Why EDCL2 T throws better than Defender?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A fellow flashaholic asked me "why does the 1200 lumen EDCL2 T throw so much better than his 1000 lumen Defender?" That (in his words) has a very similar optic.

Is it pure optic shape or perhaps does the LED model play a role?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a tough question to answer without having both of them side by side. In my mind, there could be several reasons why, whether it actually does or it's just perceived.

• Beam profile. Maybe one has less spill than the other and since your near field vision isn't blown out by the surrounding light, it's able to focus on the object in the distance better.
  • Tint and CRI of the LED. Maybe one has an LED that renders colors better than the other so the eye can pick out more details of the object and thus makes you think it throws better.
  • 1200L vs 1000L. If you tell your mind that one is brighter, it's going to think one is brighter and the throw is perceived to be better.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks fellows.

Op cited numbers by SureFire saying L2 T throws 400+ meters and his E2D is cited as 200 meters. I speculated the new optic for the L2 T was designed around a ton of throw to please E2 fans while trying to scratch the 'max throw' itch for others. Being the E2D was more aimed at the 'max vision' folks with some good old E2 throw in the mix.

I just did not know if it was a pure optic thing where SureFire up'd the overdrive to the LED for the L2T or if they used differing LED's, one of which is just a better thrower. I'm not up to speed on the LED makes and models beam-throw-wise.

I own an L2 T but not the 1000 lumen E2D so I did not have one to side by side with my 2T.

From what he was saying one light with only 200 more lumens is more than double the throw.

I'll just tell him "it's a PK thing and I don't understand" (knowing PK did not design either one but perhaps his ideas from long ago were used).

Up All Night

Enlightened
byk,

It would seem your fellow flashaholic is going by specs on Surefire's early error filled packaging for EDCL2.