Right or left shoulder carry?

Brlewh

Newly Enlightened
So, I am right handed and I always carry any bag/backpack on my right shoulder. I recently bought a Maxpedition Gearslinger Sitka and it's meant for right handed people, yet it goes across my left shoulder to my right hip. They have a "left handed" version that sits on the right shoulder to your left hip. I think they totally have it backwards and feels extremely weird being on my left shoulder.

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 😂

Lumen83

Enlightened
So, I am right handed and I always carry any bag/backpack on my right shoulder. I recently bought a Maxpedition Gearslinger Sitka and it's meant for right handed people, yet it goes across my left shoulder to my right hip. They have a "left handed" version that sits on the right shoulder to your left hip. I think they totally have it backwards and feels extremely weird being on my left shoulder.

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 😂

Personally, I only wear backpacks with two straps. I see only negatives to having a pack with only one strap. That said, if I were to carry one I would carry it on my left shoulder and I am right handed.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not weird it's not anything it just is what it is BUT as Lumen83 mentioned there are negatives. Carrying any bag on one side is bad for your back especially if there is significant weight to it. It's not stable, and it's a snag hazard (forgive me I worked on the flight deck many moons ago)

SoundRay

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of buying my GF one of these so she can also help carry stuff or have something to keep her stuff in while im on the hunt and she chilling in the sun on the beach[emoji14]any1 else take their significant other along with them for a hunt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
It's not weird it's not anything it just is what it is BUT as Lumen83 mentioned there are negatives. Carrying any bag on one side is bad for your back especially if there is significant weight to it. It's not stable, and it's a snag hazard (forgive me I worked on the flight deck many moons ago)

The cross-body strap GREATLY reduces the strain on the back, and is highly stable. To reduce the snag hazard, you can (temporarily) sling it around to your back.

The reason that the strap is on the left shoulder for a right-handed person is so that the bag will rest on the wearer's right hip, and be easily accessed by the right hand.

nimdabew

Enlightened

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 
I felt the same way. I bought a southpaw version and I love it! I couldn't stand the right hand version. Mine has traveled with me for almost 5 years now as my flight bag and it has held up great. I would recommend getting it since if you do CCW with it, you will cross draw with your right hand with the -S version and it seems more ergonomically correct to me.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I quit caring a camera bag on my shoulder years ago, and use a Newswear Chest Vest. This is a great design made for photojournalists, and it puts all your gear in front of you. Others can use this as well. When they first came out I had the US Secret Service ask me about it, and who made them on one of President GW Bush's trips.

If you need to carry things, say a hike, it would be perfect, and another bonus is I never have to set my bag down and have someone take it.

ADD: I Dont like backpacks, so this is a great alternative, plus you can get in and out of cars with it on, and mine is usually full.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great to know red.
I use a messenger bag type with my camera strapped to my wrist via wrist strap. But my uses are nothing like yours. If the day ever arrives I need to carry the heavy gear you do I will definitely use that Chest Vest type thing.

I chuckle at folks I see with two cameras slung from their shoulder via long shoulder straps like that makes them look more "pro" or something. Those same folks turn green when they see me carry a full frame body over my shoulder screwed to a monopod. The monopod also has a wrist strap. I got the idea at an Orioles game. The annual battles of the vowels series where The A's travel to Camdan to play The O's. My son roots for the O's and I for the A's. Good seats are $11.

I spent my first time there watching photographers more than baseball and marvelled at 3 feet long cannon sized lenses used by some to take photos. At least 10 pounds of glass in those babies. So no bag is practical. They mobilize with cases on wheels like Blue Oyster Cult roadies. lol. And they meander about with a 5 million mm monstrosity over their shoulder that is screwed to a monopod with a tiny looking Nikon D-4 clamped to it. I saw that and decided right then that look was for me.

Last edited:

Kasterlab

Newly Enlightened
Isn't carrying a backpack on both shoulders much more comfortable if you're carrying a lot of weight?