alexdi

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light with these characteristics:

* <$75, ideally <$50
* 1 x 18650 or 21700, removable
* Very long throw, minimal spill
* 1000+ lumens sustained for 1.5 hours
* <6000K

Bonus points for being compact, even more for having some way (even a mod) to reduce upward spill on the beam.

The light is intended for a road bike that I frequently use on a shared path. I find myself outpacing my existing light, which is a Cygolite Metro that sustains about 600 lumens. The problem with the Metro is that the beam pattern is too wide by half. I really only care things 30 feet or more in front of the bike; ideally the spot wouldn't be more than 5 feet wide at that distance.

My other 'serious' light (an Ituo XP3; ~2200 lumens) would be bright enough, but would also blind everyone for two hundred yards with spill. The beam on my HC65 headlamp (~1200 lumens) is also too wide. I'm looking at the Astrolux C8, but the step-down from the 'turbo' mode means it's essentially just an 800 lumen light to me; maybe not enough.

If this seems like a sensible use for this product category (as opposed to dedicated bike lights, few of which seem to do narrow beams or allow me to use my own batteries), what light would you guys suggest?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a light with these characteristics:

* <$75, ideally <$50
* 1 x 18650 or 21700, removable
* Very long throw, minimal spill
* 1000+ lumens sustained for 1.5 hours
* <6000K

Bonus points for being compact, even more for having some way (even a mod) to reduce upward spill on the beam.

The light is intended for a road bike that I frequently use on a shared path. I find myself outpacing my existing light, which is a Cygolite Metro that sustains about 600 lumens. The problem with the Metro is that the beam pattern is too wide by half. I really only care things 30 feet or more in front of the bike; ideally the spot wouldn't be more than 5 feet wide at that distance.

My other 'serious' light (an Ituo XP3; ~2200 lumens) would be bright enough, but would also blind everyone for two hundred yards with spill. The beam on my HC65 headlamp (~1200 lumens) is also too wide. I'm looking at the Astrolux C8, but the step-down from the 'turbo' mode means it's essentially just an 800 lumen light to me; maybe not enough.

If this seems like a sensible use for this product category (as opposed to dedicated bike lights, few of which seem to do narrow beams or allow me to use my own batteries), what light would you guys suggest?

I'm guessing this post might need to be moved to the "Transportation Lighting" section of the forums but thought I'd share.

I've been using modified fenix BC30's on my bikes combined with a regular flashlight attached to my helmets. One of them has a Nitecore SRT7 rated at about 1000L and 20kcd and the other has an Emisar D1 on it, rated about double that. In any case, I find that the two types (bike light and flashlight) work perfectly together and since the light with more throw is attached to my helmet, it turns with my head and looks where I look. It's also an easy solution because you can just pick the 18650 handheld that you want with the desired throw that you want and tape it to the desired angle that you want on your helmet. I have to attach them and take them off at times so the duct tape works well and I've never had one come off while riding, even on the mountain bike. I've been doing it this way for years, at least once a week. Perhaps not the type of answer you were looking for but just thought I'd share what works for me.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sustained output, I'd go with the Convoy C8 rather than the Astrolux C8. The Convoy has no step-down. Around 900 lumens, but it's a thrower so should be enough. I use one (or the Astrolux C8) when cycling, but just as a hand-spotter for things up ahead. It works very well.

There is some spill from the C8's, but it's not too bright.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can't give you that amount of light for that long, -but I doubt that any 1x 18650 powered light can, anyhow, try the Emisar D1, great light, good throw, ramping UI, and fits well into your budget.