SureFire L2..........release date?..........specs?

luxlover

Banned
Any updates on the release date of the SureFire L2? Any specs. available, other than what is printed in the "2004 Illumination Tools" catalog?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SureFire L2..........release date?..........sp

I don't think anyone will know until it's actually released. The Surefire catalog will probably be the only source of info until it comes out.

luxlover

Banned

Boo hoo........ It sure looks promising.

I like the 15 and 65 lumens "two beam tailcap switch" concept of the L2. The L1's outputs are 13 and 20 lumens. This output difference is so slight, that I wonder why they even made it. The L4 has a 65 lumen output, but I don't need that intensity most of the time. The L2 is a perfect mix of 25 and 65 lumens. I would imagine that this light will be a big seller to people who want the best of both worlds. Keep in mind that the ARC LSH-S gives off 14-17 lumens, their LSH-P gives off 22-25 lumens, and the Pelican M6 LED gives off 41 lumens. If one can overlook the 6.06" length of the L2, that light will serve as a blend of the light outputs of an LSH-S and an M6 LED. The list for the L2 is $165, just $5 more than the L4. I anxiously await it's arrival.

luxlover

Banned
Re: SureFire L2....release date?....specs?

How can this be? A light output of 1.3 lumens is pitiful. Is that at the tail end of the battery runtime? To get such an "exact" number, you must have measured it, unless you are ridiculing SureFire's low beam claim of 13 lumens. How is the high beam's 65 lumen output, and how long does it last?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luxlover, Surefire's website gives the high output of the L1 at 15 Lumens for about 2 hours. It doesn't give a Lumens reading for the Low output, but says it will run for about 50 hours.

On a dealer's website it gave 13 Lumens for low and 20 Lumens for high output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I think the 13 Lumens on low figure is way high.

My L1 sure looks like about 1.3 Lumens on low output. I don't have a standard CMG Infinity anymore, but it looks real similar in output.

The little dab of light from the L1 on low gets you through close up tasks and will do it for a long, long time.

But, I have been ruined with one of McGizmo's Super L1 PR-T 917ma/TWOJ Lux III mods.

As soon as he is ready to do another, my remaining stock L1 is going under Don's drill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
How can this be? A light output of 1.3 lumens is pitiful. Is that at the tail end of the battery runtime? To get such an "exact" number, you must have measured it, unless you are ridiculing SureFire's low beam claim of 13 lumens. How is the high beam's 65 lumen output, and how long does it last?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Phrase "more like 1.3" should have suggested to you that I felt that maybe Surefire dropped a decimal point. No, I haven't measured it. The output of a stock L1 on low is, as you said "pitiful" if you are expecting a bright light. If you just want enough illumination to avoid bumping into things on a dark night, or reading a map in a dar car, it's adequate to the task.

I like Very Bright, but I can also appreciate Just Enough.

Daniel

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I would agree with gadget lover the low output of the L1 is much lower than its High output.
You can get an idea of how the L1 compares to other lights in the reviews area of this forum, under output vs throw.

Keep in mind the numbers are only a general guide, not lumens or candle power.

symes

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
The L1's outputs are 13 and 20 lumens. This output difference is so slight, that I wonder why they even made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

er....no, don't think so....huge difference between the low and high beam of the L1.

I think that the low beam is around half a lumen or so...and high beam is indeed 15. That's what makes it such a flexible light for EDC. You have a great low level - reading, investigative, getting around in the dark - light, and a harder push gives you a room filling 15 lumens.

We get so used to looking at lights in the 60-500 lumen ranges that we forget just what you actually need for localised work. Try using a 65 lumen light to read a book at night...

That's why the term 'pitiful' is so unhelpful, because it assumes that everyone needs max light all the time.

The arrival of the U2 will cover all those bases I think 2-100 lumens in one beautiful light.

But the L1 is still an awesome light. Mine runs easily over 100 hours if you keep away from high beam.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
It's gotta be a typo...

[/ QUOTE ]
From Surefire no way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

luxlover

Banned

Well stated points on the "uselessness" of 65 lumens in most daily situations, and the "usefullness" and energy efficiency of 1 or 2 lumens for most daily situations.

Also, I wish to clarify my use of the word "pitiful" in reference to the stated 1.3 lumen output of the low beam on the L1 light.
When I saw the output levels of 13 and 20 lumens in the 2004 catalog, I was disappointed in the closeness of these levels. I think that when I read that many owners of the L1 have experienced drastically lower output than the 13 lumens, namely about 1 lumen, my "inexperience" with the light outputs of LEDs reared it's ugly head and showed my disappointment in the discrepency. Before I found resistance to my post about this, I thought that 1 lumen was a little flicker of an output, hardly usable in most situations. I have found out otherwise.

It was not a snobbish attitude that I took. I don't have to have blinding levels in all of my lights. I don't want it. In a dual beam device, I want a balance of very high output for those rare situations, and a much lower output for everyday situations. From what you guys have been writing, I am sure that I do not need as much as 13 or 15 lumens for a low beam level for everyday lighting needs.

I took a few days before I replied to you, because I had to think of the proper way to express my lack of knowledge of how usable a 1 lumen light level is for daily use.

Be good!