Brightness of Dorcy AAA vs. Arc AAA

jbrett14

Enlightened
I realize this sounds like a foolish comparison. I would agree if I were asking about the quality in comparison, but I am strictly curious about the brightness only. I have several of the Dorcy's, but I have not spent the money on the Arc. Is the Arc brighter? By a lot? I know it is far superior in quality, so please just post regarding the brightness. For the most part, the quality of the Dorcy is more than adequate for general use, so I would only consider buying the Arc AAA if indeed it is brighter with a significant longer runtime. Otherwise it seems like major overkill to pay 5 times more for a light that never really would be subjected to the weather conditions and abuse that it is designed for. Kind of like using a deer rifle to kill a bird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both and the Dorcy is actually brighter than the Arc. Several others have reported the same. Of course brighter doesn't mean better. The Arc is my EDC because it is much more pocketable.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I would have to echo everything RonM said regarding your question. For me, pocketability is the number one factor for EDC. I carry my Arc in a front pants pocket. The Dorcy would definitely be too big. That said, right now my Dorcy is with me in my vest pocket while Arc is on the dresser.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I've bought 6-7 Dorcy's, and my friend Robocop has probably bought over twice that many, and we each have a Arc AAA-P, we've made this comparison many times.
The Dorcies(?) typically seem just as bright, maybe a little brighter, but with lots of variations in beam quality, and color. They all have lots of rings, some more than others. The Arcs have much smoother, better looking beams, with more usable spill, IMO.

jbrett14

Enlightened
You guys are great. Thank you very much for the quick responses. I've only known about this forum for a few weeks, and have been somewhat addicted to it ever since. What's wrong with us & our obsession with lights? Anyway, your posts have made it easier for me to make my decision. This may go against many of your opinions, but this is what I conclude on this matter: As a perfectionist, I appreciate high quality products (not just flashlights) as much as the next guy. However, I am also fairly practical in how my hard-earned money is used. It is very easy for any of us to sit down in our homes and critique all these lights under a "microscope". I tend to do it, and sometimes lose focus on what the light will actually be used for. 99% of the time, even though I like the perfect flawless beam of light, it is not necessary. When one is in "need" of some light (preferably bright), the only 2 "important" factors become: 1)Is the light readily available? 2)Does it work? If we really need the light, we probably will be concentrating on the action that requires the need, and not be thinking back about that night we compared the beam to another light. It sounds like the Dorcy is at least just as bright, but with a less-than-perfect beam quality. With this fact, and my reasoning, I will stick with the Dorcy's, at least in the AAA size anyway. It would be hard for me to justify the Arc in this case, simply because it has a nicer looking beam. That is a non-factor in a time of need. I also understand & agree that the Arc is more pocketable, but this is not my intention. I like to put small lights in a variety of places, e.g. luggage bags, coat pockets, briefcase, sports bag, etc. For this use, I just need some small, reliable lights. I don't need these lights to be "indestructable" or water-proof to a mile deep in the ocean, or have the perfect beam circle. I'll save those features for my camping lights. Thanks again.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more vote for the Dorcy.
I have Arc AAA, but the light I always carry in my left pants pocket is the Dorcy. I don't find it too big, and in that same pocket is a comb, Swiss Army Knife, and a fingernail clipper in addition to the Dorcy.

Dorcy? Go for it and unless you want to carry it on a keychain, you don't need a Arc AAA.

Jerry

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Owen said:
The Arcs have much smoother, better looking beams, with more usable spill, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the less smooth Dorcy beam comes with using a polished reflector.

However the Dorcy 1AAA's beam has a noticably larger hot-spot, as well as much larger spill-diameter/light-coverage.

Comparison beamshot
BeamDorcy2_ArcAAA.jpg

Please take a look at these threads:
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

It is true that the (much cheaper) Dorcy 1AAA can have variable beams - as you can see in the above posts the first Dorcy 1AAA I bought had a rather off-centered and patchy beam - but it was not bad enough (for me) to want to keep another Dorcy 1AAA with an almost perfectly centered beam but noticably bluer in tint (YMMV in choice).

