Rechargeable Headlight <$50

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a camping headlight. It'll be used for around the campsite and night hikes. My biggest priority is that it is rechargeable like a usb port or a magnetic system like o-light has and hopefully under $50. Thanks for your time!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $50.

3) Format:

____I want a self-contained headlamp.

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care (just needs to be recharagble without needing a separate charger)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw:

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care (not plastic).

15) Water resistance

____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras:

___Red filter (for preserving night vision) NOT NECESSARY.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have 2 headlamps that fit some of your criteria.
Wowtac A2S for about $30 18650 with moonlight low medium high turbo comes with USB rechargeable port on the battery itself. It is removeable from the headband and can be used as a right angle flashlight.
Fenix HL60R a bit out of your range at $70 with usb port built into the headlamp comes with 2600mah battery
dual red leds / eco low medium high turbo This is not a removeble headlamp though.
I'm guessing most other headlamps are going to fall in the 70+ dollar range with USB built into them.
A lot of other makers have 18650 headlamps. I recommend going with 18650 for headlamp for the higher output and longer runtime although you could probably get by with a 16340 headlamp but runtime on high modes will be substantially less and cost won't be much cheaper overall. I don't think most of these headlamps will be submersible for 4 hours perhaps 30 minutes would be fine for most of them.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
There are just so many options! first i was looking at the olight H1R then the Fenix HM50R, now the Armytek Elf C1. I just cant decide and feel like im missing some.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the Elf C2 for a few months now ad am charging it as I type ahead of severe weather here tonight and this has become my go to EDC HL for sure!
Not as many modes or as programmable as my usual ZL choices but also almost 1/2 the cost and built like a tank it seems to me!
I like the Warm Emitter and the headband and the texture on the light and even the magnet in its own little place are great.
I have only charged the battery outside the light but it has built in charging and that seems like a pretty handy feature too.

I paid about $50 for mine.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
How important is the warm tint vs the white tint. I found a place that sells the Armytek Elf C2 in white for $38 vs the warm for $50. Is the tint color worth that price difference?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
How important is the warm tint vs the white tint. I found a place that sells the Armytek Elf C2 in white for $38 vs the warm for $50. Is the tint color worth that price difference?
I don't think there was any premium for NW where I got mine and not at all sure why there would either but this is one of those questions that only you can really answer too.

I know that I pretty much do not buy anything that is not NW or warmer any more if there is an option.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
It's not that there is a premium. The store that has the discount only carries the white tint versions while the other places that have the warm tint version charge the standard but don't have a discount. Also I cant find the warm version anywhere except from ArmyTek themselves which i heard is a nightmare to order from.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that there is a premium. The store that has the discount only carries the white tint versions while the other places that have the warm tint version charge the standard but don't have a discount. Also I cant find the warm version anywhere except from ArmyTek themselves which i heard is a nightmare to order from.

I got mine from Going Gear and I am sure they were the same price for either emitter but yeah it can be hit or miss for sure.