Muyshondt Aeon Mk1 replacement

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been away from the flashlight game for years. I started falling out of love when the Ti Pd-s and the original haiku from mcGizmo stopped being available. All the multi click UI thin aluminum bodies and brightness at the expense of everything kinda turned me off. I want to get back in!!

After many years of faithful DAILY service, it seems my old Aeon is finally done. If you are not familiar, it is hyper efficient, often lasting a year on a cr2 battery, twist for low, twist more for high. Simple interface, essentially indestructible. It has perhaps the nicest all around all purpose beam of any small light I've ever seen.
As far as i can tell, nothing like it exists now. I want extremely high quality and heavy duty, two or three modes, ultra simple UI (continuous twist OK, having to twist on-off-on is NOT). No clickies.
Cr2 or Cr123 only.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Was thinking maybe the Peak Logan with QTC, but my one experience with QTC way back when it first came out in the flashlight world (maybe 10 years ago?) was not positive, lots of flickering. It would also be a bit longer than the Aeon, which I would like to avoid.

Many thanks,
SL1

edit: just realized my last post was about 2 years ago and it was nearly identical! Asking for an arc-aaa replacement. Man, I really need to update my lights!!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
There is very little among "modern" pocket flashlights that meets your criteria as listed above.

Maybe Peak, custom ordered in single mode (non-QTC) , or one of the Tain customs (sold out and discontinued, I think)

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@smokelaw1: first question which part has failed? Second question is it titanium or aluminum? If it can be repaired I d say repair it. If not and if it's titanium I d be interested to buy it and you could put the money on something like an HDS Rotary or there are other twisties out there depends on how much money you want to spend and how versatile of of light you want.

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If none of Enrique's current offerings pleases you, you might try a WTB for an Aeon like the one you had. It might take a little time, but I bet you could find one.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aeon mk2 was the light which brought me to this hobby. I still think that progressive twisty is the best ui, even better than that of hds rotary.

A very different light which you may like is mcgizmo lunasol ls20

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If none of Enrique's current offerings pleases you, you might try a WTB for an Aeon like the one you had. It might take a little time, but I bet you could find one.

The aeons are now like dinosaurs teeth. I had a black mk1 but wanted titanium. Sold the mk1 got the mk2 in titanium... sold it at a huge loss... didn't like the flood of the mk2, sadly regretted selling the mk1 beam profile was perfect. Lesson learned

I won't get into Enrique's newer lights... but none of those are for me

Vemice

Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-01 rotary? They have reissued it and I have read it will take CR123s. Also the original is still available which runs on those batteries.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the tiny 10810 lights have the same interface as the Aeon and though they are sure no Aeon some are not terrible either.
I have the Jetbeam Ti model and the Olight and both are really pretty nice and both recharge via USB right under the head of the light when it is removed.

I think these are also smaller than the Aeon as well.

These also seem to function for me about the same as the Aeon always has to which is to say that mine has flickered at times.

Many manufacturers are now selling this light design and some of them are tough to tell apart from one another but several seem really nice to me.

43e72020b27fd3363d939d48ac0c36e2.jpg

8a5526fcf91d2f243c9b43bff2598c7e.jpg

Last edited:

kito

Newly Enlightened
A modded RRT01 from skylumen comes to mind based on the specs you want but it might not quite hit the cool factor you're looking for.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Hate to say that I think the problem with an RRT01 is that compared to the Aeon, it is actually a bit of a large light. If someone is looking for a similar replacement, I would think they want that compact form factor...

kito

Newly Enlightened
No light will match the aeon in all respects. UI, size, looks, quality...OP will be lucky to get 2 out of 4.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, currently available torches have moved well away from the design and function described (and desired) by OP.

So, either compromise in those criteria will be needed and/or a search for used (or NOS) items will be necessary.

Although getting more difficult to find, I still see SureFire T1A (and rarer yet, T1) come up for sale occasionally, and that might be worthy of consideration.

Others that come to mind here, for one reason or another, include the LF4, Lummi Raw, ARC Mania MJP Extreme Micro, Jets22 Blackbird, and several different JiL Lite, along with the Ion / Aeon, and (of course) the legendary Larry Light.

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been getting an error message trying to reply for a few days...hope this works. I would love to fix it, could send it in and see what he can do. No idea where/what part failed. Have done all the cleaning and fiddling I'm comfortable with.

Thank you all for such thoughtful replies. It does seem that, as I feared, the market has moved far away from what I am looking for. Unfortunate, but there do seem to be some great new lights out there I should familiarize myself with.

Best to all,
SL1

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@smoke...
I doubt Enrique would bother with it but by all means send em a message or call ... OR other solution could be see if one of the modders here can have a look at it then if all else fails you can always sell for parts.
Without looking at the light I can only speculate however if there are no visible signs of failure it could be the led or driver. I found with mine the spring on the head collapsed therefore making no contact with the battery unless you tightened the head very tight. Is the spring making contact? Also is there excessive dirt or debris possibly blocking the connection? Bottom battery contact corroded?

Last edited: