All-night run-time for Ultramarathons

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, first post here in CPF. I've been lurking in the background for some time now reading up and learning what I can. I still haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I'd just ask.

I'm specifically looking for a headlamp for ultramarathons i.e running through trails and rough terrain in some cases the whole way through the night.

In simpler terms I'm looking for a head mounted flood beam that can push out 200-300lm for ideally up to 14hours without battery change. A larger external battery pack is fine, whether mounted on the back of head strap or extension to waist/backpack. Ideally rechargeable and somewhat common batteries such as 18650's would be good. Also needs to be waterproof for heavy rain. No particular budget, but it'd be nice to be <$250.

I haven't really come across any off-the-shelf options that meet these requirements as far as run time is concerned as most commercial headlamps only seem to use a single 18650 cell or other custom ~2000mAh cell. So, I'm open to mods or even consulting a custom builder.

I know up to 300lm all night may seem overkill but that's kind of the point. I'm hoping for a simple light that just does what it needs to the whole night without stuffing around changing lighting modes or batteries. And I have no need for it to throw far since I use a hand-held thrower for the odd time where it's necessary.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
the Acebeam h30 is my headlamp on order. but it runs on a 21700, and may be a bit heavy. they also have a H15. the H30 far exceeds 300 lumens for 14 hours. the H15 is smaller but it comes close to that power for that time.

parametrek

Enlightened
the H30 far exceeds 300 lumens for 14 hours.

No it doesn't. It is rated 380 lumens for 7.5 hours. It can do also 120 lumens for almost 24 hours. Personally 120 lumens is sufficient for running but I can understand why people want more.

200 lumens for 14 hours and an overall efficacy of 120 lumens/watt requires 23.3 watt hours of energy. That is about 2x18650.

Some notable 2x18650 headlamps: The $90 Fenix HP30 (200 lumens for 12 hours). The $100 Nitecore HC70 (240 lumens for 10 hours). The $130 Fenix HP30R (130 lumens for 21 hours or 400 lumens for 6 hours).

An honorable mention goes to the $100 Nitecore EH1. It's batteries are hardwired and it does 260 lumens for 10 hours. But it is an extremely throwy mining headlamp and would need a lot of diffusion added to be appropriate for running.

Led Lenser has the $300 XEO 19R headlamps with 200 lumens for 20 hours. Petzl has the $350 Duo S (180 lumens for 12.5 hours). These also use hardwired batteries.

Rekkie

Newly Enlightened
I use an Olight HS2 with a custom made 2x18650 (parallel) battery pack. And I carry a emergency headlamp like a Petzl E+Lite (I would use a Bindi now).

Have lately moved to a custom made headlamp with a similar setup that's just epic. Can check it out here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/F5xTw71Mja1xqGtN7

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
I really like the Acebeam H30, the single larger cell does make sense. The overall weight isn't bad at all, but my concern would be that all of it is at the front and I wonder if it will constantly drop down over your eyes with the repetitive bouncing - I'd be keen for an update once you've received and tested yours @Bazar. My only other contention is that I'd ideally like a 200-250 lumen setting, I believe it would provide pretty close to exactly the run-times I'm hoping for - I don't know if it is possible to re-program this?

@parametrek thank you for your suggestions. I agree that 120 lumen is "sufficient" but to me it's a kind of surviving not thriving amount and I really prefer that extra 100ish lm. The HC70 is a beast and I've definitely been considering it, but perhaps I'm just super fussy - I don't like the plastic mount that ends up rubbing against the forehead (I guess some EVA foam could fix this) and the battery case is awesome however obviously only suitable when wearing a pack. It'd won't be comfortable on running shorts (would also probably pull them down) and it also disqualifies this torch for all general shorter night runs where no pack is worn. Same goes for the HP30/HP30R I guess.

@StarHalo haha you're probably right and this is pretty much what everyone already does. I guess it's just the tech-head and tinkerer in me that is still looking for another solution that I can all my own....just because :laughing:

@Rekkie how do you carry the custom made battery pack? Is it too heavy to mount on the head strap? That custom headlamp is very cool, is that your own design?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I do not use headlamps often, but I have heard good things about Lupine (and have been impressed with their torches)

The other brand that seemed interesting to me was Spike Lights, who I think was on CPF at one point. Website doesn't look updated recently though :(

Rekkie

Newly Enlightened
This headlamp is really interesting. Is there any more info available about this lamp?

Thanks. I'll start a thread for it and share all the details there, then I don't hi-jack El Capitan's thread. 🙂

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'll start a thread for it and share all the details there, then I don't hi-jack El Capitan's thread. 🙂

Haha appreciated. I would like to know how you mount your modified battery pack extension though?

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
I do not use headlamps often, but I have heard good things about Lupine (and have been impressed with their torches)

The other brand that seemed interesting to me was Spike Lights, who I think was on CPF at one point. Website doesn't look updated recently though :(

I just checked out Lupine and wowsers the price tags are certainly up there, very nice looking gear though with extensive options.

Interesting you mentioned Spike Lights, I live in Aus and have had them on my radar for a while too. I've been trying to get in contact with them but no luck so far, I suspect they may no longer be in business???

Rekkie

Newly Enlightened
Haha appreciated. I would like to know how you mount your modified battery pack extension though?

Made a single cell 21700 battery pack for this one for my own use. I just kept it in my hydration pack as high up in the pack as possible to give me enough slack in the cable so I can move my head freely without tugging on it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I just checked out Lupine and wowsers the price tags are certainly up there, very nice looking gear though with extensive options.

Interesting you mentioned Spike Lights, I live in Aus and have had them on my radar for a while too. I've been trying to get in contact with them but no luck so far, I suspect they may no longer be in business???

Yes Lupine build quality seems exceptional to me.

Sad to hear that Spike Lights may be defunct.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I would suggest you to use Petzl NAO+ with customized battery pack accommodating standard 18650 unprotected cells. The real life run-times for 3350mAh cells are up to 14 hours in reactive mode.

anotherocduser

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for lupine. Is the best, period. You can program the output you want depending on the battery size you choose and run time you need. They use the same connectors (best quality) with all lights, batteries and chargers.
I have had 5 Lupines and the service at Lupine North America is amazing. I have 2 now and I use them for 12h events, backpacking, camping, etc.
Cheers

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the Lipine Piko X4 and did some rough comparisons with H600 Zebralights.
The Piko has some advantages right away with the battery counter weighting the light, while the price and redundancy advantages go to Zebralight.
My initial thought was to look at the cost, weight, and output of two Zebralights.
An H600w MK III, and an H600Fw MK III purchased together with two 3,500 MAh batteries should run about 160$ in total, add an Olight UC charger for another 10$ and were at about 170$, depending upon shipping costs.
Weight wise, with two zebralights and two batteries, one head strap, it's something like 210 grams vs the Piko X4 at 180 grams... and again the Pico benefits from the battery weight in the back.
The two zebralights benefit in that you can use two different beam profiles and adjust their power independently, as well as having redundant lights in case of a light failure, they are also considerably less expensive... and for counter weight, you could even carry a spare set of two batteries on the back of your head for another 3 oz ~ 88 grams or so...
As for power, with a floody and a regular 12° spot profile, -you could run both of the H600 in the mid ranges, and enjoy the maximum efficiencies of the circuitry, rather than pushing a single light and single
battery more than twice as hard.

I think it comes down to cost and convenience, if the
price doesn't matter, then the Piko X4 is a little lighter, sleeker, and a bit less to fuss with.
On the other hand, there's redundancy, economy, and more power, more possible options if two Zebralights are substituted, maybe with a Floody version attached to a waist or a sternum strap and the 12° spot on the headband, rather than both weighing down the front of one's head.