FourSevens        
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

  1. #1

    Default Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    Hi guys,

    I've been looking for a set of flashlight for my wife and myself. Since she prefers some specific features, the list will be in two sections: Mutual and For Her. The closer to the list you can suggest the better, but all suggestions are welcome.

    Mutual:
    _ Budget: up to $150, battery included
    _ Battery:
    + Micro-USB/ USB-C rechargeable (whether charge on the batter itself, or on the flashlight)
    + Removable
    + High mode: At least 1hr @ 1,000 lms
    _ UI: Single-handed use, with instant access to momentary light, and turbo/strobe mode
    _ IPX 7/8

    For her:
    _ Button: Tailcap (I can have either tailcap or side button)
    _ Size:
    + Body diameter: up to 30 mm / 1.2 in (I'm fine with 50 mm / 2 in body diameter)
    + Length: up to 102 mm / 4 in ( I'm comfortable with 165 mm / 6.5 in in length)


    I have researched and compiled a list of 28 flashlights, with the following meeting most features at good prices:

    Tailcap button:
    + EagleTac (tailcap button + twisty head for modes ==> 2 hands): DX3L Pro Rechargeable, G3L, S25L-R, S25L-R MK II, T25L-R MK II
    + Acebeam (tailcap button + 1 side button for on-off switch and modes ==> 2 hands): L16, L30 Gen II

    Side button:
    + EagleTac (2 side buttons for on-off switch and modes): TX3G Pro MK II
    + ThruNite (1 side button for on-off switch and modes): TC20, TC15
    + Acebeam (1 side button for on-off switch and modes): EC50 Gen III


    In this list, the ThruNite TC20 is the best value: $90.00 (1x26650@5,000mAh + Micro USB cable, High mode @ 1,800 lms for 2.5 hrs). The Acebeam EC50-III is the same, in my opinion, except for $25 more. However, neither has a tailcap button AND I'm not sure if I have instant access to momentary light, and turbo/strobe mode, for which I'm still looking better options for my wife.

    Hope to hear from you!

  2. #2
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Land of the rising sun
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    A few points:

    1. I wouldn't trust any family member's lives with the 3 makes you listed under the "Side button" section.
    2. Be aware that for any light that you are using for self defense you should be using CR123, as they provide the highest output for the size and will also not cut out at the worst time like a rechargable li-ion cell can and will.
    3. In saying that there are obviously some advantages to using USB, i.e. you can always keep it toped up, and 18650 cells will give brighter and longer runtimes than CR123.
    4. Anything above 100 lumens is good for situational awareness and can be used for "self defense" / safety.
    5. Side mode buttons can and will be accidental be pressed at the worst time, changing mode from high to low, so not recommended on the smaller lights.
    6. Tail switches only for tactical lights.
    7. No disco modes/SOS modes are needed.
    8. High only is best for tactical use, or at least high/low, or high/strobe/low.

    Personally I'd recommend the Elzetta Alpha (415 lumens) with a High/Low tail cap for simplicity especially for a muggle and for under stress, with a crenelated bezel. Also the Malkoff MDC SHO (250 lumens again a single CR123), again with the stainless steel crenelated bezel. Another option would be the Surefire Backup E1B MV (400 lumens) as it has high/low. Another cheap great option would be the Streamlight Protac 1L (275 lumens), Protac 1L-1AA (350/150 lumens depending on battery used), or even the Protac 1AAA (115 lumens), it is tiny!
    If you want to go for the larger USB lights then there are the ProTac 2L-X (500 lumens USB 18650 battery), or the Protac HP-L USB (1000 lumens). All the Protacs can also be programmed to high only.
    Also look at the ASP EDC range for a a few models that have USB ports built in:
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/.../new-scribe-df
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...guardian-df-aa
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...guardian-df-cr
    All 3 are dual fuel and have a simple high/low like the Surefire Backup.

    Another option that was recommended by a well know firearms instructor, is the Foursevens Preon lights are they can take eneloops, can be programmed to high only, and are very easily in the pocket/purse

    Anyway just my recommendations.

    Edit: I would also recommend the Surefire Fury Tacical (single 1500 lumen output on a 18650), for a purse. Their Defender series are also good but will be expensive to run on CR123 cells as they have short runtimes.

    Also please check out the Pelican tactical lights, lots of dual fuel, and USB options too! They can also be programmed to high only or high/low etc.

    And the Fenix PD35 TAC (1000 lumens on 18650) is also a great light, and certainly a better company than the 3 you listed, at least IMO.

    Welcome BTW!
    Last edited by GoVegan; 06-05-2019 at 05:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    My 2 cents are similar to what the GoVegan wrote above.


    I would not trust my life or the life of a relative of mine in a flashlight other than Malkoff, Elzetta, Surefire, Hds or Oveready.


    For personal defense and daily use my choices would be:

    First choices:
    -----
    - malkoff bodyguard v1
    - malkoff bodyguard v2
    - malkoff mdc sho
    - elzetta alpha
    - oveready dip
    - surefire edcl-1t
    - surefire edcl-2t

    second choice:
    -----
    - streamlight 2l-x

  4. #4
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Land of the rising sun
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    I'm gonna throw another option out there for you, the MAG-TAC LED Rechargeable lights (671 lumens) there are two options available but the crenelated bezel one is better for your usage and comes with no low, they were unavailable for the last few months, I think they had some issues with the battery supplies (just a guess), but they have now been upgraded with higher lumens too. USB rechargeable via a cradle so very convenient, especially if you want to leave them in the car, simple interface that always turns on to high first same as all the other options too.
    Note the plastic clips are a weak point though.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    Streamlight. Check out the Streamlight e-catalog.
    ProTac series.

    Two quick clicks for strobe from any setting. Can be programmed to start on battery saver settings too.

    Also check out the Pelican line.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-05-2019 at 06:47 AM.
    John 3:16

  6. #6

    Buttrock Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    A few points:

    1. I wouldn't trust any family member's lives with the 3 makes you listed under the "Side button" section.
    2. Be aware that for any light that you are using for self defense you should be using CR123, as they provide the highest output for the size and will also not cut out at the worst time like a rechargable li-ion cell can and will.
    3. In saying that there are obviously some advantages to using USB, i.e. you can always keep it toped up, and 18650 cells will give brighter and longer runtimes than CR123.
    4. Anything above 100 lumens is good for situational awareness and can be used for "self defense" / safety.
    5. Side mode buttons can and will be accidental be pressed at the worst time, changing mode from high to low, so not recommended on the smaller lights.
    6. Tail switches only for tactical lights.
    7. No disco modes/SOS modes are needed.
    8. High only is best for tactical use, or at least high/low, or high/strobe/low.

    Personally I'd recommend the Elzetta Alpha (415 lumens) with a High/Low tail cap for simplicity especially for a muggle and for under stress, with a crenelated bezel. Also the Malkoff MDC SHO (250 lumens again a single CR123), again with the stainless steel crenelated bezel. Another option would be the Surefire Backup E1B MV (400 lumens) as it has high/low. Another cheap great option would be the Streamlight Protac 1L (275 lumens), Protac 1L-1AA (350/150 lumens depending on battery used), or even the Protac 1AAA (115 lumens), it is tiny!
    If you want to go for the larger USB lights then there are the ProTac 2L-X (500 lumens USB 18650 battery), or the Protac HP-L USB (1000 lumens). All the Protacs can also be programmed to high only.
    Also look at the ASP EDC range for a a few models that have USB ports built in:
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/.../new-scribe-df
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...guardian-df-aa
    https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...guardian-df-cr
    All 3 are dual fuel and have a simple high/low like the Surefire Backup.

    Another option that was recommended by a well know firearms instructor, is the Foursevens Preon lights are they can take eneloops, can be programmed to high only, and are very easily in the pocket/purse

    Anyway just my recommendations.

    Edit: I would also recommend the Surefire Fury Tacical (single 1500 lumen output on a 18650), for a purse. Their Defender series are also good but will be expensive to run on CR123 cells as they have short runtimes.

    Also please check out the Pelican tactical lights, lots of dual fuel, and USB options too! They can also be programmed to high only or high/low etc.

    And the Fenix PD35 TAC (1000 lumens on 18650) is also a great light, and certainly a better company than the 3 you listed, at least IMO.

    Welcome BTW!
    Hi,
    Thank you for your input!
    I used parametrek to search for lights. I can't understand why it didn't mention the brands in your posts, or I must have excluded them.

    The reason I'm looking for at least 1,000lm for at least 1 hr is because my wife and I will be spending a lot on this light, $150 each, so we want to get the most out of it. Also, the area we have to go through every night is rather sketchy; therefore, we need something that can distract assailants right away.

    HDSsystem did come up in my search, but besides the form factor, it does not offer the best value, and it's out of our budget.

    Thanks for the input again and the welcome!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    I'm gonna throw another option out there for you, the MAG-TAC LED Rechargeable lights (671 lumens) there are two options available but the crenelated bezel one is better for your usage and comes with no low, they were unavailable for the last few months, I think they had some issues with the battery supplies (just a guess), but they have now been upgraded with higher lumens too. USB rechargeable via a cradle so very convenient, especially if you want to leave them in the car, simple interface that always turns on to high first same as all the other options too.
    Note the plastic clips are a weak point though.
    Ah, thanks for the suggestion! Iíll look into the Mac-Tec LED Rechargeable

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Streamlight. Check out the Streamlight e-catalog.
    ProTac series.

    Two quick clicks for strobe from any setting. Can be programmed to start on battery saver settings too.

    Also check out the Pelican line.
    Looks promising. Thanks! Streamlight e-catalog and Pelican

  9. #9
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,373

    Default Re: Please help me with a flashlight for EDC, and self-defense

    OP adjusted parameters, continued discussion here ...

    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d.php?t=459401
    ... is the archimedes peak

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •