Weapon Mounted Light (Choosing my best option)

7.92 Dreamin

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF, i'm hoping i can get some of your expert opinion on a setup i'm planning to do. I've spent the past few weeks scouring the web to determine what would work best for me, and this is what i've come up with. Please let me know what you think.

I have a need for a weapons mounted light for my AR carbine. My needs are basically a medium range spotter, that could be pressed out to ~120yd or indoor situations as needed. Very general purpose, basically. My budget is also generally limited ~200, I can't afford multiple lights or heads.

What sounded like it best fit this was the 300 scout light series. However due to mounting position and negligible increased weight, I decided i'd use a 600 series body. For the head I was initially thinking something like Malkoffs E1 Hyper Throw with a shorted battery in place of the second. But having the capacity of a 600 body, I was wondering if it would just be smarter to use one of the E2 heads or even an MDC head-- although it has no specs for usable distance.

Basically I have no experience with lights so comparisons of lumens, amounts of throw and spill, and whats usable indoors or at a distance are beyond me, and i hope you can tell me your experience.

Would getting an E1 head work, but be wasting the potential of having space for another battery?
Would an E2 head be too much for indoors?
Would an MDC head be able to split the line between the two (can run off 1 or 2 123, steps down after 10 etc)?

Also open to suggestions for the momentary switch. Current plan:

Malkoff Head (dunno what)
Arisaka 600 Body
Arisaka Momentary

Please don't hold back if this is all stupid.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an easy alternative, Nitecore sells a rifle setup for the P30 light, which includes the P30, a mount, and a momentary contact switch, for a little over $100 USD. The P30 is a neat little thrower that has a nice strong center spot, with just enough spill to maintain awareness of the area around you. My P30 is part of my EDC set that I use whenever I need more light than my EA11 has. There are some very good clips on YouTube that are worth watching.

Javora

Enlightened
I've had good luck with my Lumintop TD15S if you can still find them. It's similar to Timothbil P30 from his post.

7.92 Dreamin

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore sells a rifle setup for the P30 light ...

[COLOR=#3E3E3E said:
Javora] [/COLOR]I've had good luck with my Lumintop TD15S if you can still find them. It's similar to Timothbil P30 from his post.

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them out and see if they might work for me. I'm still pretty biased towards a scout series w/ arisaka body tho just for weight reasons-- its something absurdly low like 3-4 oz.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, you can run an E1-series head on a 600 body with a CR123 spacer. I do it often when I want to use my E1HT in a handheld mode (without removing the mount).

I run an E2 Super Throw on an AR, with an Arisaka 600, and don't consider it overkill at all for indoor use. The spot is fairly small, but it'll certainly get the job done.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I'd save up a little more and snag a Modlite. There is just nothing out there that compares to them at present.

SpiritHill

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy without first checking out Surefire. In my humble opinion, if you want a weapons light, these are the top notch source. They can be pricey so watch the prices closely. You can also write them telling them what you did here plus what you may have learned and ask for their recommendation.