Fenix HM23 Compact LED Headlamp: Your New Go-To Hiking and Running Headlamp

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Fenix HM23 Compact LED Headlamp: Your New
Go-To Hiking and Running Headlamp

When you need power and minimum weight for your hiking or running activities, the new Fenix HM23 LED Headlamp is your go-to option. Image a maximum output of 240 Lumens from only 1.52 ounces. Add to that a maximum beam distance of 164 feet powered by a single alkaline battery. You will want to check out all the other features that are going to make this the new standard in affordable headlamps.

Last edited:

Cemoi

Enlightened
Hello Fenix Store,
Does the advertised weight (43g) include the headband?
Thanks

Cemoi

Enlightened
Thanks Fenix Store for your quick reply.
In addition to its reduced weight, this light has two features that I like, which are seldom found in the Fenix lights range: a neutral white LED, and a no-memory UI: I don't like to be blinded by an unexpected high setting when switching the light on, and I don't have to think of going to low mode before switching the light off, if I have been using it in medium or high mode.

Cemoi

Enlightened
Does the light accept AA lithium primaries (e.g. Energizer Ultimate), which are significantly lighter than Alcalines or NiMH?
I have seen this specified nowhere, amongst the many seller websites I have visited.
The only website where I was able to find the user manual for dowload is here:
http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=5298
but in the "User Manual" tab, clicking on the link to the pdf file gives an error in Chinese.
Thanks in advance.

hottdogg

Newly Enlightened
Fenix store,
Could you please tell us what CREE model that this light use?
thanks.

diggie

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered this headlamp to put in our car as an emergency flashlight. Let me tell you some things:

I like:
- The UI is simple, no worries someone won't be able to use it
- The lumen options are very usable
- It's fully water proof
- All the runtimes look good
- AA battery is easily available/stored

What I do not like:
- Chart says 240lm mode may step down. This is not great in an emergency light or even a headlight. No extra heatsink material could be added? The chart and the manual PDF do not state the conditions it steps down in. It's surprising to believe a single AA light can get so hot with the claimed 8 hour runtime. Is this true?
- It seems that Fenix in general have become a mess with AA/AAA lights. There are few models and each has some quirky features in terms of strange mode selection or size etc. Oh how I wish they would just bring back the LD01...

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. Is it a timed stepdown or a thermal one? Did you notice how long it takes roughly before it steps down?

diggie

Newly Enlightened
I only just received it, and the manual also doesn't state the step-down condition.

Mine has a slight green tint which is visible in low or medium modes and less so in high.

Pic of low/close-up which shows it:
https://imgur.com/a/EsYbZb0

Not too bad. Should be good enough for changing a tire in the dark/rain, anyway.

I would say the main drawback is no diffuser. You are guaranteed to annoying anyone you look at while wearing it.

Last edited:

diggie

Newly Enlightened
I have now learned that Fenix's runtime@output claims are a total fabrication, and, as a consequence, I don't recommend this light to anyone.

I am returning mine.

Note that it won't even stay at 70lm in medium mode:
fenix-hm23-runtime-graph.jpg

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a pitiful looking runtime chart. I hope like heck Fenix isn't going the way of other manufacturers with unrealistic runtimes and outputs. Fenix's honset stats and legit performance is why they have always been my go too brand.

diggie

Newly Enlightened
For anyone else who is disappointed by the HM23 and is looking for a properly regulated AA headlamp, I can recommend the Fenix HL50 (365)-- apparently produced when Fenix were still committed to being honest with their runtimes.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is not as much honesty - the runtimes are calculated based on an industry standard: if Fenix don't follow it, others will and will sell more because of it.

The problem, in my opinion, is the multiple step-downs within the first hour that make the highest output usable only for a very short time.

If the HM23 could hold the stated 240 lumens invariably for an hour or so, then drop down to 4 lumens for up to 100 hours just to have an inflated runtime for marketing purposes, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

The fact that the output progressively drops to 70 lumens in less than an hour is a deal-breaker!

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
The low 4lm is still too bright at night.
IMHO all these 'last resort' lights should have s.o.s. function. s.o.s doesn't make sense on those big bulky search lights. Fenix did it just the opposite way.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
this runtime chart 3328 might be based on the included AA China made battery?

Can someone measure the runtime chart based on Eneloop AA?

Unfortunatelly it is the same. The step downs are preprogrammed. :sick2: