LED chip wrong voltage

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Hello All, Thanks for having me. I ordered a 110v 100 watt cob chip for a yard light. When it got here it was a 220v chip and all I have out there is 110v. My question is, is there a cheap way to change the 110 power to the chip to 220v? There is plenty of room as this is a utility/city type light (400 watt MH) they use on main street and to lighten the load I have removed the ballast and cap. Thanks in advance for your help.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You removed the "ballast" and cap? Really? Well at this point you could just connect it and see how it goes. Bigclivedotcom has some interesting videos about LED street lights.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several ways around your problem:

1. Use 220V. Most 110V homes have 2 phases, which if used together provide 220V. You might need an electrician.
2. Use a transformer. Given your application, a simple iron-core 50 and/or 60 Hz transformer is not an unreasonable answer. Just make sure it has appropriate current and voltage ratings.
3. Accept the lower light output. It will probably be dismal, so you probably won't select this option.
4. Complain to the vendor that they sent you the wrong product (if that's true).
5. Slap your forhead, throw the 220V lamp in the bin, and buy the right lamp.

MeMeMe

Banned
Hello All, Thanks for having me. I ordered a 110v 100 watt cob chip for a yard light. When it got here it was a 220v chip and all I have out there is 110v. My question is, is there a cheap way to change the 110 power to the chip to 220v? There is plenty of room as this is a utility/city type light (400 watt MH) they use on main street and to lighten the load I have removed the ballast and cap. Thanks in advance for your help.

Throw it out and buy a good quality COB that you can runabout 70-100 Watts and then buy a matching driver. The COB is essentially a 120Hz strobe light ... Maybe you will be okay with it ... Maybe not. Worse case get the supplier to send the right one. Any transformer will cost more than the COB. Voltage in much of NA is closer to 120 and in some areas 125 not rare. That already hot COB is now hotter. If it is in a hard to reach place you want something reliable.

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your answers. The buck boost is out to expensive unless some electronics guy will build one on the cheap. The chip is a 220v Chinese special I waited 6 weeks for this puppy, I had rather have a US chip but where do I get one that I can afford. I am a disable senior living on small monthly check along with my wife's little check. That's why the smart IC no as much to fail. But I learned something about the cob I did not know it may flicker and our power runs on the high side 125-128 volts to ground.

The light is to be used on a 20 ft pole at the chicken pen so to light when motion is detected and to light the area to and from for my wife to go feed and gather eggs and hopefully dodge a snake. I want 10,000 lumens minimum 5000k prefered no less than 80 cri.
I don't have the power out there yet and can make it 240 but with what's being said I think I will look for a driver and chip system.
I have 2 drives 120v input 12v dc output but from what I can find is 12 watt max that they will handle the driver has 5 amp max on the output side along with 60 watt max. any other suggestions?
Thanks

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your answers. The buck boost is out to expensive unless some electronics guy will build one on the cheap. The chip is a 220v Chinese special I waited 6 weeks for this puppy, I had rather have a US chip but where do I get one that I can afford. I am a disable senior living on small monthly check along with my wife's little check. That's why the smart IC no as much to fail. But I learned something about the cob I did not know it may flicker and our power runs on the high side 125-128 volts to ground. I tried it on 120v and got nada. I would keep the 400 MH if it had a strike or other means of light till warm up.

The light is to be used on a 20 ft pole at the chicken pen so to light when motion is detected and to light the area to and from for my wife to go feed and gather eggs and hopefully dodge a snake. I want 10,000 lumens minimum 5000k prefered no less than 80 cri.
I don't have the power out there yet and can make it 240 but with what's being said I think I will look for a driver and chip system.
I have 2 drives 120v input 12v dc output but from what I can find is 12 watt max that they will handle the driver has 5 amp max on the output side along with 60 watt max. any other suggestions?
Thanks

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
Lightfooted, I can find anything from Bigclivedotcom on here about LED streetlights. Can you point me in the right direction please?
looking forward to seeing what he has going on.
Thanks

Wilber256

Newly Enlightened
MeMeMe, Can you (or anyone that wants to jump in) suggest a place to purchase a good high lumen chip and driver. And a sink also would be great.
Hope all have a great holiday and thanks to all who have served to keep us free.

Thanks