What is this resistance telling me?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a value but i dont how to interpret it to determine if the value is too high or too low.

Highly appreciate any feedback!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
85ec7f8f1eaeec5366beee6229409f18.jpg

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
What light and what driver? Looks like a common total resistance you would usually find in the resistor divider for voltage readings in some common driver designs.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voltage goes into the positive, goes through R1 which is then connected to both pin 7 and R2. R2 is then connected to ground. The sole purpose of this resistance is to tell the microcontroller the voltage of the cell. It isn't somethijg you would change or try to change as you would need to update the resistance in the firmware. It also makes it easy to not change as the resistors are on the driver itself. Don't concern yourself with this unless you are trying to update firmware

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the in depth clarification. I'm trying to measure resistence for a low resistance setup.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this will help you. This is true for the FET topology you are using and also for the FET+N+N topologies as well. Think FET+1(MTN drivers) FET+6+1(FW3A)

MC4fCAH.png

Current for the LED will flow in orange direction. The connections for the LED are in red and black. As you can see the LED is not even connected through the driver. The positive passes right through the driver and the negative is only gated by the FET. Think of a dam where the driver opens or closes the flood gates (water never flows through the control facility).

So you want to minimize the resistance.

Lets start with negative first. From battery negative to the driver negative, you can bypass the springs and such. You then want to minimize the resistance from the FET to the LED negative, think large copper wires. Some folks even go far enough to use costlier higher performing FETs, but I do not think this is in scope for a first couple builds. ;)

On the positive side you can also bypass the spring and use large gauge wire.