[Review] Imalent MS18 100,000 Lumens (brightest in the world)

ChibiM

Enlightened
Imalent MS 18 review

INTRODUCTION:
Imalent is the first major flashlight brand that claims a 100,000 lumens flashlight. Imalent shook the flashlight community with the announcement of the Imalent MS12 with 53,000 lumens in 2018. The new Imalent MS18 has almost doubled that amount! Imalent is still a relatively new player on the market, but as we have seen in the past years, they have been one of the more innovative brands on the planet. Think about OLED displays and tint mixing capabilities of the DDR4. And now the Imalent MS18 with a whopping 100,000 lumens.

I ordered the Imalent MS18 + R90TS head combo.. So the box is even a bit larger!​

WHAT YOU'LL GET:

• Imalent storage box
  • Shoulder strap
  • Extra O-rings
  • Charge adapter

BXWaw68

BXWaw68l.jpg
Next to the famous BLF Q8
TM5mTMkl.jpg

In use:
The Imalent MS18 is a big boy! And with this size of light, I would have preferred a bit more grip on the body. This is still a little slippery.​

Just above the power switch is a little OLED display that shows lumen output. The switch remained the same from the IMalnet MS12 and is a flat iron button, which by itself is a little hard to find in the dark. I would like to see them address this little issue. In many cases this isn't really a problem, but if you're in the dark, a kind of physical indicator would be welcome. Something along the lines of a protruding switch or a ridge of some sort. This lumenmonster is not going to be carried in your pocket, where it could accidentally be activated.​

Fortunately it comes with a shoulder strap as well. It's a little too heavy to use for an extended period of time. As you can see, they upgraded the attachment points for the strap. Instead of attaching it directly to the body and bezel, they now have a dedicated ring on the head, and a attachment to the tailcap.​

The MS18 actually just consists of 2 main parts, the head and batterypack aka body. The batterytube consists of a built-in charge port and 8 pieces of Samsung 40T 21700 cells.​
Before you use the flashlight, make sure you'll remove the plastic washer between the head and battery tube. Unscrew the battery pack to remove.​

Tailstand?
Yes it can, but not very stable! I don't see any value in doing that.. but just so you know it possible.

Build Quality and Anodizing
Imalent has always been pretty good with their built quality, and the Imalent MS18 is no exception here. It is a very decently built flashlight with good anodization. I couldn't find any weird spots or missing anodization (until I unscrewed the battery pack) They also upgraded the carry strap attachments. Where the MS12 has the clips attached to the bezel and tailcap, they found a workaround and added a special attachment ring on the head, and on the tailcap. Not the best idea, but better than damaging the anno like it happened with the MS12. If the cover gets lost, you won't be able to attach the strap anymore. And since it's rather small, losing the cap is very possible.​
Please have a look at the following pictures to see the machining on the body tube, which looks very good. Although this is not my favorite style of machining, it is certainly done well, just like it should for this pricey beast.
mHmUFLFl.jpg

Fans
The Imalent MS18 is one of the dozen flashlights with and integrated active cooling system. It uses 2 fans that get activated when the light is set to 22,000 Lumens and above. Their is liquid inside the system to cool the light even quicker. This is what Imalent says about the cooling system:​

Built-in heat pip radiator with excellent heat dissipation, and equipped with an inlet and outlet fan silent, waterproof, heavy wind, which is a perfect combinatin of great energy and technology.​

Well, the fans are NOT quiet! They are very noisy!​
And besides that, the torx screws are filled with a substance, probably silicon or glue so you can't easily unscrew them to take off the fan covers.​

In the following pictures you can see some details, and the copper fins on the inside of the head.
IMALENT MS 18 LEDS, LENS, BEZEL AND REFLECTOR​
1 XHP70.2 LED not enough? How about adding 12? Oh no.. how about 18?​
The Imalent MS18 uses 18 CREE XHP 70.2 LEDs for maximum output. The LEDs are centered very well in the Light Orange Peel (LOP) reflectors.​

Using an LOP reflector means that the beam is smooth and doesn't focus merely on throw. The Imalent R90TS is another story.​

The bezel isn't removable by hand, nor is the battery pack from the battery tube.

yO2WR3Jl.jpg

SfHskSGl.jpg

THREADS AND O-RINGS

This isn't so positive. I'm not sure if its because of the size and weight of the flashlight, or because of the lube, but the threads were damaged. The anodization is missing on parts on the threads. This is a real con in my opinion. A $600 flashlight shouldn't have this problem! And there is only 1 O-ring, while the MS12 had 2 O-rings near the threads. So maybe 1 o-ring was missing.

4WVTmESl.jpg

IMALENT MS 18 LEDS, LENS, BEZEL AND REFLECTOR
1 XHP70.2 LED not enough? How about adding 12? Oh no.. how about 18?​
The Imalent MS18 uses 18 CREE XHP 70.2 LEDs for maximum output. The LEDs are centered very well in the Light Orange Peel (LOP) reflectors.​

Using an LOP reflector means that the beam is smooth and doesn't focus merely on throw. The Imalent R90TS is another story.​

The bezel isn't removable by hand, nor is the battery pack from the battery tube.
f15PaDql.jpg

DIMENSIONS IMALENT MS18:

• Length Imalent MS18: 265 mm / 10.4"
  • MS18 head diameter: 130 mm / 5.1"
  • Width body : 58 mm / 2.3"
WEIGHT:

• Weight Imalent MS18: 1878 gr / 66.26oz.
  • Weight Head: 1081 grams / 38.16 oz.
  • Weight Body incl battery: 797 grams / 28.10 oz.
From left to right: BLF Q8, Haikelite MT03 TA, Acebeam X45 II, Imalent MS12, Imalent MS18​

MFYBPenl.jpg
USER INTERFACE:
The Imalent MS18 uses almost the same sophisticated User Interface as the MS12.​

Modes: 8 with mfg lumens.​

Low (700)​
Middle low (2000)​
Middle I (5000)​
Middle II (10,000)​
High I (22,000)​
High II (30,000)​
High III (60,000)​
Turbo (100,000)​

From OFF:

Press and Hold: Activate the mini LED light above the switch (extremely dim)​
Single click: last memorized output​
Double click: Turbo output​
Triple click: Screen turns on to show Voltage​
4x click: Activate Fan​
5x click: Lock out​

From ON:

Press and Hold: Change output from Low to High​
Single click: Turn Off​
Double click: Turbo output​
Triple click: nothing​
4 clicks: nothing​
5-10 clicks: Turn Off

I don't really like the way to change modes. I'm not a big fan of press and hold for changing modes. So this is just my personal opinion.​

OLED Screen:
Instead of showing the Mode you are in, the screen will show the Lumen setting you are in. Starting at 700, it increases to 60,000 with pressing and holding the switch. The display will show the Lumens for about 2 seconds, and then the Voltage for about 2 seconds. I would rather see the Lumen setting everytime it jumps to the next level instead of Voltage first.​
Also any number above 10,000 is difficult to read.. because there are so many 00000's​

Built in Switch Indicator Light:
When you press and hold the switch, it will turn on the indicator LED above the switch. This is extremly dim, but could be useful to locate the switch in the dark. I prefered to have a physical switch locator as well.​

Low battery warning:
The Low Battery warning is also a little lame since you have to watch the OLED display to see whether the battery is running low. It will show a battery icon blinking every X seconds. I would have preferred the flashlight blinking or a red indicator light..​

Strobe:
It's not in the main mode group, but you can enter Strobe mode by a double click from Turbo! There are no other blinky modes like beacon or SOS.​

Lock-out mode:
You can enter this mode by clicking 5 times when the light is off. The screen will show a LOCK symbol. When you do another 5 clicks the lock out mode is deactivated, and the display shows an open padlock.​

PWM
I couldn't detect any.

BATTERIES AND CHARGING:
You don't need to buy any batteries for this bad boy. There are 8 pieces of samsung 40T 21700 batteries. The package includes an adapter with an output of 19V and 2A. The charge time should be about 4.5 hours. When the batterypack is empty it will show a battery symbol on the screen. See picture below.​
And it also took 4.5 hours to charge!
LrzzVK8l.jpg

Imalent MS18 PERFORMANCE:
My integraged Sphere only measures up till about 4000 Lumens, and anything above this is difficult to measure consistantly. I used a ND filter to cover the dome of the luxmeter. Tests done with the SkyTronic LX-101 Lux meter with integrated sphere that is calibrated with a 136lumen Convoy S2+.​
I don't know how trustable the numbers are above 5000 lumens, since the output is just so brutal it the styrofoam ball becomes a lightbulb itself. So Its very possible that the numbers are skewed at that point. So please take my Lumen measurements with a grain of salt!​
MFG LumensMy Measurements
Imalent MS18700915

RUNTIME:

Runtime was measured using the Android Ceiling Bounce App, that was developed by a Budgelightforum member. The MS18 was put on a table pointed towards the ceiling to measure the runtime. The stepdown is noticeable in fast incremental steps. The Fan is running full power. The funny thing is that Turbo uses so much battery, that the Fan spins slower than when it steps down. So when the brightness decreases during the step down, the fan starts spinning faster.​
QdgUcgal.png
Turbo output is about 1 minute when it drops down to about 25% output. Then it slowly decreases till it's to about 2 %... I don't know exactly when the low voltage warning turned on.. Because Im not watching the display all the time!​

THROW:
Since this light is such a beast I have to be careful measuring the throw in our garden. The neighbors might call the police :... Lol No, it's not a Tactical flashlight by any means, lol. 5 meter measurement was taken indoors. The battery wasn't fully charged, but it hadnt been used very much either.​
Total Throw measured at 5 meters: 350,000 cd / 350 Kcd (1183 meters, 0.74 miles)​
Total Throw measured at 10 meters: 370,000 cd / 370 Kcd (1217 meters, 0,75 miles)​
BEAMSHOTS
For the following beamshots I dialed down my camera, so the brightest lights wouldn't just result in 1 white picture. This way the most powerful lights are easier to distinguish! Canon 50mm F4 ISO1600 1/40 sec. So the brightness in these pictures don't really show what you see in person!​
GXRvCxtl.png
qAh9NKUl.png

Conclusion:

Pro:

• Most powerful flashlight as of today
  • One of the few flashlight with active cooling (including fluid)
  • Includes a carry case + carry strap
  • Improved over the MS12 (carry strap attachment, charge port)
  • Easy UI

Cons:

• Numbers on OLED screen are a bit hard to read 10000 or 100000
  • Anodization on threads isn't done very well
  • I'm missing an O-ring on the battery pack
  • Activating Turbo sometimes happens accidentally.
  • Not much grip/knurling on the body

More and clearer pictures at: https://1lumen.com/21700-reviews/imalent-ms18/

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the fans be replaced and what are the size of fans? Usually cheap Chinese fans dont live too long and they are considered consumables.

How good is the integrated charging? Also concerned about proprietary batteries, the battery pack being shot because of 1 battery failure, 5 years down the road when the light is no longer being made? Are ms18 owners screwed when this day comes?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

druidmars

Enlightened
Thank you for your thoughts on the MS18.

I bet it's brutal in a very positive way as an expensive toy, since these big boys, as we know, are only capable of handling the huge amount of light/heat for short bursts.

However, even though proprietary battery packs can be seen as a con by some (in my ex-Olight SR90 or Thrunite TN40 I have zero complaints as they were never faulty or needed replacement), I am more concerned, however with the fans and active cooling. Coming from a non technical point of view, it strikes me as natural that those holes will be filled with dust with time. It will affect its efficiency, most likely.

Furthermore, as ChibiM mentioned and as one can see on YouTube, the fans are loud, which will be a turnoff for many, I belive.

Still, it's a milestone. The 100,000 lumens barrier has been reached (at least in claim).

Cheers and thank you for the detailed review.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Trailhunter:
I dont know. But they put some substance on the screws to make it more difficult/impossible to remove! So you might be able to replace them yourself. I just don't want to open it up right now.

I dont know this either. I can't find any screws or anything for opening the battery pack up. So they are probably hidden underneath somewhere. So I can't really comment on this either.

Druidmars:
Yep, it's brutal. Dust etc can clog up between the cooling fins. But since they are visible, you should be able to clean that up rather easily. And yes, although they state them as being quiet.. the fans are actually noisy!

My Pleasure

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Imalent obviously has done a serious attempt to make a monster light. Active cooling is great for holding the temperature within safe level. Still 100 000lm is a tremendeous amount of light output. Despite the cooling the light has stepdown after a short while at the three highest levels, and the highest level without stepdown(according to Imalent's own specs) is high I. If high I can put out the stated brightness, or close to, for an hour it would be awesome!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Since my brightest light is only 10,000 lumens, I now feel totally emasculated.

It looks like a fun light, but I think that fan noise would really bug me.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Imalent should stop lie with the lame lumens war, it is not a 100k lumens flashlight, not even at turnon it peaks even close that.. reality is more 75k max lumens, so useless... its so much lumens u dont even have any use for it from the vids and pics ive seen, the cool white total washes out whats in front of u, and if u want reach somethign very far its better to have a blf gt or something...

the fan noise alone would drive me nuts operating this light, if i want a hair dryier i will buy a imalent lol....

Last edited:

kcsr.org

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! Very much appreciated.

Still, it's a milestone. The 100,000 lumens barrier has been reached (at least in claim).

A milestone indeed. Would probably be more accurate to state "The 100,000 lumen claim barrier has been reached" ... and Imalent may regret going there if it doesn't at least come close to measuring up, or has widespread reliability or build quality issues. That said, I do love my DX80 and EU06.

seadial

Newly Enlightened
Chinese flashlights often have extravagant claims, some of my Skyray flashlights boast 30,000 lumens, but I bet they are just a fraction of that. Still you buy a flashlight to do a certain job and provided it does that job then the lumens do not really matter as long as you get some performance for the price paid. When I saw the advert for this 18 led, 100,000 lumens flashlight (via Gearbest today) I wondered what that level of light would be needed for. Once when I was with someone who dropped their keys on a beach the value of a broad beam "wall of light" proved its worth as we found them in the dark and that light only had 600 lumens. A tight beam, the light was adjustable, would have been like a searchlight in a prisoner of war camp traversing while missing everyone running around outside the beam in those old wartime movies. Although technically interesting, I think a flashlight with lesser output (fewer leds) that can be maintained for much longer by advanced cooling improvements would be more useful. Some of my flashlights, like my Nitecore Concept 2, get rather hot and that is only a claimed 6,500 lumens. Maybe they should have called this a Mini-Sun, bright and just as hot!

Last edited:

seadial

Newly Enlightened
An example of a wildly extravagant claim of 900000 lumens: ebay.com.au/itm/High-Power-900000Lumens-XHP50-Zoom-Flashlight-LED-Rechargeable-Torch-Headlamp/392553034836?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%

The justification will be that "900000 lumens" is its name, same as "high quality" or "industry approved, meets all standards" is a name.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light turned out to be junk, sold mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

One Bright Light

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone. I just received my MS18 and am getting used to it. My previous lights included a SR95, SR96 and TM26 Tiny Monster. This is by far the brightest light I've owned even though not very practical in a working environment. It gets way too hot for use at anything but the lowest of power settings but, man oh man, does it get your attention at the highest settings. The carry cases on the Olight line are much better and I am considering an after market case that can be adapted to hold the light securely like the one the Mauarader XR9 comes in.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and eventually share some knowledge and lessons learned as well.