Tailcap Switch Dust Cover Came Off, Need Help Getting it Back on

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm not sure where this belongs, but I couldn't find anything about it in the troubleshooting sections.

I have a Pelican 1910 that I have extensively used, but had to stop when the rubber tail switch cover managed to separate from the tail cap. There doesn't seem to be any way to reinstall it from the outside, but from the inside of the switch, there may be a way to remove the switch to get the dust cover back in (remove the switch, install the rubber cover, reinstall the switch).

This is the inside view of the tailcap, there seems to be four tiny indents in the metal, as if there may be a way to remove it, but I don't have any tools that small or precise to be able to access it, and don't want to break it if I can help it.

This is the ouside of the switch (doesn't seem to be any moving parts here)

The switch dust cover is next to it in the picture. It doesn't seem to be damaged in any way.

Any suggestions to get the cover back into place would be much appreciated.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That aluminium ring will unscrew. It's either attached to the switch or retains it, can't remember, it's a lomng time since I did my Peli.
You'll need some snap ring pliers, which are cheap. Get the ones for the outer rings rather than the inner ones.
Jist place the tips in two opposite indents and unscrew. Remove the switch,and pop a fresh boot in. I think the boots are similar to McClicky boots, which are widely available.
If the ring won't shift, it may be threadlocked, in which case you can soften the glue by boiling the tailcap, in a bag, for a few minutes.
P

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snap ring pliers might not be necessary. Before purchasing snap ring pliers I suggest checking your toolbox to see if you have anything else that might work: needle nose pliers, tweezers, even a large paperclip bent into a "U" and held in place with pliers.

I have a set of snap ring pliers, but 9/10 times I find my neede nose pliers just work better.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sometimes small long needlenose pliers will work to remove snap rings. You could even perhaps make something out of a board and 2 nails the right distance apart.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't need to grind down the tips on my needle nose pliers. Even without grinding the tips are about the same width as the tips of my snap ring pliers.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Well shoot, I thought I had some on my work truck, but didn't. I'll try with the paper clip/tweezers when I get home from work.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Ok I probably ruined one of my wife's tweezers, and used two different paper clips, and needle nose pliers(pliers were way way way too big), and have only managed to damage the retaining metal. I was able to get the switch to barely move behind the retaining piece, but the retainer is holding fast. Time for snap ring pliers? I don't really feel comfortable boiling it. 🤔

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I probably ruined one of my wife's tweezers, and used two different paper clips, and needle nose pliers(pliers were way way way too big), and have only managed to damage the retaining metal. I was able to get the switch to barely move behind the retaining piece, but the retainer is holding fast. Time for snap ring pliers? I don't really feel comfortable boiling it. 樂

Do NOT boil the tailcap module. Boiling probably wouldn't loosen it anyways. Things would be just as stuck. Boiling would probably also destroy the switch mechanism which is not waterproof.

I don't own a Pelican light, and it's a bit hard to see from the pictures where the ring is. However, I've sometimes found on lights with rings that have too small holes I can drill bigger holes with a pin vise drill. I can then insert my needle-nose pliers into these bigger holes.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
I guess that's a smart move. On the box, their address is in Southern California, too, so maybe I can walk in.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a go. Years ago, I bought a used one on Ebay and the tailswitch failed. I Emailed the UK office and they sent a new light. Hopefully nothing has changed since then.
P

Latest posts