$150, tactical, single output @ 1,000+ lm for 1+hr

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMT93

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I recently posted about looking for a tactical light for my wife and myself. After reading further, I believe I know what we need. Hope to hear your suggestions:

Budget: $150 each, may go up if the light offers more
Battery: USB rechargeable
Output: Single-output
Lumen count: 1,000+
Use duration: 1hr + (full battery to dead battery at 1,000+ lumens: 1hr +)
Click: 1 tail button for on/off switch and momentary light
Quality: Tough (we want to buy it once and use it for years), water/splash proof
Length: 7 in or less

Currently, only the Surefire Fury DFT meets all of this. However, I read that it gets so hot after 5 minutes I can't hold it. My question now is how I can deal with this, and how long I should expect to be able to hold the light.

Hope to hear from you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Elzetta Bones. Starts at 650. Stays at 650. On/off. That's it. Near silent clicky with momentary. Elzetta tough.
3 distinct beams in one. 100 yard capable retina scorcher center spot, wider spot lights up a football field goal post. Wide dispersed spill lights up said football field side line to side line.

Others start at 1000 or more and soon after drop to....

Can use 18650 if you choose as well.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Elzetta Bones. Starts at 650. Stays at 650. On/off. That's it. Near silent clicky with momentary. Elzetta tough.
3 distinct beams in one. 100 yard capable retina scorcher center spot, wider spot lights up a football field goal post. Wide dispersed spill lights up said football field side line to side line.

If you absolutely need 1,000 lumens or 900+ for an hour then an Elzetta Charlie will work. It is going to use CR123A cells though, not rechargeable and no USB. Someone might be willing to bore it out to accept 18mm cells for you.

I really don't notice that much when my Surefire P3X drops from 1,000 lumens to 650 lumens after a few minutes. Our eyes do not work that way. Also, if you want the 1,000 lumens, you can just hit the tailcap again on the P3X for the full 1,000 plus lumens.

I would just get the Elzetta Bones and charge the cells myself, If I needed or wanted rechargeable lights.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Wildcat will do this and with 2 18650s but no in light charging which you really do not want anyway in a light like this.

Great light,Great maker,Just Great!

QMT93

Enlightened
What tactical situation are you planning for that requires 1000+ lumens for 1 hour +?

Just want something that works and is worth the money, since the area we have to travel through every night is sketchy.

QMT93

Enlightened
How is this different from your other thread ?

In the other thread, I was open to multi-mode, side-button flashlights, thinking I may make use of it. This post is firmly on single output, single tail button for both of us.

Furthermore, in this thread I also wish to ask about thermal and work-around.

I'm new here, so if this thread is off limit, just delete it. Thanks to everyone that provided input!

QMT93

Enlightened

Got it! I'll put that name down to research. Thanks!

QMT93

Enlightened
If you absolutely need 1,000 lumens or 900+ for an hour then an Elzetta Charlie will work. It is going to use CR123A cells though, not rechargeable and no USB. Someone might be willing to bore it out to accept 18mm cells for you.

I really don't notice that much when my Surefire P3X drops from 1,000 lumens to 650 lumens after a few minutes. Our eyes do not work that way. Also, if you want the 1,000 lumens, you can just hit the tailcap again on the P3X for the full 1,000 plus lumens.

I see. Can you explain how hitting the tailcap of the P3X again would bring back 1,000 lumens? How does that work?

Thanks for the input!

I would just get the Elzetta Bones and charge the cells myself, If I needed or wanted rechargeable lights.

QMT93

Enlightened
Malkoff Wildcat will do this and with 2 18650s but no in light charging which you really do not want anyway in a light like this.

Great light,Great maker,Just Great!

"In light charging" as in "USB charging"? I did some more reading after this and others say it's better to charge the batteries themselves to keep the waterproofing intact. I guess you share that point.

I haven't found reviews of the Wildcat V6, only the MD3. Are there any significant differences?

matt4350

Enlightened
I'll second Mr Bykfixer with his Elzetta recommendation, I have a couple of these and they're top notch. 650 lumens will do you fine I reckon. I use the Elzetta Bravo with 16650 batteries, but you'll have more capacity with the 18650 if you go with the Bones. Advantage of the Bravo is you can get a hi/low tail cap if you think you need a low level sometimes.

I also use Malkoff lights. I don't run a single 18650 version, but I'd be surprised if they're not useful to you. They come in some quite intense variations. I use the MD3 and MD4 bodies but you may find these a bit large if you want to carry in a pocket or handbag.

You'll need a stand-alone charger (or batteries with a USB port built in, maybe) for both but you'll have a reliable, durable light with excellent customer service support if you ever need it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few advantages with using a charger as opposed to in light charging to me.
-There is the already mentioned better waterproofing of the light
-External Chargers will usually do a better job charging the batteries and also be much faster than the in light charging will be.
-You will actually sort of "Get to know" your batteries this way too which is always a good thing especially if you will be using more than one at a time in the light.

The Malkoff designations of MD2,MD3,MD4 refer to the length of the body tube of the light and the number or CR123 size batteries they can hold so you would want an MD2 for a single 18650 or an MD4 for a 2-18650 light if using the rechargeable 18650 batteries which will give you the best run time for the light.
2-CR123 are the length of an 18650 battery.

Then Malkoff makes 2 really high output heads for these bodies generally speaking.

The Hound Dog & The Wildcat and there should be plenty to read about these here by searching a bit.
I have a Hound Dog and it is pretty amazing and I have a lot of lights to compare it too for sure!

They also make 2 series of lights that rely on a Light Engine Drop-In known as a "P60" that is a ready to go,fully potted Drop-In modular platform to build a light the way that you want one which is a standard developed for the Light Industry years ago I think by Surefire.
These Lights are the MD and MDC Series and they are equally impressive and well designed but a little easier to pocket and carry and usually not as high in output as the other two.

There is such a crazy wide selection of them for sale now though that it is probably a good idea to spend a few minutes looking at the Malkoff site to get an idea of the options too.

The Malkoff are designed for Police and severe duty use and it is clear from the moment you pick one up that this is the case.

Buy Once,Cry Once as they say!

"In light charging" as in "USB charging"? I did some more reading after this and others say it's better to charge the batteries themselves to keep the waterproofing intact. I guess you share that point.

I haven't found reviews of the Wildcat V6, only the MD3. Are there any significant differences?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
In the other thread, I was open to multi-mode, side-button flashlights, thinking I may make use of it. This post is firmly on single output, single tail button for both of us.

Furthermore, in this thread I also wish to ask about thermal and work-around.

I'm new here, so if this thread is off limit, just delete it. Thanks to everyone that provided input!

The point of these threads is the discussion, so if your criteria change or evolve slightly during the discussion, please just continue without creating another entirely new thread.

It is confusing to have multiple similar or nearly identical threads running concurrently.

I'll close that one for now, and you can continue here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Also note that Streamlight Pro Tac lights can be programmed by half press the tail cap 9 times and click a tenth time (called ten tap) to become a high only flashlight.

QMT93

Enlightened
The point of these threads is the discussion, so if your criteria change or evolve slightly during the discussion, please just continue without creating another entirely new thread.

It is confusing to have multiple similar or nearly identical threads running concurrently.

I'll close that one for now, and you can continue here.

Thank you!

QMT93

Enlightened
Also note that Streamlight Pro Tac lights can be programmed by half press the tail cap 9 times and click a tenth time (called ten tap) to become a high only flashlight.

Got it! I'll look into it! Thanks!

QMT93

Enlightened
Status
Not open for further replies.