Dorcy AAA head removal?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I can not find the old thread on this in a search.
I am trying to remove the reflector without damaging the bezel however have had to use a Dremel on every one so far.
I read somewhere that some have been able to actually push the reflector out the front without damage.
This seems impossible on all of my samples as they will not move at all.
Is it possible to heat one in boiling water or some other trick?
I am trying to put an NX-05 in the original bezel after I cut it down a little in order to work better with my luxeon mod I have done to the original board.
I have to keep the bezel intact for this to work and all I have tried has failed...any ideas?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Here's what I've done on several Dorcy AAA bezels.

Parts; large socket, small socket, c-clamp.

Find a large socket; the inside should be just a touch bigger than the diameter of teh reflector.

Find a small socket. It should be small enough to fit inside the bezel without hitting the ledge. It should press against the reflector.

Put socket-bezel-socket between the jaws of a vice or c-clamp As you tighten the clamp it should push the small socket against the reflector/lens forcing it into the hole in the big socket. You may need a second small socket to give enough length to clear the end.

You can do the same with a block of wood, a hammer and a dowel. Drill a hole in the block for the lens to fall into. Place bezel face down over the hole. Insert dowel against back of reflector and whack it with a hammer.

Daniel

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
It works....I can not believe it was so simple to do with the socket and clamp.I appreciate the idea and thank you for the help.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Re: Dorcy AAA Mods

I'm a new and based on my recent experience- flunkie MOD'r. I would however like a Dorcy AAA MOD'd with a 1W Luxeon, kinda like the Lambda Micro-Illuminator or Nano-mate. If anyone is willing to make one up, please PM me. I love the D-AAA as is but you know...that greed for LUMENS lurks..

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Dorcy AAA Mods

I think I posted some screen shots of mine with a 1 watt LD. It provides quite a nice flood with the stock reflector, or a nice spot with a 1/2 ball lens.

It doesn't seem brighter until you use it side by side with the stock unit.

Daniel