Headlamps for hiking on a budget

msnbcnnbcbs

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

Going on a hiking trip in the next two weeks (grand canyon/mount zion in utah) and the hikes will include some night hiking.

I do not have any reliable headlamps, and I need to purchase two: one for myself (flashaholic) and one for traveling partner (non-flashaholic)

Originally I was thinking of buying two Thrunite th20's, but then I started looking at the output on those lights, and thinking perhaps I might need more?

I noticed thrunite had a the TH10/TH30 on sale on their website. I've also looked at some fenix lights.

I thought of getting a th30/th20, but was worried about the weight of the TH30. Another thing I thought of was buying a pair of 14500 batteries for the TN20's.

What do you recommend? Trying to keep it no more than 100$ for both headlamps.

thanks

EDIT: budget is 100$ for both.

Last edited:

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
I've been casually looking too for similar use, and these have come highly recommended at $90ish. Best of luck.

http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html

https://www.olightstore.com/h2r.html

Oh wait, maybe you meant $100 total. There still might be some Zebras that fit your bill.

Hi folks,

Going on a hiking trip in the next two weeks (grand canyon/mount zion in utah) and the hikes will include some night hiking.

I do not have any reliable headlamps, and I need to purchase two: one for myself (flashaholic) and one for traveling partner (non-flashaholic)

Originally I was thinking of buying two Thrunite th20's, but then I started looking at the output on those lights, and thinking perhaps I might need more?

I noticed thrunite had a the TH10/TH30 on sale on their website. I've also looked at some fenix lights.

I thought of getting a th30/th20, but was worried about the weight of the TH30. Another thing I thought of was buying a pair of 14500 batteries for the TN20's.

What do you recommend? Trying to keep it no more than 100$, and I need two.

thanks

parametrek

Enlightened
You don't need high output for night hiking. 50 lumens is plenty. Much more than that is inconsiderate to other people on the trail.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my Zebralight AA headlamp on all of my backcountry trips for the last 10 years. I typically take that headlamp, two or three spare AA batteries, and one other higher output flashlight and I'll be good for an entire week. Out there in the middle of the night, it takes very little light to make things visible. I would consider 100 lumens the most you would ever need, and 50 lumens good for constant use one the trail. It's fun to bring out the big guns and light up everything, but then you ruin your night adapted vision, and it takes a while to get readjusted.

msnbcnnbcbs

Newly Enlightened
So I guess a pair of TH20's are good? I could add a 14500 if I needed more output...which brand is recommended for 14500 batteries?

Any other headlamp in that price range I should consider?

Manker EO2H is a $22 AAA with decent features but I think you want more run time. You didn't mention what your budget was. Zebralight H52 AA (primaries and 14500) can still be had new for $49. H53 variant gives you an extra hour at 56 lumens, and runs $59, but you can't run 14500s. Both ZLs can give you around 300 lumens when you need it.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'm not sure for how long each evening you will be hiking so you can estimate run time and thus determine how many batteries to bring with you.

Equally importantly, I'd recommend each of you have at least two backup lights: one, Lumintop's Tool 2.0 with at least 1-2 14500 batteries and 2 Lithium AA's to back up those batteries, and two, I'd wear a Nitecore Tube on a lanyard while in the tent for minimal-to-ample illumination to rest your headlamp.

If you buy a rechargeable headlamp, you could use the Waka Waka Power to recharge them at night. The Waka Waka Power is a solar-rechargeable light that also can supply power to recharge a cell phone, a headlamp, etc.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I like to use my Armytek Wizard for 18650. For AA the Fenix HL50 or Armytek Tiara. Often use under 50 lumens but occasionally higher outputs are nice to have.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could easily meet your requirements with a simple yet very reliable and long lasting Petzl Tikkina for less than $20 for your friend, and then a Thrunite TH20 for yourself, well under budget.

The Tikkina is super easy for a non flashaholic to use with 3 modes, simple single button interface and great beam pattern. They have very unreal run times and will not go out suddenly when the cells are depleted. An extra set of AAA batteries and they will be set.

The TH20 will soothe your Flashaholic side with infinite brightness modes and a firefly mode. An extra AA or two and you will be on your way.

I have both the Tikkinna and the Thrunite TH20 and use them all the time with no issues.

MeMeMe

Banned
You can still pick up OLIGHT H04 on Amazon for about $10 and it runs on 2AA, so easy to find and carry batteries. Even if you have something else as a primary, these are great backup hiking headlamps. 120 lumens is more than enough, usually the mid setting is enough, the beam is perfect for hiking, and they weigh nothing.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have already written with that amount you could buy two Zebra AAs (example: 1 H53Fw and 1 H53w to have two models that cover every scenario of use)

But I would try to buy a 18650 light, if you have luck and find a dealer who gives you a discount or you have a sale offer you could buy 2 ELF C2 warm with that amount.
They are sold with this battery included and a Micro USB cable is sufficient for charging.
To friends who wanted to spend little I recommended those lights and they are happy, the ELF C2 warm is quite powerful (840 lumens OTF) and has a good autonomy.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my C2 Warm all day long Yesterday and I am a believer for sure!
Sometimes I consider switching back to a ZL for the number of modes to choose from but really in the end for inside work close up I really like the Warm of the Elf though it is warmer than I usually have preferred in the past too.
I only charge the battery outside of the light and so far the only complaint from me is that the magnet collects stuff from the place that I keep the light in the truck!
Not a big deal for me at all.

As others have already written with that figure you could buy two Zebra AAs (example: 1 H53Fw and 1 H53w to have two models that cover every scenario of use)

But I would try to buy a 18650 light, if you have luck and find a dealer who gives you a discount or you have a sale offer you could buy 2 ELF C2 warm with that amount.
They are sold with this battery included and a Micro USB cable is sufficient for charging.
To friends who wanted to spend little I recommended those lights and they are happy, the ELF C2 warm is quite powerful (840 lumens OTF) and has a good autonomy.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my C2 Warm all day long Yesterday and I am a believer for sure

ELF C2 is a good light, I bought many at a time when it was sold on offer.
At full price I would prefer to buy a Zebralight but I paid a little (pay like a Zebra AA) and they gave a lot of satisfaction, they are robust, USB charging and the magnet are comfortable, the spacing of the light levels is good.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
ELF C2 is a good light, I bought many at a time when it was sold on offer.
At full price I would prefer to buy a Zebralight but I paid a little (pay like a Zebra AA) and they gave a lot of satisfaction, they are robust, USB charging and the magnet are comfortable, the spacing of the light levels is good.

I got mine cheap as well or I wold not have even tried one.

I like it so much that when I saw the A1 Pro crazy cheap a few weeks ago I got a couple of those too and even a CW version which again I never would have tried otherwise!
Again I am pleasantly surprised or maybe shocked is a better way to say it by how much I like these lights too!
They are for sure too huge for what they are and I kind of admire them for it too!
And the CW is cool for sure but really seems a pure bright white without being the Angry Blue I was expecting.

More AT in my future I am sure.