Fenix E18R, E30R, and PD35 V2 thoughts

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
9M1mjbw.jpg

I received my Fenix E30R a couple days ago and I am torn. I love the idea of an 18650 light this small! The hot spot is large and soft which I also love. It may not be the best for showing off to friends or something but for usefulness as an actual flashlight it is great. The tint is a little green/yellow compared to the E18R and new PD35 though. I had bought an E18R about 6 months ago or so and am absolutely amazed with that little guy. There is nothing I don't like about it. The PD35 V2 is also excellent but the hot spot is tiny compared to just about all of my other lights. It is great for throw but if you are walking in the woods the hot spot is too concentrated. That all being said, I feel like Fenix may have either missed the target with the E30R or maybe they had the wrong target. OR I am being ridiculous which is quite possible as well :). I think they would have been better to NOT have a 1600 lumen mode on the E30R because it gets super hot super fast and I really don't think you are going to use that level unless you are showing it off or something. I think they should have either just eliminated the 1600 lumen mode and added a 3-5 lumen mode or they could have just copied the E18R but added the 18650 option.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my pic and thoughts on these lights and see if any of you had similar thoughts or if I am being too picky.

syga

Newly Enlightened
I bought a PD35v2 about a month ago mainly for its battery indicator, IP rating and size. Only thing I don't like as you wrote is the hot spot while walking in dark paths. I just use a white plastic bottle cap that snaps on to the lens to act as a diffuser. It eliminates the hotspot, acts as a floodlight and protects the lens while not being used. You can also buy a diffuser from Fenix, but I've never tried it.
I mainly use it on low and eco, still on its first charge

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Beam shots? I'm curious to see the different size hotspots of all three, as I don't have any of them.

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
gExur6b.jpg

Here is a beam shot of the three lights in the same order with the E18R on the bottom, then the E30R, then the PD35 V2. The E18R and E30R are the same sort of hot spot and use a similar lens. The PD35 V2 is about 1/3 to 1/2 the size and much hotter. The E18R was at 750 lumens, the E30R was at 800 Lumens, and I only had the PD35 on 350 lumens or its light reflecting off the ceiling messed up the photo on the phone. Sorry.

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, thanks! That PD35 looks to be designed as a serious thrower with that hotspot intensity, especially next to the other two.

I usually get the best beam profiles on lower modes (not that I have extensive experience or photographic training, I certainly do not).

Fenix118

Newly Enlightened
Hey heckeng just wondering if your e30r head portion rattles?
When i shake my e30r it sounds like something is loose inside. If i remove the battery portion i find the sound is coming from the head (led driver).
Thanks

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my e30r. I will give my olight s2r baton ii to my friend for his birthday in order to justify it's purchase. The e30r is much brighter and has a better beam - tint, hotspot spill... But I really miss having a quick way to turbo. Other than that, it's a impressive light.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hello heckeng! Thanks very much for your comments, will be noted.

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Fenix1. The E30r is the PERFECT size, and I love the flood. I just wish it wasn't green and trade the 1600 lumens for a 5 lumen mode and I am set! I am hoping you guys come out with a couple different versions and I'll grab a couple of those of they fit the bill 🙂. Basically a smaller pd35v2.