[New][Review] Nitecore LR50 - lantern+powerbank, 2x18650, high CRI

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore sent me an early sample of the LR50, their newest lantern. This is a neutral white, high CRI lantern that is powered by 1 or 2 18650 cells, with the ability to use CR123A as backups. It charges via micro-USB, doubles as a power bank, and has a sleek and carry-friendly form factor.
While Nitecore has a whole lineup of lanterns, this is their first model that has replaceable cells and built in charging, as well as their first that doubles as a power bank.
I carry a powerbank with me quite often - when I travel, on backpacking trips, and sometimes just around town. I always prefer to bring one with replaceable cells as well. The LR50 works great as a powerbank, while serving double duty as a lantern or emergency light. It's water resistant, high CRI, and has a magnetic base - three of my favorite features in any light.
The UI is simple, and the configurable beam direction is useful as well. It's been jostling around my bag for over a week now, and the two-button press required to power it on means it hasn't turned on when I didn't want it to.
I'm not a fan of the two bays being wired together, and when I opened mine up one of the wires was damaged to the point that it could be dangerous. Hopefully this is limited to my sample.

UPDATE: I've updated the review with a teardown and a statement from Nitecore regarding an issue I found. Click below to read the full review!
https://www.bmengineer.com/2019/06/new-nitecore-lr50.html

Last edited: