Imalent        

Thread: Nitecore TIP2 has Landed!

Default Nitecore TIP2 has Landed!

I have not seen one of these here yet?

In a moment of weakness the other day I ordered one directly from Nitecore and BAM!

So I have had it out of the box just long enough for Pics and brief quiet time and here are my first impressions.

-Magnets are actually INSANE! I don't think I need to worry about the USB port being accidentily exposed because of the magnets and I was afraid I might break something getting the cap off! I see this as a good thing.

-Pretty Damn Bright!

-Much more solid than the original as it is an ingot of Aluminum CNC'd out to be a light!

-Magnet sticks badly to EVERYTHING!

-Clip is a slide on plastic crappy seeming afterthought really.cheap in every way.

-Emitter is Bright White at first blush and of course I am blinded now for it. Wish I had waited for HiCri like Idid with the original but the White is far from the worst that I have ever seen too.

These are my first try observations and I have no idea about the lockout yet or anything else really but I will before long!

It seems pretty nice so far!

Last edited by AVService; 05-13-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Default Re: Nitecore TIP2 has Landed!

Ok pics and review or it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman3 View Post
    Ok pics and review or it never happened.

Man,Tough Room!

I post Text from computer but pics from Phone so it takes me a minute to get the whole post going!

Well that did not last long.

There seems to be no Lockout Mode on the new TIP at all!

I am awaiting the RMA# to send this one back already.

What are they thinking?

Enlightened

Thanks AVService for your initial impressions. I also have the TIP Hi CRI and it looks almost like your's with the scuffed up grey.

Do you have any comparison shots of Turbo mode for both lights?

The magnets and lockout are two potential no-go's for me... Do you find they stick to keys a bit to well? I attach my keys to the NC TIP so that may be an issue. Also, did the TIP2 turn on by itself in your pocket? It happened to me so often with the TIP that I swapped it out for my SF Titan, then I started using the Lumintop Geek that doesn't really have the same issue. It seems the way NC is advertising it, they are suggesting that the slight recessed switches prevent that from happening - just wondering if that was true.55

I do have to say that I really love the form factor and the CNC Al housing though.
    SF 6P, E1e, E2e, C2, M2, M3, Z2, HDS60GT, Zebralight 600W MKIV., EDC rotation: Nitecore TIP, Lumintop Geek, MecArmy PT16, SF Titan Plus, Jetbeam RRT-0, SF E1e w/ Tana Nichia B219 TripLED

Thanks for the review, Does the switch have a delay when turning on? or is it instant on?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6ppca View Post
    Thanks for the review, Does the switch have a delay when turning on? or is it instant on?
    Yeah, it looks like a 2-3 sec delay. Check out the official Nitecore YouTube vid: https://youtu.be/CWbplYKXINc.
    SF 6P, E1e, E2e, C2, M2, M3, Z2, HDS60GT, Zebralight 600W MKIV., EDC rotation: Nitecore TIP, Lumintop Geek, MecArmy PT16, SF Titan Plus, Jetbeam RRT-0, SF E1e w/ Tana Nichia B219 TripLED

The switch needs to be held for 2 seconds to turn the light on either from the main button to the last used mode or the Mode button for Momentary only Turbo.
    No direct access to lowest mode and no locking Turbo mode.

I had the light out of the box for maybe 10 minutes before I realized it has no Lockout and I put it back to be returned.

The Magnets are literally unbelievable they are so strong that anything in your pocket will surely stick to the light.
    The Lights Clip sticks to the Magnets and the other Tips clip in the pics I posted stuck to the magnets so badly that it took a minute to pose the shot until I could find a position where this would not happen!
    I was afraid that the clip might detach to easily as it has on other lights I have had with a Magnet rear but this is one thing I no longer can imagine happening on this light,the magnets are that strong!

As I said I pretty much was in love with the light and then I discovered the no lockout and this is a simple deal breaker for me.
    I even called Nitecore to make certain that I was correct about the Lockout ad they seemed to not really even comprehend the issue?
    I was told to leave it in Demo Mode and that would make sure it will stay iff in pocket somehow?
    I said that if it turns on in the first place then it might go off in 30 seconds but then is sure to turn back on and the Woman I spoke to just could not grasp what I was saying,she said that she would talk to Nitecore in China about why they made it like this!
    Not impressed.

I have not had a single Nitcore pocket light yet that would not turn on in pocket but at least most of the others did have some version of a Lockout Mode.
    I thought for sure that the TUP would not let me down but then like all the rest of them it turns on in my pocket as well?

Why not put a little sliding cover over the damn buttons or something simple and foolproof?

So Close yet So Far.
    Last edited by AVService; 05-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.

The 2 second delay is so annoying.
    Thatís a deal breaker for me.

Ugh ...sorry you ended up not liking it but thanks for sharing!!

Ugh ...sorry you ended up not liking it but thanks for sharing!!

Of course I would share my experience with it!

Also I almost Loved it.

I just know that it won't work in my pocket where EVERY light seems to turn on somehow.

I also have 4 different Car Key Fobs that I carry and a Honda one also will ALWAYS engage in pocket if I am sitting down?
    I hear the car horn blaring and I know it happened so I leave the stupid thing out of my pocket while at home.

I have 2 Toyota and 1 Mercedes Fob that are just fine and have never engaged unless I mean them to ?

Try some 511 pants lol

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Try some 511 pants lol

Or some ScotteVest pants.

Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

Reading first impressions, I think I will now pass.

Reading "TIP2" got me excited but as others said before me:
    - I don't want magnets on my EDC flashlight
    - 2 seconds delay for turn-on is a 100% dealbreaker
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Reading "TIP2" got me excited but as others said before me:
    - I don't want magnets on my EDC flashlight
    - 2 seconds delay for turn-on is a 100% dealbreaker
    I love the look of the TIP2, but I agree the magnets are a no-go. I do not own a TIP2 and do not plan on getting one.

I usually keep my pocket EDC in a different pocket from my wallet. But sometimes when I take stuff out of my pockets everything gets put in a pile. Plus the pocket I do keep my light in also has my keys, Victorinox mini pocketknife and some pens.

The magnet on the TIP2 is enormously strong for a keychain flashlight. According to Nitecore's advertising it's strong enough to hold 5.5 lbs! ... that's gotta be much stronger than the magnet on any other light.

Put another way: You could attach a fully-loaded BLF GT flashlight (with eight 18650s inside) to your keychain with your keys and then dangle your keychain from the TIP2. The magnets in the TIP2 would easily be strong enough to carry the GT and all its batteries. This is much MUCH too strong a magnet for a pocket EDC.

I could imagine that if this thing got without a few inches of my wallet it would probably demagnetize every card inside with a magnetic strip. And my keys, knife and pens would be glued to it by the magnets making for quite uncomfortable pocket EDC.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Of course I would share my experience with it!

Also I almost Loved it.

I just know that it won't work in my pocket where EVERY light seems to turn on somehow.

I also have 4 different Car Key Fobs that I carry and a Honda one also will ALWAYS engage in pocket if I am sitting down?
    I hear the car horn blaring and I know it happened so I leave the stupid thing out of my pocket while at home.

I have 2 Toyota and 1 Mercedes Fob that are just fine and have never engaged unless I mean them to ?
    Thanks for sharing AVService - very helpful!

The 2 second delay is annoying but I was going to grudgingly live with it. But, most lights turn on in my pocket as well, even the Lumintop Geek, which I thought had some weird magic, until i found it on in my pocket this week. At least with that light, there is a lockout... with minimal parasitic drain.

Agreed that they need some lockout or some slider to conceal the buttons. And, imo, the magnets are really not necessary.. not sure why that is a thing to have!

Guess I'm waiting for the TIP2 v2.0.
    Last edited by LogansRun; 05-14-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansRun View Post
    Thanks for sharing AVService - very helpful!

Agreed that they need some lockout or some slider to conceal the buttons. And, imo, the magnets are really not necessary.. not sure why that is a thing to have!
    It might be possible to make some kind of slider to protect the switch out of sheet aluminum and tape. Would look pretty ugly though.

The magnets can be demagnetized with a soldering iron or possibly removed. but without the magnets the back of the light with the clip ring and USB cover won't stay on so I don't see that as viable. I think Nitecore should have designed this so that the back section snapped in rather than being held by magnets.

I've had mine for a few days now and here are my thoughts:
    1. The turbo is outstanding and the hi is very solid.
    2. The beam is an improvement over the TIP 1. It's more filled in, and it throws further.
    3. The switches are Much Less prone to accidental activation than the original TIP.
    4. However, I do like the UI of the TIP 1 better because there is instant access to low or hi. There is no delay to turn on the old version either.
    5. The size and shape of the aluminum body are great in the hand.
    6. I am undecided about the magnet, but worry it will ruin a watch.
    7. The dual optics are cool!

I think I like the TUP better...I do like the dual emitters though.

Thanks for your thoughts about the light. I was never a big fan of version 1. I already like the shape and construction of this version more.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the reviews, especially the size comparison pic next to the original TIP. I almost bought a TIP2 this past weekend, and am glad I didn't. Size of the light was an initial concern, but the comparison pic more or less resolves that issue. However, price is high for a keychain light, as I like to give keychain lights as gifts, and $45 is steep, especially since most people usually have no clue about the value of a light.

The too-strong magnet is a concern, but even more so, is the delayed "on." The delay on the Tini irritates me to no end, so I usually use it only in turbo with the momentary, "instant on." Lockout is less of a concern, as I have the lights on retractable lanyards attached to the exterior of gear bags. Still, there have been multiple instances of accidental activation. I just don't understand how Nitecore can't seem to correct this issue without having to resort to cumbersome clips/covers and/or lockout features. I've said it many times before, but I don't recall ever having this problem with my old EDC, the discontinued Photon Rex. Now that was a great keychain light--dim by today's standards, but ahead of its time back then...and still superior in some ways with its charging options, including solar.
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.