First Impressions, Vapcell INR 16340 High Discharge rate LiIon

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a review sample of the new Vapcell INR 16340 800mAh cell and compared it to an Olight 16340 ICR 650mAh

Here are some of my initial observations and impressions

Advantages of unprotected Vapcell INR 16340
It has a round button top
shorter than the Olight ICR 16340
fits and works in both my Atom AL and Jetbeam RRT-01
produces 400 lumens in my RRT-01, 49 lumens brighter than my Olight 16340
does not shut off suddenly leaving me in the dark.

Disadvantage of Olight protected ICR 16340
Does not work in my Atom AL, the button is too flat
Produces 352 lumens in my RRT-01, 49 lumens less than the Vapcell
Protected Olight ICR cells can leave me suddenly in the dark, and use a more dangerous chemistry than Vapcell

Output comparisons in Original Jetbeam RRT-01 with N219b 4500k 9080

Vapcell 800 mAh unprotected 16340 INR 401 lumens
Olight 650 mAh protected 16340 ICR 352 lumens

Height comparison:
Vapcell is shorter than Olight cell
OkIn0ocl.jpg

rEhaaTzl.jpg

fwiw the protected Fenix ICR 16340 is even longer,
yyjd07il.jpg

and does not let me close the lid of my battery carrier all the way.
It also does not work in my Atom AL.

Capacity comparison
Vapcell has almost 25% more capacity

I recommend the Vapcell for lights such as HDS and Novatac. Those lights have built in Low Voltage Protection.
fwiw the Vapcell uses the same INR chemistry, has higher capacity, and costs half as much as the cell sold through HDS.

I recommend the Vapcell for experienced flashaholics that are familiar with safe use of Unprotected High Drain Cells.

I recommend the Vapcell INR chemistry as being safer than the chemistry of the Olight ICR Cell.

I like that the Vapcell button top is compatible with my Atom AL, that requires a button top on a battery that is not too long.

I like that the Vapcell fits my spare battery carrier and allows it to close all the way, without crushing the cell.

otoh, I would not give an unprotected cell to someone that has not learned the safe handling of LiIon. I would start them on a Protected Cell, and I do like the convenience of USB built into the Cell, for people that do not own any LiIon chargers.

The Olight and Fenix cells only work in the RRT-01
Vapcell works in both my Atom AL and RRT-01,
tkf1VWZ.jpg

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting your thoughts. Have you tested the capacity? I'm curious if this is actually the same cell that HDS sourced.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if this is actually the same cell that HDS sourced.

I do not know if HDS is using the same cell as Vapcell. The HDS cell is labeled as a 2.1A max discharge rate, the Vapcell has a 7A discharge rate capability. The HDS is labeled as a 700mAh cell, the Vapcell is labeled 800mAh. The label specs are very different.

Do you have a capacity test for the HDS cell?

I did not do a capacity test for the Vapcell myself
however
here is some Vapcell test data I found through google, from here,
let me know if you figure out the answer to your question?

FWdh51Ql.png

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That certainly looks impressive. It has more capacity at 8A than mu Efests do at 0.5A

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
people who know more than I do, say good things about the Vapcell

moderator007 said:
From what I have seen there's no better or equal to the vapcell 16340 in its size.

CRX said:
Confirmed.
LBDpIEQ.png
fwiw the 550mAh cell is IMR, the 800mAh cell is INR, both are considered safer than ICR

I dont really have a good grasp on the implications of chemistry

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I get some? I m not in the UK nor USA, and I m proper out in the sticks where you can't even get cr123 easily then they are higher than a cat's tail

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Independent testing for both the Vapcell and the HDScell

pics hosted on my site, click to see source

conclusion
Vapcell has more capacity at 1A than the HDS cell, and Vapcell has higher discharge rate capability. Both are INR chemistry.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon have you got measurements like full length of the vapecell vs HDs cell? Wanna use these in the T Max but tolerances are close in the factory 2 cell tube. 2 keepowers wont work

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon have you got measurements like full length of the vapecell vs HDs cell? Wanna use these in the T Max but tolerances are close in the factory 2 cell tube. 2 keepowers wont work

how long are the keepowers that dont fit?
(were you trying to use the protected version)

I see in the manual that the Tmax has a low battery warning, but no mention of it actually turning off the light to prevent overdischarge on rechargeable LiIon, if the light is left on accidentally and there is no operator awareness to notice the low battery indicator.

is the low battery warning capable of protecting rechargeable LiIon, or is it calibrated for CR123 voltage only?

Last edited: