Sky Lumen        

Thread: Right or left shoulder carry?

Default Right or left shoulder carry?

So, I am right handed and I always carry any bag/backpack on my right shoulder. I recently bought a Maxpedition Gearslinger Sitka and it's meant for right handed people, yet it goes across my left shoulder to my right hip. They have a "left handed" version that sits on the right shoulder to your left hip. I think they totally have it backwards and feels extremely weird being on my left shoulder.

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 😂

Default Re: Right or left shoulder carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Brlewh View Post
    So, I am right handed and I always carry any bag/backpack on my right shoulder. I recently bought a Maxpedition Gearslinger Sitka and it's meant for right handed people, yet it goes across my left shoulder to my right hip. They have a "left handed" version that sits on the right shoulder to your left hip. I think they totally have it backwards and feels extremely weird being on my left shoulder.

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 😂
    Personally, I only wear backpacks with two straps. I see only negatives to having a pack with only one strap. That said, if I were to carry one I would carry it on my left shoulder and I am right handed.

Itís not weird itís not anything it just is what it is BUT as Lumen83 mentioned there are negatives. Carrying any bag on one side is bad for your back especially if there is significant weight to it. Itís not stable, and itís a snag hazard (forgive me I worked on the flight deck many moons ago)
    Donít Tread On Me

Thinking of buying my GF one of these so she can also help carry stuff or have something to keep her stuff in while im on the hunt and she chilling in the sun on the beachany1 else take their significant other along with them for a hunt?
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-30-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: (off-topic) ad link removed

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    Itís not weird itís not anything it just is what it is BUT as Lumen83 mentioned there are negatives. Carrying any bag on one side is bad for your back especially if there is significant weight to it. Itís not stable, and itís a snag hazard (forgive me I worked on the flight deck many moons ago)
    The cross-body strap GREATLY reduces the strain on the back, and is highly stable. To reduce the snag hazard, you can (temporarily) sling it around to your back.

The reason that the strap is on the left shoulder for a right-handed person is so that the bag will rest on the wearer's right hip, and be easily accessed by the right hand.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

Quote Originally Posted by Brlewh View Post

I'm thinking about returning it for their left handed version. Am I being weird or do you agree with me? 
    I felt the same way. I bought a southpaw version and I love it! I couldn't stand the right hand version. Mine has traveled with me for almost 5 years now as my flight bag and it has held up great. I would recommend getting it since if you do CCW with it, you will cross draw with your right hand with the -S version and it seems more ergonomically correct to me.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I quit caring a camera bag on my shoulder years ago, and use a Newswear Chest Vest. This is a great design made for photojournalists, and it puts all your gear in front of you. Others can use this as well. When they first came out I had the US Secret Service ask me about it, and who made them on one of President GW Bush's trips.

If you need to carry things, say a hike, it would be perfect, and another bonus is I never have to set my bag down and have someone take it.

ADD: I Dont like backpacks, so this is a great alternative, plus you can get in and out of cars with it on, and mine is usually full.
    Last edited by RedLED; 10-08-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com