Convoy C8vn+ question

Bronco

Enlightened
Vinh,

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but the only thread here I could find dedicated to this light is two years old - back when the light was offered with emitters other than the current White2. That said, I have two quick questions for you.

1) Is the throw on the production units still hitting around the 200Kcd mark with the White2?

2) On your website, you say to use "10A less 18650 only" batteries in this light. I'm not 100% sure what this means. The link you provided here goes to an unprotected cell you offer. Unprotected cells aren't the best option for me given the way I use my work lights. Are there any high drain IMR or protected cells that would work?

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh,

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but the only thread here I could find dedicated to this light is two years old - back when the light was offered with emitters other than the current White2. That said, I have two quick questions for you.

1) Is the throw on the production units still hitting around the 200Kcd mark with the White2?

2) On your website, you say to use "10A less 18650 only" batteries in this light. I'm not 100% sure what this means. The link you provided here goes to an unprotected cell you offer. Unprotected cells aren't the best option for me given the way I use my work lights. Are there any high drain IMR or protected cells that would work?

1. Spec page says 200kcd

2. 10A or less 18650 = an 18650 cell that has a max current of 10A or less, so a "non-high-drain battery" like a Sanyo NCRGA or LG MJ1 would work perfectly. A protected version of one of those might work, provided it passes other clearances specific to the C8 host.

Bronco

Enlightened
1. Spec page says 200kcd

2. 10A or less 18650 = an 18650 cell that has a max current of 10A or less, so a "non-high-drain battery" like a Sanyo NCRGA or LG MJ1 would work perfectly. A protected version of one of those might work, provided it passes other clearances specific to the C8 host.

Thanks for the reply. So you think we may just be talking about a cell length restriction more than anything else?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excluding current flow?

I'm not familiar with Convoys, but I do know some can be picky. This may be in terms of button vs flat top, cell length, or cell width (which is an issue in some armyteks that I have).

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The c8vn is a fantastic light! It's not very popular and very underrated. It doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I have three of these lights, two oslon black and one with W2 emitters. I tested 190-195kcd with w2, and 240kcd with Oslon Black. I had Vinh build me these lights before they came into production and for sale on skylumen.
Its been great so far. The host is not picky with battery selection. You can use a protected cell or a low drain cell

Bronco

Enlightened
The c8vn is a fantastic light! It's not very popular and very underrated. It doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I have three of these lights, two oslon black and one with W2 emitters. I tested 190-195kcd with w2, and 240kcd with Oslon Black. I had Vinh build me these lights before they came into production and for sale on skylumen.
Its been great so far. The host is not picky with battery selection. You can use a protected cell or a low drain cell

Awesome. Thanks for the report. If Vinh can confirm that this is the case with the current production models (regarding battery forgiveness), I think you just sold me.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. Thanks for the report. If Vinh can confirm that this is the case with the current production models (regarding battery forgiveness), I think you just sold me.

I actually sold 2 batches of these light to 1 group. They enjoy the performance VS price that much.