Streamlight "ProTac HL 5-X" (and "USB" version) - 2500 to 3500 lumens

gosmond

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight "ProTac HL 5-X" (and "USB" version) - 2500 to 3500 lumens

Long-time LED light user starting with the original Light and Motion "Vega", later the Taz 1000. Also a big fan of the Petzl Pixa 2 (2 AA) LED headlamp.

Decided to add a hand-carry "blaster" flashlight to my collection -- the ProTac HL-5-X definitely fits the description.

I got it with the 4 x CR123A option which puts out 2500 lumens. Nice combination of flood & spot beam patterns. Very good (but not perfect) beam uniformity both in brightness and color.

Side-mounted temporary/click-on switch is placed for comfortable carrying. The light is too long and end-heavy at the head for prolonged tactical-pose (thumb switch) use. It doesn't *have* a thumb switch for that reason, but you can buy the HL4 thumb switch as a replacement part; it fits the HL5.

I'll probably go buy the USB-charging 18650's to see what 3500 lumens looks like. Even at the lower-power 2500 lm output, with my palm pressed against the lens it takes only 10 seconds to reach the start of 1st degree burns.

3500 lumens switched "on" by accident when the lens is right next to anything dark & flammable could be problematic. Prevent this from happening during storage or transport by simply unscrewing the tail-cap 1/4 turn. That disconnects the internal contacts so that the batteries cannot feed power to the light. Tighten 1/4 turn to restore normal operation.

One other note, the rubber boot on the momentary/click switch is responsive but also a bit thin-feeling. I'm a bit worried it will get punctured or torn in daily use, allowing moisture or dirt into the workings. I hope the boot is easily-replaceable.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight "ProTac HL 5-X" (and "USB" version) - 2500 to 3500 lumens

Thanks for the description of the new HL-5.

Your words filled in a few blanks reviewers did not mention.

Welcome to CPF (some 6 years ago)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight "ProTac HL 5-X" (and "USB" version) - 2500 to 3500 lumens

I have a HL-4 that I keep in my van and I love it. Feels very solid brighter then my headlights going down the road "I live in the sticks with actual dirt roads so I can get away with testing that without going to jail😁" really like it. Just need to find some mounts so I can attach it to my center console. Then get a usb charger for my 18650's and I'll be good to go.