I also found by simply rotating the LED circuit board to the only other orientation - the beam became much, much better - please see this post -
Dorcy 1AAA Beam adjustment

Lastly about usable spill - the Dorcy 1AAA had a coverage of about 82deg - which is about the same as a 25mm very wide angle lens on a 35mm format camera - whereas the ArcAAA was closer to about 64deg - about the same as a 35mm semi-wide to normal lens - I find the light coverage much better and more useful on the Dorcy 1AAA when compared to the ArcAAA........ please see this thread:

Light Coverage - spill-diameter

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Make no mistake about it...the more expensive Arc's can have great variability in the beam quality also. My Arc AAA
standard has the most angry blue artifacts in the beam of all my single 5mm nichia lights. The 4 Dorcy's I have all have better beam quality. I removed the reflector and lens from the Dorcy that I carry everyday. That completely cleaned up any rings in the beam.

jbrett14

Enlightened
WOW, now I am certainly convinced that the Dorcy is the way to go. The last 3 posts have been very interesting, actually favoring the $6 Dorcy. I would have figured anyone who actually bought the Arc would have felt a need, after spending the money, to claim it to be the best. But you guys have given some great un-biased statements without regard to opinions. That's great. Thanks.

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
I have Arc AAA, but the light I always carry in my left pants pocket is the Dorcy.

Jerry, have you ever had the Dorcy accidentally turn on in your pocket?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbrett14,

No, I have not. Maybe I am just fortunate, but I have carried one for 4 months without any problem.

Jerry

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jbrett14 said:
have you ever had the Dorcy accidentally turn on in your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

slight caveat here - if the front pants pocket is tight/full and the Dorcy is oriented vertially there is a chance when sitting down that accidental pressure can turn on the push-momentary switch.

First time I noticed this was at a video/movie night at a friend's house in the darkened TV room when I sat down my pocket lit up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

which brings a brand new meaning to
"is that a.... in your pocket,
or are you just pleased to see me?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think there have been reports of the push-momentary switches not turning off when released - but this is probably either a function of not unscrewing the tail-switch far out enough (~1/2 turn) - or some initial rough/sticky push-momentary button - that a little use will probably free up.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased dozens of the Dorcys for myself, gifts and for other CPFers who didn't have access to them. I give them to kids for gifts and I use them where I want to have a light sitting around and don't have to worry about keeping up with it. The primary reason that I buy them is the price. If they get lost or misplaced, it's no big deal. The newer 1AA might replace them (I haven't decided yet) simply because of the larger head, it stands up more securely.

I've purchased about 2-3 dozen ARC AAAs that I give as more serious gifts and use for myself. I carry and use 3 of them. I keep some on hand for when I need to give a gift.

I wouldn't think of carrying the Dorcy on me - I consider it to be an excellent "toy."

The Dorcy is slightly brighter than the ARC ON FRESH BATTERIES, mainly due to its lense and also the fact that it's overdriven.

FlameOn

Enlightened
Dorcys ar back at Target in West Hollwyood..picked up a 3 led AA for 9.99 cool little light...I liket he tactical looka nd the tail switch...nice for a cheapo little night stand light...

brickbat

Enlightened
Both these lights use overdriven LEDs. From what I've seen in my limited use, the Dorcy is a touch brighter. The beam quality is very similar. Where the Arc really 'shines' is that it was designed from the outset to be a pocketable EDC. It won't accidently turn on in your pocket, and it uses up no more pocket space than absolutely necessary. The Dorcy is twice the length of a AAA cell, and wastes additional volume with a reflector which, IMHO, is next to useless with a 5mm LED - their inherent beam is fine. I wish I could say the Arc was more reliable, too. But the recent history with the Arc intermittent start-up problem makes that not so.

The Dorcy is a heck of a value, but as often is the case, getting the last little bit of performance, or smaller size in electronics just costs more.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I agree with everyone that the Dorcy is brighter, but I personally hate the cheap switch on the Dorcy, for just having a quickie light laying around, the Dorcy is ok, but the attatchment they use for your keyring sucks and the switch is too easy to activate, yes you can un screw it to lock it out, but it's too cheap for EDC, great for a grab light--- Get a Opalec for your maglight, much better!! I went swimming with my ARC, and it's just fine--- the Arc is worth every penny, and plenty bright for your needs--- the premium version is better in beam color.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If you remove the crummy keyring, the switch has more range and seems to work much better. BTW, use care when removing the tail cap, since the switch assembly tends to drop out (as one piece). You might drop it in a puddle or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Techmedic

Enlightened
Would someone be kind enough to post a photo of the Dorcy AAA? (OK to redirect to another site) I have been looking for them (in Canada) and it is hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to locate them when you don't know what they look like!
Thanks!

FlameOn

Enlightened
Photonboy.....kudos! I just removed mine and it does work much better....I thought I had a bad tail switch....thanks...