Malkoff        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 107 of 107

Thread: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

  1. #91

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I'll let you guys hash this all out but i agree with an option of true momentary from off(either max or set to desired setting)

    I'm mainly waiting for the tail that will work on rotary or clicky head....or is it head that will work on rotary or clicky tail (makes more sense)

    Both of these are excellent ideas.

  2. #92
    Flashaholic* Brasso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,614

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Honestly Id like another Twisty with crazy long run times.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

  3. #93
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    We all know that the rotary is a tough flashlight, but from time to time I return to the Executive product page on the HDS website just to read this passage. Kinda gives me a buzz. Not sure why, since I just carry my clicky back and forth to the office.

    "This photo was taken after the light was severely abused for two hours, starting with repeated drops from 10m (33 feet) on to concrete and them being thrown as hard as possible at concrete, rocks and steal grates or as far as possible down a paved road."
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  4. #94

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Someday I'll take clicky to repeat this experiment. Good reliability. A couple of days ago there was an accident at work, the big flashlight that we are given at work went out after 10 minutes of work, I gave my friend a jet-u, so that it shines for me. He drop the lamp to a height of less than 1 meter and it went out, well that spare executive was with me.

  5. #95
    Flashaholic* RCS1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    1,160

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    A non-roll tail cap with the ability to insert up to four Tritium vials if desired.

    I thought about purchasing the modified bezel that accepts tritium vials but that did not solve both of my issues. The first issue is that I often operate in environments that are totally black, meaning you cannot see your hand right in front of your face. I use Tritium now but it is on a lanyard which gets in the way. The second issue is the HDS light rolling away. My solution has been a lanyard attachment but that gets in the way. So, best solution for me would be a modified tail cap that will not roll and accept up to four tritium vials if desired.

    I do not want to modify the HDS bezel for non rolling because I am invested in several custom leather holsters.

  6. #96

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    A non-roll tail cap with the ability to insert up to four Tritium vials if desired.

    I thought about purchasing the modified bezel that accepts tritium vials but that did not solve both of my issues. The first issue is that I often operate in environments that are totally black, meaning you cannot see your hand right in front of your face. I use Tritium now but it is on a lanyard which gets in the way. The second issue is the HDS light rolling away. My solution has been a lanyard attachment but that gets in the way. So, best solution for me would be a modified tail cap that will not roll and accept up to four tritium vials if desired.

    I do not want to modify the HDS bezel for non rolling because I am invested in several custom leather holsters.
    The HDS tactical ring also, but square and holes for tritium. I recently talked with Don McGizmo about the device so that the flashlight does not roll in a circle, if I understood his words correctly, then it should look something like this. Now I'm just looking for a metalworking machine operator who can make such a device.


  7. #97
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I thought about purchasing the modified bezel that accepts tritium vials but that did not solve both of my issues.
    I like your idea. In the mean time, you might get by with a Surefire grip ring and locator flash.

    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  8. #98
    Flashaholic CRKDMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    282

    Default Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    The pocket clip bothers me because it does not catch on most of my pants pockets, without me pulling on it as I insert it.

    Also, it would be great to be able to turn the light on directly into different modes as I choose. More specifically moonlight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CRKDMike; 08-27-2019 at 11:16 PM.

  9. #99
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by CRKDMike View Post

    Also, it would be great to be able to turn the light on directly into different modes as I choose. More specifically moonlight.
    Mode memory seems to be a divisive feature, but I use it every night so that my executive goes directly to moonlight with one click.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  10. #100
    Flashaholic CRKDMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Mode memory seems to be a divisive feature, but I use it every night so that my executive goes directly to moonlight with one click.
    But then I only have access to the last used mode, correct? I am looking to have access to each available mode, from off, without going through other modes. If I am not mistaken, that is not possible currently.

    It is possible with Armyteks UI for example, or zebralight I believe. Not that I am suggesting to change the entire UI, but if it was possible to add access to more than one mode from off, I personally think that would be a positive change.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #101

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    It is possible to have instant access to any of the 24 output setting from off... its called a Rotary.

    You have 2 with the Clicky.

    Turn on preset (mode memory in the negative) comes factory enabled (meaning mode memory is off). The light turns on to the default setting. With the turn on preset disabled, the light turns on in the last mode used.

    From Off: the following commands are available when your flashlight is turned off:
    • Click – turns on your flashlight to preset B.
    • Press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset B. If the Pseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off when button is released.
    • Double-press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset A. If the Pseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off when button is released.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  12. #102
    Flashaholic CRKDMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    It’s really only access to preset B, because access to preset A is really not from off. The double click and hold is essentially turning the light on, then click and holding. This results in a brief moment of preset B, and then a switch to preset A. A blinding flash in some cases.
    Anyways, this thread appeared to be a place to post suggestions, changing the clip design so that it clips easier, and allowing access to more than one mode from off would be my vote.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #103
    Flashaholic* RCS1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    1,160

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by CRKDMike View Post
    But then I only have access to the last used mode, correct? I am looking to have access to each available mode, from off, without going through other modes. If I am not mistaken, that is not possible currently.
    I solve this with my HDS Executives in the following way. Turn on is moonlight and I program C and D and A to whatever I want. My moonlight is so low that you cannot notice it unless it is pitch black outside.

    To turn on the light to whatever setting I want I briefly click once to turn on, wait a millisecond and then click the level I want. So for level D I click once, wait a millisecond, and then click three times. For level C, I click once, wait a millisecond, and then click two times. I do use all four settings regularly on my HDS Executives.

    My settings roughly are:

    A = Max 200 or 325 lumens depending on the light.
    B = .05 lumens
    C = 40 lumens
    D = 130 lumens
    Last edited by RCS1300; 08-28-2019 at 12:05 PM.

  14. #104
    Flashaholic CRKDMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I solve this with my HDS Executives in the following way. Turn on is moonlight and I program C and D and A to whatever I want. My moonlight is so low that you cannot notice it unless it is pitch black outside.

    To turn on the light to whatever setting I want I briefly click once to turn on, wait a millisecond and then click the level I want. So for level D I click once, wait a millisecond, and then click three times. For level C, I click once, wait a millisecond, and then click two times. I do use all four settings regularly on my HDS Executives.

    My settings roughly are:

    A = Max 200 or 325 lumens depending on the light.
    B = .05 lumens
    C = 40 lumens
    D = 130 lumens
    Great suggestion, thanks!

    Although, this is still cumbersome IMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #105
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Quote Originally Posted by CRKDMike View Post
    Although, this is still cumbersome IMO.
    I see what you mean. The clicky UI does not enjoy universal appeal. For what it's worth to the group, I'm so accustomed to it that a change would be undesirable. Old dog, new trick and all of that.

    Have you considered a rotary? Those are kind of okay, too, I guess.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  16. #106
    Rstype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Masachussetts
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    So.... been preferring my clickys to my rotarys lately.... has this happened to anyone else?

    well reason is the light just stays on the mode you are using. No matter if I’m holding it against a tool like a sawzall to light my immediate area I’m cutting in. I did happen to have the rotary switch a few levels depending on what I was doing. Sure it’s not a big deal but yea just my recent experience.
    Last edited by Rstype; 08-28-2019 at 08:47 PM.

  17. #107

    Default Re: Calling on the Clan of the Clicky

    Out of my last 6 hds’s, 1 was a rotary. Not saying i like clickies or maybe i do?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •