Beast?

clochner

Newly Enlightened
I own a small number of Nitecore, Fenix, and Armytek flashlights and headlamps. While reading reviews of well loved monster lights I note that they almost all step-down within seconds. I understand the thermodynamics involved but... reviews tend to mention this only in passing. I don't get it! This would be like the new Corvette being referred to as an 800hp beast only to discover a dropoff to 400hp after 4 seconds with another dropoff to 200hp after 5 seconds and ending up with a constant rating of 93hp. This is unless, of course, you are driving in very windy and/or cold conditions where power will be greater. Why isn't steady state and unassisted runtime at room temperature as a benchmark considered to be of greater importance? When is a 5000 lumen light really a 5000 lumen light? It's almost like metaphysics. When a 5000 lumen light exists for mere seconds then it still exists forever. ?????

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most reviews do mention step-downs. As you say, it may only be in passing. That is because we all understand that all high-output lights have to ramp down because of heat. So, all we really need to know is how-long, and how far. No need to dwell on that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lumen wars led to exagerated specs to flat out false advertizing.

Oh there are still some light makers who tell the honest, full time output numbers. But the numbers are nowhere near as big as the ones whose numbers greatly reduce after 22 seconds.

Sadly people often defend the tactic saying "well I only need a light to be that bright for 10 seconds anyway".

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use high or medium mode and forget about turbo. Problem solved

scout24

Flashaholic
5000 lumens is 5000 lumens when you buy a 50 watt HID such as the Xeray. Not pocketable, and a bit pricey though. 😀

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have long thought that it should be at very least, a metric mentioned somewhere in the literature. I don't know that comparing it to a car engine/ horsepower is too fair, however, power/ torque does change with conditions, including conditions of the engine. To their credit, most of the time these modes are referred to specifically as "turbo" modes, but that would mean a lot more if the other levels were more accurately/ consistently representative of constant brightness levels. So maybe any level that gets too hot is just labeled "turbo-something".....

I suppose this just may be some carry-over from why we call them flashlights in terms of overall implementation/ acceptance of this. But the advertising angle is just that, it's a horsepower war just like we see in cars, and just like with cars, I've found that most of the time, I buy a light for its low and medium modes. "Turbo" modes aptly named for the excess moments you just want to step on it!

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high lumens are impressive for the first minute or so.....the lower modes that go on forever are what keep me looking at them! Having the availability of ceiling bouncing 200 lumens for 20 hours during a power outage does count for something!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya the lumens war is kind of a joke. I think it's meant mainly for those that aren't very familiar with lights. People see 5000 lumens for 2-3 hours and there on it like a wolverine on a dead animal. We in general know better but it will catch those who are just looking at the numbers.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just depends on how you view and use a flashlight: as a toy or as a tool. Most people in the flashlight hobby view it as a toy, and so the mega lumens for a short duration is perfectly fine. Those who view it as a tool soon learn to look past the numbers and make sure the design is solid and output is sustainable.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot depends on how you routinely use your flashlight. If you normally use it for long periods of time, then sustained lumens is what matters to you. But if you're like me and mostly just just use your light in short bursts of 30 seconds to 2 minutes then an unsustainable turbo is perfectly useful. Desired even as the output is so much greater. I'd take a 3500 lumen EDC light anyday over one with a max brightness of 500 lumens. Even though I know the 3500 lumen one isn't big enough to sustain more than 500 lumens.

Another part is marketing. Recognize that LED lights produce heat. And most LED lights with any significant output cannot sustain turbo or even high for long periods of time. Once you know this, you can then look for products that meet your needs. Personally, I'm fine with how they are marketed now. I LIKE big turbo. It's fun and a big selling point. I would hate it if every light was marketed at only their sustained output and I had to read reviews to find out their max turbo lumens and throw.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
I've given up on high lumen lights. They sound impressive and while I utterly love my Acebeam T36, in reality, for sustained output, it's only a 650lm light given the step downs from 2000lm (though I did buy it more so for the UI and build than raw lumen output).

Pretty much all my EDC lights now, I value sustained output rather than high momentary lumen levels.