My fathers retirement problem

Negeltu

Enlightened
My dad just turned 55 this year and put in the first of his retirement papers. He's a millwright with the local 1831 in DC. He's worked for them for over 23 years. Well, he got back the last of the papers he has to sign and found out they are not gonna pay him the extra $400 a month he should get because he was drafted when he started working with them. He was drafted and served his country so he gets penalized???????? I don't understand this. He's had a hard life...barely missed days...worked night shift for them for years... lots of overtime... and then they do this?? Can they even do that? Anyone have any suggestions?

Negeltu

Enlightened
Yeah... I told him that, but he can't afford it. My mother has been in the hospital for awhile now. His insurance covered $200,000, but it's costing much more than that... he owes about $45,000 more that the insurance didn't pick up. He is having alot of financial troubles.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
If he is having financial trouble, he may want to reconsider retiring. I consider 55 too young to retire unless one is really in bad health. I worked for the government for 30 years and then retired at 47 (I got a special wavier on the 55 year age requirement). Went to work for them when I was 20 but I got credit for my sick leave that gave me 30 years. I stayed retired for a whole month, then found a new job. Forty seven was too young to retire. I am now 59 and have a bad heart that they say they can't operate on but I still go to work every day at something I like to do. Maybe your father should find a job to supplement his retirement. Something that is less strenuous than being a millwright and something he would like. The key is "something he would like". I have two close friends that are millionaires many times over. Yet they go to work every day. Why? Because they love their work. If you like what you are doing, 55 is to young to quit doing it.

Hospital bills are often negotiable if you set down with them and show them that you are willing to pay but just can not afford it. I have a friend who owed the hospital over a $100,000 and after a hospital committee reviewed his finances they cut his bill 90%. He couldn't get the doctors to cut their bill but he did get the hospital to cut theirs. If you ask the worse that can happen is they say, no.

javafool

Enlightened
I seems to me like the local 1831 in DC should go to bat for your dad. I'm sure he paid his dues and supported union for all those years. It is time for them to support him and get him all that he has coming.

DaveH

Enlightened
Several years ago I knew somone who had a 20K medical bill, they literally payed
$20 a month for a couple of years untill it was renegotiated as previously described.

Negeltu

Enlightened
LightofMine,

Yeah, my dad is going to supplement his retirement with other things. He wouldn't know what to do without any work anyway...lol. He fishes...hunts...but he still likes to work. The job he is in is just too much now. He's gonna retire and then take something on that is easier.

javafool,

I'll talk to him about that. I'm not sure he is aware of all his options.

Thanks for the input guys.