First-Light USA Tomahawk and T Max

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where the original thread is hiding but for those wondering what I've been up to....I took a T Max LE and had a brass body/battery tube made.
This was the result.
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1559503207.278509.jpg

Now Titanium
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1559503266.358796.jpg

Works on both Tomahawk and T Max, simple drop in part that functions same as the original.... even the wider knurled body (can't use this one with the TRS system) but still works with clip and finger loop.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arch, apologies I thought there was one I started on this particular project but I guess I did not. You must have a hound dog search engine to find those cause I couldn't!

These were made in titanium after my brass one was a success. The first are patterned off the original. Works with all factory parts and is a simple take the factory aluminum one off and install this one.

The second was a final brainstorm idea matched with numbers, measurements, and detailed drawing before having it done. Final product allows use with all factory parts except the TRS mount. But with the clip you don't really "need" the TRS.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed. Having had a couple First Light models and 1 new light where the scalloped tail cap galled and stuck itself to the bottom of the aluminum tube... getting the thing off was almost impossible. First Light sent me another tube and cap but I got the idea to make it out of better material (who doesn't love titanium). Brass first as a test then titanium. The current aluminum seems quite soft for me.
2 of these are slightly longer to take protected batteries and I d like to try a 16650 but wondering if I ll have lockout issues due to voltage.
Then there's the cool factor of the larger grippier body for use without the TRS

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light. Hadn't heard of it until your post. What are the specs on the white LEDs?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light. Hadn't heard of it until your post. What are the specs on the white LEDs?

Thanks Lion,
The green one is a Tomahawk MC (multi color) 425 lumen 2 cr123 cells... high med low and Max 425 over ride. 2 secondary color leds, green, red, and green/ red mix (helps spot blood better than green or red Alone) and very effective.

The black is a T Max LE 700 lumen with high med low, over ride, secondary leds are blue, red, green, blue/red/ white wig wag or safety beacon, white strobe, and also red/green mix which I didn't realize previously.

I ve done some videos on YouTube you may find useful... look for sdsteveb

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I ve been told the 16650 "will" work... so another cpf r told me back in January. I haven't been able to get one. However the mah rating is about double than what my 17670 was.
I figure if I could tease First Light enough with these they ll either get upset or maybe rethink their strategy.
For sure let me know with your 425. I found some orbtronic batteries but not got yet.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the look of the thicker body. When mine arrives I'll try a 16650 and see what happens. If I had to guess, it won't work.

Correct, mine does not work properly on the lower voltage.

From what I ve been told the 16650 "will" work... so another cpf r told me back in January. I haven't been able to get one....

I can't remember exactly what the problem was, I think it lost high output and UI acted kinda funky ?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@archimedes

Which light do you have? 425 or 700 lumens? A request was made for me to do a tube for 2x 16650 but that would be ridiculously long and out of place.

First Light as well as a modder told me the circuit boards are designed to work with around 6v and could handle up to 8v (if I remember correctly) and it would be difficult to fry the light if experimenting within reason.

I had considered a tube for 18650 but if that's the case with voltage then it would be a bad move. Someone did tell me that the 16650 works but I m wondering for how long.

FWIW, 17670 works well in the 125 and 150 lumen older lights. The 17650 works on the 425 but not for very long till it locks out. T Max 700 doesn't like the 17670 at all!

One solution I found was 16340 batteries x 2 @ 700 mah and the aw imr @ 550 mah and I get acceptable runtime however when I go to charge em they are reading at zero%. Xtar dragon charges em up and they keep going.... for how long who knows.

2 of these tubes are 2mm longer to accommodate keeppower 16340x 2 as well as other brands. Just need to experiment but the platform I find very useful and it was my primary light till I built my retention system for my HDS now it has taken top place again.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool little lights, like those a lot, love the ti bodies to:cool:

Thanks ven I appreciate the compliment. The knurling on the narrow ones needs to be taken down a bit as it currently will eat up my TRS sleeve.

These were a test run and I m pleased with the results so more "possibly could" be made depending on demand.

I sourced the titanium myself. I m wanting to possibly get them dlc coated but not sure if that would be better or better natural plus not sure what it will do to the conductive properties (will it still work)...🤔

archimedes

Flashaholic
@archimedes

Which light do you have? 425 or 700 lumens? ....

Mine is the First-Light Tomahawk MC (425 + red/blue)

Some of what you describe above sounds like it may be pretty tough on both the batteries and the flashlight driver. Not recommended to those unaware of the risks involved.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer The T Max LE so far has been the overall best tint, throw, and versatile when it comes to hands free operation.

Archimedes I have the Tomahawk MC green/red 425, Tomahawk NV 425, and T Max 700. The rcr123 or 16340 x 2 is definitely the way to stay safe.
17670 I haven't had any problems except the lights not running very long but not noticed any safety issues. I typically don't run any of my lights at full power for extended length of time and I m truly no expert at this but so far all has been fine. And I never get batteries on eBay amazon or anything other place that could be inferior

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I lucked up and found a 150 lumen version complete with the TRS in the WTS section here at a really good price a couple years back and thought they should be standard issue for state police.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My point was that running two unprotected Li-Ion in series, in a device designed to drain two primaries dry, is asking for problems :shakehead

And typically there won't be much warning prior to :poof:

Last edited: