Duty Light Recommendations

FCV03

Newly Enlightened
I work the midnight shift in an urban area - while there are plenty of streetlights, there are also a seemingly endless supply of pitch black basements and darkened backyards that would benefit with a good bit of light!

I'm in the process of looking for a new duty light so I can relegate my Streamlight Stinger LED HL to backup work. I've been having a few issues with it going dim abruptly and after only a few minutes of continuous usage (I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a new battery to see if that mitigates the trouble I've been having with it, and if not I'll send it in for repair), but I'd like to see what other options are available. I previously carried a Maglite ML150LR, and while I liked it, I found that the side switch was so shallow that it would accidentally turn on constantly and it was hard to find with gloves, and that the head loosened to the point that attempting to hold it in a tactical fashion would always throw its spot/flood focus off. (I'm waiting for Maglite to get back to me to see if that latter issue can be helped at all.) The Streamlight ProTac HL-5X seems like a good option, but I've been somewhat hesitant as I've heard mixed things about the reliability of early units.

With that said, let's move on to the template.

----

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200

3) Format:
Handheld

4) Size:
Small to Medium (4-12 inches). As long as I can tuck it under my arm if I need to write something down or handle documents it'll be fine.

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED

6) Manufacturer:
Traditional manufacturer, ready to go out of the box

7) What power source do you want to use?
Rechargeable batteries.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
Wall cradle, standalone charger, or removable batteries. As long as the batteries can be recharged, it's not too big of an issue.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
The brighter the better, though multi-brightness modes are appreciated. The Stinger and Maglite I was using up until now seemed to be fine, but more illumination on the high setting never hurts.

Burst/Turbo mode Category
Prefer to avoid

9) Flood vs Throw
Wide throw or adjustable would probably be best. While I'll mostly be using the light for fairly close subjects (backyards, rooms, sheds, etc), there are times that being able to illuminate the address of a house at the end of a block or a license plate of a faraway car can be handy.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
[X] Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
[X] Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
[X] 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
[X] 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
[Not a must but would be nice] 50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
[ ] 150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime
The longer the better. I'll probably pick up a spare battery or two to keep in my bag in case though.

11) Durability/Usage
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I'd like a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only), and I definitely prefer a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anything that isn't plastic.

15) Water resistance
As long as it holds up while standing out in the pouring rain/snow I'll be happy with it. I'll try to avoid dropping it in said rain/snow. :)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment) and on a duty belt

17) Special Needs/extras:
Needs to have a decent belt holster available for it, or fit existing generic-sized ones.

Thanks for giving this thread a look!

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check into a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650. High end of the budget but ask about a leo discount. I'm pretty sure he offers one. The turnkey package has charger and battery included.

His M91t, M61HOT with hi/lo rings would be a good option too. All take rechargable batteries and are very durable.

His lights also fit a variety of holsters. A quick search will find you one,

GoVegan

Enlightened

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this similar thread, it just saves me typing out the same info again! LOL

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?426854-Law-Enforcement-Flashlight-Recommendation

I still like the Malkoff M91T MD3 which runs on 2 x 18500 Li-ion batteries, it'll run on high (750 Lumens) for about 1 1/2 hours, the low setting is ideal for many tasks especially checking documents etc.

Small enough to be on your duty belt 24/7 and would make an ideal back up to the Stinger. It doesn't have a strobe mode and it won't out throw the stinger.

Photo of Stinger and M91T MD3 for size comparison.

32872806777_c2ba45685c_c.jpg

If you do buy the M91T don't forget to get the optional High/Low ring fitted.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad you chimed in Dave. When the topic is one like this I always remember your excellent and relevant posts.

FCV, if you do nothing else, take note of this man. He knows his stuff.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Malkoff Hound Dog, either the single 18650 version or the higher voltage XML version. I'd let form factor and your choice of holster decide between the two. My preference would be for the single 18650 version. If you treat it like a punching bag, it will smile and ask for seconds.

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
The hound dog 18650 with hi/low ring is hard to beat, great runtime and stupid tough. I use it all the time inspecting under trains where it gets thrashed, then wash it off in the sink and it's always ready to go.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the lights that I've compared for duty use.

47030053484_3663cf693c_b.jpg

L - R

2D Maglite, in my opinion too big. My one was an incan but I've upgraded it with a 1000 lumen 3-mode unit, very good throw but not enough spill.

Streamlight Stinger HL DS, good all round light at a good price. Low mode could do with being lower perhaps.

Malkoff Hound Dog V3, same LED and reflector as the current 18650 version, mine has the MD4 body (2 x 18650) which is nice but doesn't out do the Stinger except sheer robustness and perhaps run time.

Surefire R1 Lawman Intellibeam, good duty light but now deleted from the range, stupidly expensive with similar features to the much cheaper Stinger.

Malkoff M91T MD3 will give the Hound Dog a run for it's money in a much smaller package.

Surefire Fury which is similar to the G2X/6PX range that are currently available, available in dual output versions, 15/600 lumens, will run on a 16650 battery as well as 2 x CR123's.

Malkoff MD2 which is available with a variety of P60 modules, the M61Hot would be comparable to the M91T but in a shorter body.

The Surefire Fury, the Malkoff MD2 and the Malkoff HoundDog 18650 (not the one in the photo) probably won't be suitable for tucking under your arm.

FCV03

Newly Enlightened
A big thanks to everyone that went to the trouble of typing out a reply. You've all given me quite a lot to consider!

Check into a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650. High end of the budget but ask about a leo discount. I'm pretty sure he offers one. The turnkey package has charger and battery included.

His M91t, M61HOT with hi/lo rings would be a good option too. All take rechargable batteries and are very durable.

His lights also fit a variety of holsters. A quick search will find you one,

I recommend the Malkoff Hound Dog, either the single 18650 version or the higher voltage XML version. I'd let form factor and your choice of holster decide between the two. My preference would be for the single 18650 version. If you treat it like a punching bag, it will smile and ask for seconds.

The hound dog 18650 with hi/low ring is hard to beat, great runtime and stupid tough. I use it all the time inspecting under trains where it gets thrashed, then wash it off in the sink and it's always ready to go.

I hadn't heard of Malkoff's stuff prior to this thread, and I have to say that his products appear to be of considerable quality. Thanks for the recommendations - by all appearances he's certainly earned them!

If for LE duty you should look at Brite Stike and ASP range of duty lights too, especially their rechargeable lights.

https://www.brite-strike.com/product-category/police-military/
https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/duty

Normally I'd recommend the Streetlight Stinger (non HP model for longer runtime), anyway I think the new battery should solve your issue.

Make sure you have a good pocket backup light too, never rely on just one light.

I believe you're correct about the new battery. As far as I can tell my Stinger HL is no longer exhibiting its rapid dimming issue with its new battery installed. I figured I'd do my due diligence with testing and was still able to replicate the problem with the old battery again today. Thanks for the latter tip as well.

Some of the lights that I've compared for duty use.

47030053484_3663cf693c_b.jpg

L - R

2D Maglite, in my opinion too big. My one was an incan but I've upgraded it with a 1000 lumen 3-mode unit, very good throw but not enough spill.

Streamlight Stinger HL DS, good all round light at a good price. Low mode could do with being lower perhaps.

Malkoff Hound Dog V3, same LED and reflector as the current 18650 version, mine has the MD4 body (2 x 18650) which is nice but doesn't out do the Stinger except sheer robustness and perhaps run time.

Surefire R1 Lawman Intellibeam, good duty light but now deleted from the range, stupidly expensive with similar features to the much cheaper Stinger.

Malkoff M91T MD3 will give the Hound Dog a run for it's money in a much smaller package.

Surefire Fury which is similar to the G2X/6PX range that are currently available, available in dual output versions, 15/600 lumens, will run on a 16650 battery as well as 2 x CR123's.

Malkoff MD2 which is available with a variety of P60 modules, the M61Hot would be comparable to the M91T but in a shorter body.

The Surefire Fury, the Malkoff MD2 and the Malkoff HoundDog 18650 (not the one in the photo) probably won't be suitable for tucking under your arm.

