FCW/SM/GT#15 - A Flashaholic Get Together in NJ - October 4th,5th,6th.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to plan ahead for the next get together! SAVE THE DATE: October 4th, 5th, 6th. At Spruce Run State Park / Recreation Area which is located in Clinton, NJ.

For the past few years we have been combining the FCW (Flashaholics Camping Weekend) and the FSM (Flashaholics Swap Meet) as well as a general invite to get together. It is time for a new name to represent these combined events moving forward. Get ready, because I got real creative with this.... FCW/SM/GT#15 LOL (Flashaholics Camping Weekend/Swap Meet/Get Together#15) the #15 represents that this is the 15th such event. Obviously that number will increase with each new event.

FCW/SM/GT#15 Is a 3 day/2night camping trip / swap meet to buy-sell-swap lights, knives, and other cool stuff / as well as a general get together where people can come for the day, stay the night, or just join us for however long there can, and enjoy the company of other like minded individuals who share the same interests.

New name -- new location! We have never had an event at Spruce Run before, and a special thanks to Stan for suggesting this location. I personally went to the exact location of our sites, and actually met up with Stan there to check them out, and they should work out nicely for us.

Some highlights of our sites at Spruce Run. They are a nice short walk away from modern flush toilets. They are alongside the water, have some open and some shaded nice grassy areas to pitch the tents, they have the usual fire ring and picnic table, and get full cell phone coverage. And then there is the really cool bonus of the huge gazebo that our sites surround. The gazebo is a permanent structure that has a few picnic tables under it. Based on some past events where we had some rain, this will serve as a really welcome addition should we get a rainy day. It also offers a nice shady spot should the sun be abundant.

No matter what location I pick it will be a long ride for someone to get to, and no matter what date I pick it will be good/bad for someone. So I apologize for any inconveniences, and I hope that everyone can make the time to make the journey, and joins us for what is sure to be a great time.

COST: The cost will be based on how many people show up. We will simply equally divide the total by the number of people who stay. Anyone who comes just for a day/visit is welcome to toss a few dollars into helping pay for the rental of the spots. Special thanks to Stan for reserving the spots and laying out the money in advance.

The historic temps for that area show an average high temp of 69 and an average overnight low temp of 45. Which should be great camping weather.

The sites we have are 34, 35, 36, 37. By the Spruce Run rules, this area can hold 24 tents, so there should be no problem with everyone being able to find there own space.

It always amazes me that the FCW events don't draw as many people as the "in-a-house" get togethers. It just seems like a natural to me that flashlight lovers would be looking for the perfect excuse to use there lights...camping. Anyway, even if you don't want to stay overnight in a tent, you can join the get together for the day/evening etc. And if they are available, Spruce Run offers three camping cabins . These cabins do not have electric or running water, but do have a wood stove. We did not reserve any of these, and I'm sure they will be reserved way in advance, so if you want one, reserve it asap. The cabins are a short walk away from our sites.

I'll try to reach out to the usual "regulars" that have participated in previous FCWs, PFs, and FSMs - but PLEASE HELP OUT AND SPREAD THE WORD about FCW/SM/GT#15. These get together threads seem to be missed quite often. Anyone who isn't a jerk is welcome to come.

Come and meet other Flashaholics, show off your lights, check out lights others have brought with them to show or sell.

If you are planning on attending please let me know by posting here in this thread.

THINGS TO BRING: Your lights to sell / money to buy lights from others / a chair / a table if you need one to display your lights / something to eat or drink if you want.

Come to BUY, come to SELL, come to TRADE, come to CHECK OUT OTHER LIGHTS, come to SHOW OFF YOUR LIGHTS, come to JUST HANG OUT WITH FELLOW FLASHLIGHT ENTHUSIASTS!

In the past Dorcy Flashlights and Life+Gear have always provided door prizes, giveaways, and lights for review. I will reach out to them again this year to see if they can send some stuff our way.

Here is a link to Spruce Run: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/spruce.html

I will start an attendees list below. I hope to see you all there! --Tim (KartRacer31)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
FCW/SM/GT#15 OFFICIAL ATTENDEE LIST

KartRacer31 (Tim) - 1 person / 1 tent
Stan - 1 person ++ ? / 1 tent ++ ?
againthelaw - 1++ ?
Roger - overnight
MrMom - RV / adjacent site #39
Jimmy - RV / adjacent site #38
sleadhead - RV / adjacent site #33
Karl - Shelter A
Bimmerboy - 1 person / 0 tent - sleeping in car
senecaripple - +1 maybe
nein166 - coming Saturday staying overnight
MKlight - maybe
TranquilityBase - 2 people / 1 tent
Scout24 - day visit +?
Dizzy - +? overnight(s) tent
Carrot +2
Allen +4
Ziptrickhead - maybe?
Lighthouse one + Doug - Saturday

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
This post saved for additional information.

CHECK OUT PAGE TWO, POST #52 FROM STAN671 FOR PHOTOS OF THE GAZEBO AND CAMPGROUND MAP!

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in. I'll give you the head count later. The wife, kids, in-laws, cousins like it there so they're probably game

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got your message. Cool long time since the last I'll check and see if this weekend is open and get back to you.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news indeed! As of now I'm in . The wife is planning a fall trip but I'll try to keep this weekend free if possible. Looks like a great place...great lake for beamshots!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you keep me on this list. I'm coming off a 5 day camping trip in VT that ends the previous weekend. I'm going to have to see how that goes. I'll keep you updated. I've largely fallen away from the flashlight hobby, but still enjoy a great light and a great camping trip. As well as the great time I had while I was at the one I attended. If I decide to come, will there be room for a 25ft camper? I can take in guests.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you keep me on this list. I'm coming off a 5 day camping trip in VT that ends the previous weekend. I'm going to have to see how that goes. I'll keep you updated. I've largely fallen away from the flashlight hobby, but still enjoy a great light and a great camping trip. As well as the great time I had while I was at the one I attended. If I decide to come, will there be room for a 25ft camper? I can take in guests.

Hi Jimmy, it would be great to see you again! As for the 25' camper, Spruce Run is in the process of putting in water and electric at some of their sites, but currently no sites have it. The majority of the sites will accommodate a 25' trailer. It might not fit right at our sites, but it will surely fit at a number of sites that are just a very short walk away.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jimmy, it would be great to see you again! As for the 25' camper, Spruce Run is in the process of putting in water and electric at some of their sites, but currently no sites have it. The majority of the sites will accommodate a 25' trailer. It might not fit right at our sites, but it will surely fit at a number of sites that are just a very short walk away.
I don't need hookups. I can go a few days on battery and tanks. No problem there. I'll see how things are working as the dates arrive.
Looks like 4:15 to drive, probably closer to 5 with the trailer. Nice and close to I-78 though.

Last edited:

MrMom

Enlightened
I have a 24-foot motorhome. Do you suggest that I book a nearby site as you did with Jim versus splitting the cost and staying in the group area?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 24-foot motorhome. Do you suggest that I book a nearby site as you did with Jim versus splitting the cost and staying in the group area?

Hi MrMom,

Yes, getting another site close to us would be a good plan. I would suggest any of the following sites in the following order of first choice to last: #39, #38, #33, #41, #40, #59

I would suggest booking the site today, or as soon as you possibly can. They book up way in advance. Looking forward to seeing you there. Please let me know which site you get. Thanks -Tim

mendhammarsh

Enlightened
Thank you for the invite. I will not attend the get together due to the fact that I moved to Arizona ten months ago.

Marshall (mendhammarsh)

Stan671

Enlightened
I posted a campground map and gazebo pictures further down on page 2 of this thread.

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the invite. I will not attend the get together due to the fact that I moved to Arizona ten months ago.

Marshall (mendhammarsh)

Geez, it's only on the opposite side of the country! LOL Sorry to hear you can't make it, and congrats on the move to snny AZ. Get yourself some good UV lights and look out for those scorpions.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in. I'll give you the head count later. The wife, kids, in-laws, cousins like it there so they're probably game

Great, be sure to bring some more great deals on lights you bought, turned on once and want to sell at a huge discount! :)