NEW Fenix Catalog: May, 2019

parametrek

Enlightened
Re: NEW Fenix & Ruike Catalog: May, 2019

Some fascinating stuff in here. But I am worried that Fenix is going to lose the enthusiast crowd with unnecessary stepdows on their newest lights.

Consider the HM65R. Initially I was excited. USB-C! Dual flood and throw! Simple UI! Non-proprietary battery! CR123A backup! All around a nearly perfect set of features. But the runtimes are too good to be true. 1000 lumens is a lot and I won't complain about a 30% turbo stepdown there. But there is no need for a stepdown at 400 lumens or less.

The 400 lumen and 130 lumen spot mode step down to 20%. The 50 lumen spot steps down to 30%. For the flood emitter the 400 lumen mode seems to step down to 15% and the 130 lumen mode also steps down to 20%.

Of the 7 modes in this headlamp all except the 4 lumen moonlight need to have severe stepdowns to reach the claimed runtimes. I won't be able to recommend a headlamp like this to anyone.

On the other hand the LD42 looks great and doesn't appear to have any stepdowns. Being able to sustain 1000 lumens on AAs is a solid accomplishment and what I expect from Fenix's engineers.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
I don't see Ruike in the catalog?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

Comment sent to Fenix engineers. Thanks for your feedback.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see a proper successor to the venerable E01. :huh2:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

Not in the catalog but Fenix has new lights releasing in the next several months. They definitel
y have heard the customer voice in that something is needed. So let's wait and see. Word is the new releases will be really exciting. Thanks for looking through the catalog.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see a proper successor to the venerable E01. :huh2:

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
I want to be able to save a copy, not only view it online. The direct download link doesn't work for me!

Am I the only one having this problem?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Please look at this photo. You should see a download button in the upper right corner of the screen. When you click on that, then click on "Direct Download." If you have room on your computer, it should start downloading. It is a large file so it will take a little while. Then you can find the download where ever your computer downloads to.

Did this work?

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-05%20at%2011.02.39%20AM_zpsx8gjveoz.png
I want to be able to save a copy, not only view it online. The direct download link doesn't work for me!

Am I the only one having this problem?

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
146 MB ! It's way overkill for a pdf catalogue.

Downloaded successfully, thanks for the help.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some fascinating stuff in here. But I am worried that Fenix is going to lose the enthusiast crowd with unnecessary stepdows on their newest lights.

Consider the HM65R. Initially I was excited. USB-C! Dual flood and throw! Simple UI! Non-proprietary battery! CR123A backup! All around a nearly perfect set of features. But the runtimes are too good to be true. 1000 lumens is a lot and I won't complain about a 30% turbo stepdown there. But there is no need for a stepdown at 400 lumens or less.

The 400 lumen and 130 lumen spot mode step down to 20%. The 50 lumen spot steps down to 30%. For the flood emitter the 400 lumen mode seems to step down to 15% and the 130 lumen mode also steps down to 20%.

Of the 7 modes in this headlamp all except the 4 lumen moonlight need to have severe stepdowns to reach the claimed runtimes. I won't be able to recommend a headlamp like this to anyone.

On the other hand the LD42 looks great and doesn't appear to have any stepdowns. Being able to sustain 1000 lumens on AAs is a solid accomplishment and what I expect from Fenix's engineers.

Stepdown on HM65R is nothing compared to HM23 with claimed 240 lumens for 8 hours on one AA. It actually steps down from 240 lm to 30 lm to reach this runtime. Not a good way for Fenix to mislead customers :(

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

jirik_cz We sent your comment to the Fenix engineers to respond. The statement about "misleading customers" needed to be addressed because it is never the intention for that to happen. Better understanding of the process will help you understand Fenix isn't misleading the customers. Here is the response they sent you:

As we know, our product development and testing always follow the PLATO standard, which is not what Fenix doing only but the entire lighting industry. Please see below for more details.
https://www.plato-usa.org/about/standard
Run Time
Tested with fresh batteries from 30 seconds after the light is turned on until the light output reaches 10% of the initial measurement. This is the total time of useable light before most consumers will change batteries.

Actually, the stepdown control is for user' safety guarantee and customers can still get back to the higher output level with clicking the button again. Moreover, there is always the note as below in our PPT announcements and user manuals. So the customers may miss some important information.

*The high output is measured in total of runtime including output at reduced levels due to temperature or protection mechanism in the design.

*The runtime of turbo is the cumulative time when overheat protection active.

Stepdown on HM65R is nothing compared to HM23 with claimed 240 lumens for 8 hours on one AA. It actually steps down from 240 lm to 30 lm to reach this runtime. Not a good way for Fenix to mislead customers :(

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand, that technically it is correct by the ANSI standard, but practically it is misleading customers. When you see runtime of 240 lumens for 8 hours on the package, you just do not expect, that it will actually run on 30 lumens for 7 hours out of 8. So for 87,5% of claimed runtime you will get only 12,5% of claimed output. If you repeatedly reselect higher mode, then the runtime will be like 3x-4x times shorter than claimed 8 hours.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand, that technically it is correct by the ANSI standard, but practically it is misleading customers. When you see runtime of 240 lumens for 8 hours on the package, you just do not expect, that it will actually run on 30 lumens for 7 hours out of 8. So for 87,5% of claimed runtime you will get only 12,5% of claimed output. If you repeatedly reselect higher mode, then the runtime will be like 3x-4x times shorter than claimed 8 hours.

And if you notice on a lot of the new Fenix packaging it includes a graph that shows the exact runtimes and stepdowns for each mode

parametrek

Enlightened

And if you notice on a lot of the new Fenix packaging it includes a graph that shows the exact runtimes and stepdowns for each mode

No they've stopped doing that. They've also stopped saying what LEDs they are using in their lights.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

parametrek, please post a link to the light(s) that you say Fenix isn't listing their LEDs. I believe all lights have the LED listed. If not, we will follow up and make sure it isn't left off the site by mistake.

No they've stopped doing that. They've also stopped saying what LEDs they are using in their lights.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

Update on LED type used in future lights. There is a possibility that Fenix will state the type of LED used rather than the specific model.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed on the PD36R the LED is not listed. I would like fenix to list the LED as well as return to posting the runtime graph.

The LED is pretty well required information and the graph puts Fenix ahead of the competition as far as runtime transparency goes. I understand the ANSI FL-1 standard but when recommending lights to non-flashlight enthusiasts, the graph makes it very simple to help them avoid disappointment and frustration when a small light doesn't actually run 1k lumens for 2hrs.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

By not listing/disclosing the LED, Fenix could alienate themselves from a significant customer base.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor

The PD36R includes LUMINUS SST-40 LED. Fenix Store will list the LED on all the product pages we post. We get additional documentation on new lights, and the LED type is listed in the documentation. We assure you, Fenix doesn't intend to alienate their customers. Please understand the CPF group is a unique group which understands and desires to know the LED type. A majority of customers never question LED types. Because we work closely with the Fenix engineers, you can always ask questions here and we will get the answers from the engineers.

By not listing/disclosing the LED, Fenix could alienate themselves from a significant customer base.