How much for a shop to replace all brake cables???

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how much a shop would charge to replace all of the brake cables, including the emergency brake cable?, I would do it myself but I am clueless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif, Thanks in advance.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
Re: How much for a shop to replace all brake cable

sorry, I forgot to put that. But yah its the 69 chev, I am just about finished with it to get it on the road, but wanted to get them cables changed first

cy

Flashaholic
Re: How much for a shop to replace all brake cable

The general formula to determine price for almost any automotive repair job is:

1. lookup or ask a shop for the flat rate hours for that particular job. example: frt brake pad R&R. 1.25 hours. If the mechanic is experienced at that model, it may only take him/her 30 minutes to do the job. They will still charge you 1.25 hours. If they take 2 hours, they will still charge you 1.25 hours.

2. find out the shop hourly rate, which will be anywhere from $25 hr to $100 hr depending upon where in the country and speciality shop etc.

3. find out the parts cost by calling several parts stores. some shops will mark up parts, some will allow you to bring parts, but will not guarantee labor etc.

Take the shop rate multiplied by flate rate hours = your labor charge, then add parts cost.

If you have a "dumb" question, ask an experienced parts guy. They will more likely help you out VS a mechanic who doesn't get paid to tell you how do the job. It may have took that mechanic years to get the experience. Why should they give it away for free?

This is the way most shops will bid jobs. There are several flat rate books available. Some shops will have a computerized service to bid. Search you library. The best/easiest way is to ask several mechanics the same three questions.

Over the years, I've told this method to hundreds of women and men looking for help. It has never failed me. (I used to be in the Auto Parts business)

You will find out in a hurry who is shooting you straight.

Thanks,
CY