Suffice it to say that this and your previous writeup, along with the size-comparison shot above, was immensely helpful. This is also a much better indication of Malkoff's options' sizes as compared to similar lights. It's difficult to get an overall idea of length with the various head and body sizes he offers IMO.

---

I think I'm going to purchase both a Malkoff (either a Houndog turnkey, XM-L model, or one of the pocket sized ones) and a Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X, and run them both through their paces to see which works best for me as a primary light (or as a secondary in the case of the smaller Malkoff if I keep the Stinger as a primary). I love the looks and good reviews of the Malkoff products, though the lack of a body-mounted switch option and the similar light output to my current Stinger makes me want to keep my options open to something rated brighter to see if it's beneficial at all. I'll update this thread with my thoughts on the two once I get a hold of them. Thanks again for all of your assistance, gentlemen!

matt4350

Enlightened
All the lights recommended here are good choices for sure, although the OP did state he wanted a side switch near the head that did momentary. This being the case, I shall recommend he takes a look at Eagletac's GX25L2, or the SX25L2 (I've used this as a duty light and it fits in the NiteIze stretch holster, and performs like a champ). If he wanted something smaller he could look at Eagletac's T series lights.

If I may digress, I bought a Malkoff M91T on Dave D's recommendation and I use the MD4 body (started with MD3 but decided I wanted more runtime). I can't think of a better light for the size/purpose/versatility if you were after a slim duty light and wanted a tail cap switch. So here's cheers to Dave for sharing his knowledge :)

FCV03

Newly Enlightened
All the lights recommended here are good choices for sure, although the OP did state he wanted a side switch near the head that did momentary. This being the case, I shall recommend he takes a look at Eagletac's GX25L2, or the SX25L2 (I've used this as a duty light and it fits in the NiteIze stretch holster, and performs like a champ). If he wanted something smaller he could look at Eagletac's T series lights.

If I may digress, I bought a Malkoff M91T on Dave D's recommendation and I use the MD4 body (started with MD3 but decided I wanted more runtime). I can't think of a better light for the size/purpose/versatility if you were after a slim duty light and wanted a tail cap switch. So here's cheers to Dave for sharing his knowledge :)

You're right about that - the one thing I don't like about Malkoff's lights is the lack of an option for a side/body mounted switch near the head. It tends to be comfier for me on a Stinger-sized and up light. Eagletac has some nice products - the GX30L2 in particular seems like a good option. Not sure when my other reply will be approved and post, but while I planned to pick up the Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X and a Malkoff, I think I might add an Eagletec to the prospective purchases for the future. Thanks!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
A big thanks to everyone that went to the trouble of typing out a reply. You've all given me quite a lot to consider! ....

I think I'm going to purchase both a Malkoff (either a Houndog turnkey, XM-L model, or one of the pocket sized ones) and a Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X .... I'll update this thread with my thoughts on the two once I get a hold of them. Thanks again for all of your assistance, gentlemen!

You're welcome, and congrats ! I think you have made an excellent choice.

Thank you, too, for any (future) updates. CPF especially appreciates new members who return to post follow up thoughts on their "Recommend" threads :)

.... Not sure when my other reply will be approved and post ....

Should be all set now ;)

FCV03

Newly Enlightened
You're welcome, and congrats ! I think you have made an excellent choice.

Thank you, too, for any (future) updates. CPF especially appreciates new members who return to post follow up thoughts on their "Recommend" threads :)

Should be all set now ;)

I appreciate it, and many thanks for the approvals. :D

FCV03

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the latest 800 lumen version of the Stinger HL or the earlier 640 version?

I have the 800 lumen version, purchased from Amazon in December 2018.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 800 lumen version, purchased from Amazon in December 2018.

It's a good package! I have the DS version because I prefer tail switches, saves any difficulty in finding the orientation of the head switch in a hurry.

I will have to try out the Strion HL which has 700 lumen but you can also get the DS version of that which also has the head switch, miniature version of the Stinger.

Stay safe! :thumbsup: