Estimated ARC AAA runtime with new AAA lithiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hopefully they'll be out in a few months. Has anyone calculated the expected runtime, and will the partial regulation permit greater brightness?

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Estimated ARC AAA runtime with new AAA lithium

Since the Arc AAA circuit is the same as the Arc AA's (from what I heard), its behavior should be similar to an Arc AA with an L91 battery. Thus, brightness should be about the same as with an alkaline of the corresponding size, but with a flatter curve as the battery discharges. Runtime should be a bit longer but not spectacularly so.

The Arc AA and AAA already overdrive their LED's considerably. Making them even brighter is probably asking for trouble. If it were me, I'd back off the drive current a bit, certainly not increase it. If you want a brighter light, use a Luxeon.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lithiums are most beneficial in lights with high current draw or which are unregulated. Thus, there probably will be little benefit to using Li AAAs in the Arc.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

OK, a little disappointing but good to know. It might still be worth it for its temperature tolerance, long shelf life (I use it infrequently), and perhaps flatter response. Unfortunately Energizer may price these high because of their lock on the market.

Brightnorm

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Lighter weight--that's good enough for me. Hopefully they won't be too $$ in Canada.

usair

Newly Enlightened

Do you know a web store from where those lithium AAA will be released?

rodmeister

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Another benefit would be that the light would weigh less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah don't you hate those heavy ARC AAA's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

im looking forward to using them in my Black Diamond Moonlight and my Micro Illuminator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

usair

Newly Enlightened

Another advantage is that your flashlight will work at ultra cold temperature /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

My estimate is 7 hours. This is based on my measurement of 180 mA draw by the Arc AAA at 1.4V and the assumption that the capacity of the AAA lithium with be 45% of the AA lithium, the same ratio as their premium Alkaline cells. The AA lithium is rated at 2900 mAhr so the AAA should be around 1300. The output should be very flat since the AAA lithium should maintain 1.4V terminal voltage at this current draw for almost the entire discharge. Don't bother contacting Eveready about technical data on the AAA cells. I have. Their official position is to release no technical data until the cells are actually released for sale. I think that it is reasonable to use the 45% factor for capacity and use the AA [L91] datasheet and also assume that the Ri will be in the range of 25-40% higher than the AA. Note that the AA datasheet doesn't actually give a figure for Ri.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Battery Station has already said that he will carry them and discount them steeply for CPFers.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I'm betting it'll be significantly brighter, since the difference in voltage (1.5 alk vs 1.7 lith) will be magnified by the boost circuitry. Bright is good! I'm thinking runtime will be about the same or slightly better.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
My estimate is 7 hours...

[/ QUOTE ]

To what % of initial brightness?

Brightnorm

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
My estimate is 7 hours...

[/ QUOTE ]

To what % of initial brightness?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

30, 50, 70% ?? Any may be within the accuracy of my estimate. It should fall from 70 to 30% in only 5-10% of the total runtime due to the flatness of the cell discharge characteristic.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't know about runtime until they are released (if anyone does know the run time without actually seeing them, they should be playing the stock market!)

But,

Lighter than Alkaline
Better in cold weather conditions
Better long term energy retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.