News about Hydrogen sources

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
Good articel, thanks ikendu.
Maybe I missed it, but how do they separate the hydrogen from the ethanol? Is it using a reformer or other method?

Does anybody know energy comparison between hydrogen, ethanol, methanol, gasolin & diesel. And also their advantages and disadvantages.

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, now I just read the article. A few things don't add up. One is that they say
[ QUOTE ]
"Electricity is the most important form of energy and the least efficient production process," said lead researcher Lanny Schmidt, a professor of chemical engineering and material science. "If we can switch over to hydrogen and ethanol, it's a step in the right direction."

[/ QUOTE ]
Missing here, is that after you *make* ethanol out of corn, and H2 out of something else - those two energy storers are then converted to electricity in the FC stack. The quote above makes us believe that we're NOT making electricity from these products? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Yes, we can make FC "fuel" from renewable sources. And in the end, that makes electricity through a complicated, expensive process to drive our *electric* FCV. Now with some solar panels that require zero maintenance feeding zero maintenance batteries, we have a renewable fuel that powers an *electric* BEV for a lot less effort and money. Better performance, same or better range, quick refuelling. HOME refuelling....Still wondering....

Wait! Just noticed something else. Are they making H2 out of the methanol? So yet another step in the process? The original ethonal business was *directy* Ethanol FC, right? This is just making H2 another way. I'm confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
my brother-in-law is an incredible source of methane...'specially after some sausage pizza...and beer.

Bob

Bill.H

Enlightened
I just hope they continue researching this, it might be our best available answer until some whole new technology is discovered.

If you really want to see something depressing, look at this.
Look at the differences between CA, ND, and WV!