Zebralight H600 Battery Extension

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone successfully modded a ZL H600 series headlamp with an external battery pack? I've done a search and seen lots of ideas/comments about it circulating but no actual confirmation/pictures.

I'd be super interested in adding a second 18650 in parallel to the back of the head strap, to extend battery life and even out the weight distribution. Not sure if this would be viable though due to the limited clearances within the light with a battery inside. Still, where there's a will there's a way - anyone have an idea on this?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It could be done if the battery is slightly loose in the light you could use a flat piece of copper insulated with tape on the side of a battery to the top and connect to the bottom of the battery and then drill a hole and run the wires out of it.

el Capitan

Newly Enlightened
It could be done if the battery is slightly loose in the light you could use a flat piece of copper insulated with tape on the side of a battery to the top and connect to the bottom of the battery and then drill a hole and run the wires out of it.

Exactly what I was picturing in my mind. Possibly a lot more effort and design than what it's worth but it'd be a very interesting project. Has anyone successfully seen this done??

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Another option is to make a dummy battery and have wires out the bottom of it and a connector to it and then make a 2 cell pack with a connector wired to it to connect to the dummy battery/connector setup.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started doing exactly this a few years ago, then misplaced the glans connector and modified spare cap, never got back to it.

Email zebralight for a spare tail cap, they'l explain how to order it - basically you have to order something from their online menu and then explain the substitution in the notes section of the order form.
From there you drill the cap out to accept a watertight cable glans and make your dummy battery so that it can rest on the inside walls of the battery tube to prevent levering damage to the delicate cap.
Cable goes to battery pack of cells in parallel.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWEET!

Thanks for the memory jolt GeoBruin!
That is a cool thread,
glad to here that your build is standing up to time and use.
You whipped that together nicely.

Last edited: