ideas for hosts??

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean hosting a party, I mean to accommodate a LED drop in (P60 sized triple led) and an IMR. Also I need a tail switch of handling at least 5A.

I have an old C2 and a 6P that I could use I guess -- but I'd then need to get it bored and find a new tail cap.

I've never had luck with Overready (they never seem to have stock and lately they seem to have moved away from the lego lights. I've looked around, can't find alternatives. Where else should I look?

I've been away from CPF for years and many of the suppliers of lego pieces seemed to have moved on.

Thanks!

LRJ88

Enlightened
As far as i know Solarforce still make solid flashlight hosts, couple that with a McClicky Switch and i believe you'll have just about what you look for.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the heads up!

i saw the Overready package but I already have a triple nichia -- just need a host. I should try to find someone who will part it out with me

I forgot about Solarforce, may get one as they seem to be one of the few suppliers left, I suspect from their sale on everything that they too are departing this business. I should buy something before the lego world truly comes to an end...

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
@Illumination, I feel ya... I was away from CPF for a couple of years and, when I returned, I couldn't log into my old CPF handle and, more crucially, it seemed the world had moved beyond the P60 dropin / SF hosts. Bummer as I still have several C-series hosts that I have never used.

But, that said, I still love the C-series (and E-series for that matter) hosts and I've spent a bit of time rechecking some old links for hosts, McClickies, updated P60 dropin's and new high-drain batteries. So here's some info that I hope will help:

- EDC Plus still sells complete McClickies, https://www.edcplus.com/mcclicky-c-3_29/
- DellSuperman, here on CPF, also sells his own upgraded version of the McClicky switch that will allow for an even higher drain. I just picked up two from him recently. You just swap out the entire stock switch and screw in the new switch. Just try to retain your switch boot or, if you do the centre punch trick to remove the old stock switch, then just pick up a new switch boot.
- As for boring out your host... that's more difficult as I see fewer posts about boring services these days. You could pick up 17650's / 16650's but not sure if they will be able to handle the high-drain required of these new dropins.

Good luck and feel free to share any other info you find.

Some additional thoughts:
- I'll look for the Precisionworks thread here for boring services. I know they have a website but not sure how much boring work they do these days. In the past, they had bore batches but I don't think they do that anymore
- Look in the CPF Marketplace - I have seen some threads on CPF'ers selling bored SF hosts... if you're looking for a quick way to pick up a host instead of having your's bored out.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Illumination, I feel ya... I was away from CPF for a couple of years and, when I returned, I couldn't log into my old CPF handle and, more crucially, it seemed the world had moved beyond the P60 dropin / SF hosts. Bummer as I still have several C-series hosts that I have never used.

But, that said, I still love the C-series (and E-series for that matter) hosts and I've spent a bit of time rechecking some old links for hosts, McClickies, updated P60 dropin's and new high-drain batteries. So here's some info that I hope will help:

- EDC Plus still sells complete McClickies, https://www.edcplus.com/mcclicky-c-3_29/
- DellSuperman, here on CPF, also sells his own upgraded version of the McClicky switch that will allow for an even higher drain. I just picked up two from him recently. You just swap out the entire stock switch and screw in the new switch. Just try to retain your switch boot or, if you do the centre punch trick to remove the old stock switch, then just pick up a new switch boot.
- As for boring out your host... that's more difficult as I see fewer posts about boring services these days. You could pick up 17650's / 16650's but not sure if they will be able to handle the high-drain required of these new dropins.

Good luck and feel free to share any other info you find.

Some additional thoughts:
- I'll look for the Precisionworks thread here for boring services. I know they have a website but not sure how much boring work they do these days. In the past, they had bore batches but I don't think they do that anymore
- Look in the CPF Marketplace - I have seen some threads on CPF'ers selling bored SF hosts... if you're looking for a quick way to pick up a host instead of having your's bored out.

Thanks! I was able to keep my handle but looking back saw for many years I had a post or two at most (vs hundreds some years).

I was on Precisionworks thread earlier -- they aren't currently doing boring (since 2018). Oveready seems to have moved on as well. I think the world has moved away from the lego. I guess cheap high powered lights killed it.

I'll look at your links and report back on anything else I learn. Thanks again.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as i know Solarforce still make solid flashlight hosts, couple that with a McClicky Switch and i believe you'll have just about what you look for.

Do you know if I could use a McClicy in a Solarforce or whether I need to modify a separate Surefire tailcap? Thanks.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I was able to keep my handle but looking back saw for many years I had a post or two at most (vs hundreds some years).

I was on Precisionworks thread earlier -- they aren't currently doing boring (since 2018). Oveready seems to have moved on as well. I think the world has moved away from the lego. I guess cheap high powered lights killed it.

I'll look at your links and report back on anything else I learn. Thanks again.
Np. Yeah, it looks like Precisionworks *may* still do a custom bore for you if you reach out to them via email but it's pricey. I've had a few of my SF hosts bored by them over the years - great work - but I guess demand is no longer there and they are focusing on their electrical business now.

Here are a few more that may help:

- Fivemega offers some C- / 6P-series compatible hosts (I think only one left!): http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?370219-6P-18650-BODY-HOST
- Another Fivemega C2-style (i.e. square sides) host: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?370859-18650-C2-shape-D26-body-by-FIVEMEGA
- DellSuperman Judco 10A switches: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...Judco-10-amp-Switch-for-Surefire-Z41-tailcaps

Like I said, I'm still a fan of these SF hosts. I still have at least 3 stock SF hosts and looking at projects for them.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about Solarforce, may get one as they seem to be one of the few suppliers left, I suspect from their sale on everything that they too are departing this business. I should buy something before the lego world truly comes to an end...

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think Solarforce is always having a sale on their site.

--flatline

LRJ88

Enlightened