OT? Is there an Android smart-phone app that limits battery charge % to below 90%?

L_D_Allan

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if OT ...

I have a LG Arista entry level smart-phone from about 2016 or '17 with Android 7.1 Nougat. I try to limit the charge to 80% to 90%, but it regularly happens that I carelessly allow it to get to 100%.

My older Dell laptop and newer Lenova laptop (both Win-10) have this capability of limiting the maximum charge percentage, to extend the lifetime of their significantly more expensive batteries.

This Android semi-newbie has looked into several Android App Store utilities that claim to provide "Battery Management", but this apparently sophisticated capability wasn't mentioned.

The objective is to extend the lifetime of the smart-phone battery without the nuisance of "baby-sitting" while charging is taking place. I want to be able to do what I can do with my Lenova laptop ...
"Charge and Forget" and return hours later with the battery charge % significantly below 100%.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have not found anything to do this from the phone side.

I use a programmable outlet-side device to limit this excess charging.

parametrek

Enlightened
You want the aptly named "Battery Charge Limit" app. It is in both the Play Store and the FDroid open-source app repository. However it requires a rooted android device because there is no official API for controlling charging.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
100%. Battery Charge Limit is the app that I use a lot on the rooted phones I own (Google Pixel and OnePlus 6T) to limit the maximum charge to 80% and automatically recharge at 20% to try and up the lifespan of the Lithium polymer batteries in those phones.

Root access is necessary (ie. Magisk or Superuser root installed, and it requires unlocked bootloaders nowadays).

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

Zman

Enlightened
Look up Gard charge from joybien. I purchased either on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. It may do what you want. I was pretty happy you can time out or you can use voltage to end charge.