Nitecore TIP2 has Landed!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen one of these here yet?

In a moment of weakness the other day I ordered one directly from Nitecore and BAM!

So I have had it out of the box just long enough for Pics and brief quiet time and here are my first impressions.

-Magnets are actually INSANE! I don't think I need to worry about the USB port being accidentily exposed because of the magnets and I was afraid I might break something getting the cap off! I see this as a good thing.

-Pretty Damn Bright!

-Much more solid than the original as it is an ingot of Aluminum CNC'd out to be a light!

-Magnet sticks badly to EVERYTHING!

-Clip is a slide on plastic crappy seeming afterthought really.cheap in every way.

-Emitter is Bright White at first blush and of course I am blinded now for it. Wish I had waited for HiCri like Idid with the original but the White is far from the worst that I have ever seen too.

These are my first try observations and I have no idea about the lockout yet or anything else really but I will before long!

It seems pretty nice so far!

bdf6d157672b79d4fe5727943f58fd6f.jpg27bb21bbb4cb64323a5400fd14438643.jpgd799542b2a57d28d0912edb42dbc7b5d.jpgfe6bb64c843468206ca17e03bfff678d.jpgfbbb56529cae4c1f25707bb7ad20b57e.jpg383e18ed7eec42dc24fa343d1d7dd7df.jpg6131ffec7793d3ad53f58e3236794846.jpg8d3c42ee8cb69fbef06de5cd4677ab06.jpg

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Ok pics and review or it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that did not last long.

There seems to be no Lockout Mode on the new TIP at all!

I am awaiting the RMA# to send this one back already.

What are they thinking?

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks AVService for your initial impressions. I also have the TIP Hi CRI and it looks almost like your's with the scuffed up grey. ;)

Do you have any comparison shots of Turbo mode for both lights?

The magnets and lockout are two potential no-go's for me... Do you find they stick to keys a bit to well? I attach my keys to the NC TIP so that may be an issue. Also, did the TIP2 turn on by itself in your pocket? It happened to me so often with the TIP that I swapped it out for my SF Titan, then I started using the Lumintop Geek that doesn't really have the same issue. It seems the way NC is advertising it, they are suggesting that the slight recessed switches prevent that from happening - just wondering if that was true.55

I do have to say that I really love the form factor and the CNC Al housing though.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, Does the switch have a delay when turning on? or is it instant on?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch needs to be held for 2 seconds to turn the light on either from the main button to the last used mode or the Mode button for Momentary only Turbo.
No direct access to lowest mode and no locking Turbo mode.

I had the light out of the box for maybe 10 minutes before I realized it has no Lockout and I put it back to be returned.

The Magnets are literally unbelievable they are so strong that anything in your pocket will surely stick to the light.
The Lights Clip sticks to the Magnets and the other Tips clip in the pics I posted stuck to the magnets so badly that it took a minute to pose the shot until I could find a position where this would not happen!
I was afraid that the clip might detach to easily as it has on other lights I have had with a Magnet rear but this is one thing I no longer can imagine happening on this light,the magnets are that strong!

As I said I pretty much was in love with the light and then I discovered the no lockout and this is a simple deal breaker for me.
I even called Nitecore to make certain that I was correct about the Lockout ad they seemed to not really even comprehend the issue?
I was told to leave it in Demo Mode and that would make sure it will stay iff in pocket somehow?
I said that if it turns on in the first place then it might go off in 30 seconds but then is sure to turn back on and the Woman I spoke to just could not grasp what I was saying,she said that she would talk to Nitecore in China about why they made it like this!
Not impressed.

I have not had a single Nitcore pocket light yet that would not turn on in pocket but at least most of the others did have some version of a Lockout Mode.
I thought for sure that the TUP would not let me down but then like all the rest of them it turns on in my pocket as well?

Why not put a little sliding cover over the damn buttons or something simple and foolproof?

So Close yet So Far.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 second delay is so annoying.
That's a deal breaker for me.

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Ugh ...sorry you ended up not liking it but thanks for sharing!!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh ...sorry you ended up not liking it but thanks for sharing!!

Of course I would share my experience with it!

Also I almost Loved it.

I just know that it won't work in my pocket where EVERY light seems to turn on somehow.

I also have 4 different Car Key Fobs that I carry and a Honda one also will ALWAYS engage in pocket if I am sitting down?
I hear the car horn blaring and I know it happened so I leave the stupid thing out of my pocket while at home.

I have 2 Toyota and 1 Mercedes Fob that are just fine and have never engaged unless I mean them to ?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading first impressions, I think I will now pass.

Connor

Enlightened
Reading "TIP2" got me excited but as others said before me:
- I don't want magnets on my EDC flashlight
- 2 seconds delay for turn-on is a 100% dealbreaker

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading "TIP2" got me excited but as others said before me:
- I don't want magnets on my EDC flashlight
- 2 seconds delay for turn-on is a 100% dealbreaker
I love the look of the TIP2, but I agree the magnets are a no-go. I do not own a TIP2 and do not plan on getting one.

I usually keep my pocket EDC in a different pocket from my wallet. But sometimes when I take stuff out of my pockets everything gets put in a pile. Plus the pocket I do keep my light in also has my keys, Victorinox mini pocketknife and some pens.

The magnet on the TIP2 is enormously strong for a keychain flashlight. According to Nitecore's advertising it's strong enough to hold 5.5 lbs! ... that's gotta be much stronger than the magnet on any other light.

Put another way: You could attach a fully-loaded BLF GT flashlight (with eight 18650s inside) to your keychain with your keys and then dangle your keychain from the TIP2. The magnets in the TIP2 would easily be strong enough to carry the GT and all its batteries. This is much MUCH too strong a magnet for a pocket EDC.

I could imagine that if this thing got without a few inches of my wallet it would probably demagnetize every card inside with a magnetic strip. And my keys, knife and pens would be glued to it by the magnets making for quite uncomfortable pocket EDC.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Of course I would share my experience with it!

Also I almost Loved it.

I just know that it won't work in my pocket where EVERY light seems to turn on somehow.

I also have 4 different Car Key Fobs that I carry and a Honda one also will ALWAYS engage in pocket if I am sitting down?
I hear the car horn blaring and I know it happened so I leave the stupid thing out of my pocket while at home.

I have 2 Toyota and 1 Mercedes Fob that are just fine and have never engaged unless I mean them to ?
Thanks for sharing AVService - very helpful!

The 2 second delay is annoying but I was going to grudgingly live with it. But, most lights turn on in my pocket as well, even the Lumintop Geek, which I thought had some weird magic, until i found it on in my pocket this week. :rolleyes: At least with that light, there is a lockout... with minimal parasitic drain.

Agreed that they need some lockout or some slider to conceal the buttons. And, imo, the magnets are really not necessary.. not sure why that is a thing to have!

Guess I'm waiting for the TIP2 v2.0. :mad:

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing AVService - very helpful!

Agreed that they need some lockout or some slider to conceal the buttons. And, imo, the magnets are really not necessary.. not sure why that is a thing to have!

It might be possible to make some kind of slider to protect the switch out of sheet aluminum and tape. Would look pretty ugly though.

The magnets can be demagnetized with a soldering iron or possibly removed. but without the magnets the back of the light with the clip ring and USB cover won't stay on so I don't see that as viable. I think Nitecore should have designed this so that the back section snapped in rather than being held by magnets.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for a few days now and here are my thoughts:
1. The turbo is outstanding and the hi is very solid.
2. The beam is an improvement over the TIP 1. It's more filled in, and it throws further.
3. The switches are Much Less prone to accidental activation than the original TIP.
4. However, I do like the UI of the TIP 1 better because there is instant access to low or hi. There is no delay to turn on the old version either.
5. The size and shape of the aluminum body are great in the hand.
6. I am undecided about the magnet, but worry it will ruin a watch.
7. The dual optics are cool!