Hi, I need a wopper!

RVA

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this, but am going camping and simply want to have a better, brighter light than my friens! He has one with 5 or 7 led's and it's incredab le! I love it, we are going camping next week and I want to pull off a better one, cooler features, and brighter.... I have up to 250 to spend, can anyone suggest "the best"?
Thanks!

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I'm guessing its an X5T ....

how bout a Surefire A2 in green or white....

DD LS III or V watt mod.....

Arc 4

many, many, many choices.. I dont think I have ever seen a flashlight for more than $200 much less $250.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find the "Tri-Star, it has THREE one watt Luxeon Stars - and will probally look like a "wopper" next to whatever your friend has. Failing that, try one of the Streamlight LS models http://www.streamlight.com/tl-nf_info.htm , or perhaps something from TNC http://tnccustomproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TnC&Category_Code=1F .

Or maybe something from Golden Gadgets http://goldengadgets.com/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=3322f33e87445c903c0d735797657c0c

Whatever you do, decide quicky so that you can place your order in time to get it for your trip. Unless you live near a Cabela's, you probally will not find anything "really cool" at a brick and mortar store.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, if you want pure lumens, I'd say get an L6 if you can find one, or an L4 (both by Surefire). Since Surefires are backordered in many places, and if you want a light that you can carry with you on a daily basis instead of being left at home like the L6 or even the L4, I'd spring for an Arc4+. Not a wopper like Surefire but is most likely brighter than your friend's 7 LED light. Also has a lot of features that you can read about in the Arc forum. Personally, I'd go with the Arc since it will get a lot more use though it would seem "not as cool or sexy" to others as the Surefire lights. It's more bang for the buck IMO. Once you become a true flashaholic, you can start adding some of the sexier Surefires to your collection. I own lights from both companies (both make some of the best engineered lights BTW) but the Arc is the one that gets put into my pants pocket everyday.

CM

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
ARC4+ or a Surefire A2 with white LEDs.
I EDC both and I prefer the ARC4, but the guys at work prefer the A2.
The Surefire L6 is a "Wopper". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Reno

Enlightened
Dude, L4!! It's likely much smaller than your friend's light, and in the woods, when it's REAL dark, it's like having the sun in your pocket!! Plus you can run it on rechargeables, so you won't go broke on batts

kaseri

Enlightened
For about $25 more you can get an M6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
How about a Trilight III which is 3 x 3W Luxeon III LED's in a 4D Cell Maglite body allegedly produces 240 lumens of light - I have one on order and am looking forward very much to its arrival - would be interested to hear from any one that has had a play?! http://www.inretech.net/

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elektro-Lumens Tri-Star gets 216 lumens. That ought to put your friends light to shame.

RVA

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I feel like I might need two! I'm a gadget-aholic and never saw anything like this before... I reall can't wait to put my hands on one or two of these... are there local stores that sell the arc4+, L4 or the M6?
RVA
///

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One or two? Sounds like you're seriously afflicted like the rest of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Arc4+ is available from www.arcflashlight.com. The Surefires are still available from several dealers like tacticalwarehouse and Surefire directly. I also recommend tadgear. However, Surefires are on backorder from many dealers (and also directly from Surefire). The M6 is a very cool light, however, it will eat through 6 lithium 123's fairly quickly and you'll find that you won't use it as much since the $$/minute of runtime is pretty high. It's a great "wopper" but very impractical for most people unless you have an infinite supply of 123's. It's a light that I chose not to have since it would just sit around gathering dust, occassionally being taken out to "impress" some non-flashaholic friends and then jammed back into the gun safe. Quite impractical IMO but that's strictly my opinion.

RVA

Newly Enlightened
The Arc4+ is looking pretty good, I like the settings, small size, and single battery.... I think I'm getting that one for sure..

I forgot to mention, I leave wednesday night for campling - it apears these are only available online... anyone know how I can get one locally (I know Walmart won't sell them) does Sears?

RVA

Newly Enlightened
I prefer a small size, but want a strong light too... what is the Yukon and the others you listed, never heard of any of those?