FourSevens        
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

  1. #1

    Default NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019


    For Your Reading Pleasure This Weekend


    Last edited by fenix store; 06-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Some fascinating stuff in here. But I am worried that Fenix is going to lose the enthusiast crowd with unnecessary stepdows on their newest lights.

    Consider the HM65R. Initially I was excited. USB-C! Dual flood and throw! Simple UI! Non-proprietary battery! CR123A backup! All around a nearly perfect set of features. But the runtimes are too good to be true. 1000 lumens is a lot and I won't complain about a 30% turbo stepdown there. But there is no need for a stepdown at 400 lumens or less.

    The 400 lumen and 130 lumen spot mode step down to 20%. The 50 lumen spot steps down to 30%. For the flood emitter the 400 lumen mode seems to step down to 15% and the 130 lumen mode also steps down to 20%.

    Of the 7 modes in this headlamp all except the 4 lumen moonlight need to have severe stepdowns to reach the claimed runtimes. I won't be able to recommend a headlamp like this to anyone.

    On the other hand the LD42 looks great and doesn't appear to have any stepdowns. Being able to sustain 1000 lumens on AAs is a solid accomplishment and what I expect from Fenix's engineers.
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    41 brands, 2124 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

  3. #3

    Default Re: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    I don't see Ruike in the catalog?
    Last edited by fenix store; 06-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    We corrected the post title. Thank you for pointing that out.

    Quote Originally Posted by ktsl View Post
    I don't see Ruike in the catalog?

  5. #5

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Comment sent to Fenix engineers. Thanks for your feedback.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* LeanBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,173

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see a proper successor to the venerable E01.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

  7. #7

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Not in the catalog but Fenix has new lights releasing in the next several months. They definitel
    y have heard the customer voice in that something is needed. So let's wait and see. Word is the new releases will be really exciting. Thanks for looking through the catalog.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see a proper successor to the venerable E01.

  8. #8

    Default Re: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    I want to be able to save a copy, not only view it online. The direct download link doesn't work for me!

    Am I the only one having this problem?

  9. #9

    Default Re: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    Please look at this photo. You should see a download button in the upper right corner of the screen. When you click on that, then click on "Direct Download." If you have room on your computer, it should start downloading. It is a large file so it will take a little while. Then you can find the download where ever your computer downloads to.

    Did this work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight.Sun View Post
    I want to be able to save a copy, not only view it online. The direct download link doesn't work for me!

    Am I the only one having this problem?

  10. #10

    Default Re: NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

    146 MB ! It's way overkill for a pdf catalogue.

    Downloaded successfully, thanks for the help.

  11. #11

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    Some fascinating stuff in here. But I am worried that Fenix is going to lose the enthusiast crowd with unnecessary stepdows on their newest lights.

    Consider the HM65R. Initially I was excited. USB-C! Dual flood and throw! Simple UI! Non-proprietary battery! CR123A backup! All around a nearly perfect set of features. But the runtimes are too good to be true. 1000 lumens is a lot and I won't complain about a 30% turbo stepdown there. But there is no need for a stepdown at 400 lumens or less.

    The 400 lumen and 130 lumen spot mode step down to 20%. The 50 lumen spot steps down to 30%. For the flood emitter the 400 lumen mode seems to step down to 15% and the 130 lumen mode also steps down to 20%.

    Of the 7 modes in this headlamp all except the 4 lumen moonlight need to have severe stepdowns to reach the claimed runtimes. I won't be able to recommend a headlamp like this to anyone.

    On the other hand the LD42 looks great and doesn't appear to have any stepdowns. Being able to sustain 1000 lumens on AAs is a solid accomplishment and what I expect from Fenix's engineers.
    Stepdown on HM65R is nothing compared to HM23 with claimed 240 lumens for 8 hours on one AA. It actually steps down from 240 lm to 30 lm to reach this runtime. Not a good way for Fenix to mislead customers

  12. #12

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    jirik_cz We sent your comment to the Fenix engineers to respond. The statement about "misleading customers" needed to be addressed because it is never the intention for that to happen. Better understanding of the process will help you understand Fenix isn't misleading the customers. Here is the response they sent you:

    As we know, our product development and testing always follow the PLATO standard, which is not what Fenix doing only but the entire lighting industry. Please see below for more details.
    https://www.plato-usa.org/about/standard
    Run Time
    Tested with fresh batteries from 30 seconds after the light is turned on until the light output reaches 10% of the initial measurement. This is the total time of useable light before most consumers will change batteries.

    Actually, the stepdown control is for user’ safety guarantee and customers can still get back to the higher output level with clicking the button again. Moreover, there is always the note as below in our PPT announcements and user manuals. So the customers may miss some important information.

    *The high output is measured in total of runtime including output at reduced levels due to temperature or protection mechanism in the design.

    *The runtime of turbo is the cumulative time when overheat protection active.




    Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    Stepdown on HM65R is nothing compared to HM23 with claimed 240 lumens for 8 hours on one AA. It actually steps down from 240 lm to 30 lm to reach this runtime. Not a good way for Fenix to mislead customers

  13. #13

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    I understand, that technically it is correct by the ANSI standard, but practically it is misleading customers. When you see runtime of 240 lumens for 8 hours on the package, you just do not expect, that it will actually run on 30 lumens for 7 hours out of 8. So for 87,5% of claimed runtime you will get only 12,5% of claimed output. If you repeatedly reselect higher mode, then the runtime will be like 3x-4x times shorter than claimed 8 hours.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,627

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    I understand, that technically it is correct by the ANSI standard, but practically it is misleading customers. When you see runtime of 240 lumens for 8 hours on the package, you just do not expect, that it will actually run on 30 lumens for 7 hours out of 8. So for 87,5% of claimed runtime you will get only 12,5% of claimed output. If you repeatedly reselect higher mode, then the runtime will be like 3x-4x times shorter than claimed 8 hours.
    And if you notice on a lot of the new Fenix packaging it includes a graph that shows the exact runtimes and stepdowns for each mode
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  15. #15

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    And if you notice on a lot of the new Fenix packaging it includes a graph that shows the exact runtimes and stepdowns for each mode
    No they've stopped doing that. They've also stopped saying what LEDs they are using in their lights.
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    41 brands, 2124 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

  16. #16

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    parametrek, please post a link to the light(s) that you say Fenix isn't listing their LEDs. I believe all lights have the LED listed. If not, we will follow up and make sure it isn't left off the site by mistake.


    Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    No they've stopped doing that. They've also stopped saying what LEDs they are using in their lights.

  17. #17

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Update on LED type used in future lights. There is a possibility that Fenix will state the type of LED used rather than the specific model.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,627

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    I noticed on the PD36R the LED is not listed. I would like fenix to list the LED as well as return to posting the runtime graph.

    The LED is pretty well required information and the graph puts Fenix ahead of the competition as far as runtime transparency goes. I understand the ANSI FL-1 standard but when recommending lights to non-flashlight enthusiasts, the graph makes it very simple to help them avoid disappointment and frustration when a small light doesn't actually run 1k lumens for 2hrs.
    Last edited by Tac Gunner; 06-24-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* seery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    By not listing/disclosing the LED, Fenix could alienate themselves from a significant customer base.

  20. #20

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    The PD36R includes LUMINUS SST-40 LED. Fenix Store will list the LED on all the product pages we post. We get additional documentation on new lights, and the LED type is listed in the documentation. We assure you, Fenix doesn't intend to alienate their customers. Please understand the CPF group is a unique group which understands and desires to know the LED type. A majority of customers never question LED types. Because we work closely with the Fenix engineers, you can always ask questions here and we will get the answers from the engineers.

    Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    By not listing/disclosing the LED, Fenix could alienate themselves from a significant customer base.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* seery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Thank you Fenix Store.

  22. #22

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    We have some information we wanted to share with everyone concerning Fenix not include the LED info and runtime charts in their images. That has been a marketing decision by Fenix; however, when new products are announced to Fenix distributors, we also get several other documents. THIS IS ONE which Fenix Store will probably start including in the product description on the Fenix Store website. This document will have the runtime chart included. We plan to get the LED specs from the engineers as lights are released. We will post those on our product pages. We hope this helps. Please post questions if you have any.
    Last edited by fenix store; 06-26-2019 at 12:04 PM.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* Tac Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bluegrass Region of KY
    Posts
    1,627

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    While I wish Fenix hadn't decided to make the change at the corporate level, I am glad you all have taken it upon yourselves to continue posting it! Another reason why I you all have become my main source for flashlights.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

  24. #24

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    [Deleted - I can't be bothered even having the argument, I am done with Fenix over these highly deceptive mode summary tables which, in my opinion, are lies]
    Last edited by diggie; 09-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,737

    Default Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

    Any news about the 2020 catalog? If I remember correctly the Q1 catalog was released in January the previous years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •