, the rotary lost.

The only thing I legitimately dislike about my clickies is the fact that I need to do a reset when switching batteries from rechargeable to primary. Given the "abilities" of this light, I can't figure out why this deficiency hasn't been fixed. I feel like a $300 light should be able to distinguish whether the user has switched from primary to rechargeable and vice versa.
The only input that the light has to work is the voltage of the cell. I don't see how it is possible to tell the difference between a 3.2v primary and a 3.2v empty li-ion, regardless of how much the light costs.