Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1AA

Would you buy a Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1AA? If so how many?

• Nope, I'm more practical than tactical.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Nope, I'm down with AllTheLumens and prefer to EDC 1000 lumens for a tactical light

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Yeah, I'd love one.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Yeah, I'll want a couple.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Hell yeah, I'll get at least a few!

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

GoVegan

Enlightened
Poll: Would you buy a Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1AA?

I'm trying to gather the level of interest for a MDC SHO 1AA.

Now to be upfront, about 6 months ago I already asked Gene why he has never released an MDC SHO 1AA and he said that a single AA would not allow the current draw and voltage necessary for any reasonable runtime and output. I disagree with that statement for reasons listed below.

I'm hoping that if Gene can see some interest and enthusiasm in this poll, then he'll get about to producing one.

Proposed (and realistic I hope) MDC HA SHO 1AA Specifications:

• 150 lumens for 1.5 hours on a rechargeable Ni-MH AA battery (can also run off of a readily available AA alkaline battery 1 hour, AA lithium battery offers an increased runtime of 2 hours).
  • Regulated output.
  • No instant shutoff, output declines towards the end of a depleted battery.
  • Protected against reverse polarity.
  • Standard '1AA Shrouded Body' for pocket carry, '1AA Unshrouded Body' possible option.
  • Waterproof to IPX7. 1M for 30 mins (currently Malkoff lights are not listed as being waterproof, however tests on YouTube and here on CPF have shown them to be waterproof). An official rating would instill confidence in purchasing decisions and may even be a requirement for some government agencies/units.

Design goal: A small, simple, pocket-able, rugged, kick-*** tactical light with a decent runtime and with guilt free lumens so extremely economical and environmentally friendly. As MDC lights are not that expensive you can afford to buy several, one for every family member.

It is my belief in that this light would be popular for some law enforcement agencies as there are many in the US that only provide AA batteries, and I believe it is the exception for any police force outside of the United States to provide officers with CR123 batteries. This light could also be popular with the US State Department who I know for a fact ordered hundreds of Streamlight Protac 1AA lights several years back for some of their tactical training courses they were running. Surefire's Andrew Wright also previously stated that the State Department's Diplomatic Security Service was the agency that requested the Surefire Scout AA weapon light a few years ago too.
Details mentions here:
https://youtu.be/9pPoYh1Nfo0?t=420
https://youtu.be/KL1Q90w6UUo?t=400

FAQ

Q: Gene Malkoff already said that a single AA can't provide a reasonable runtime and output.
A: This depends on what reasonable runtime and output means, will a single AA provide 250 lumens? Well no, at least not for very long, but a more modest output of 150 lumens should certainly be
possible for at least 1.5 hours on an Eneloop. To give a couple of examples of output and runtimes of other 1AA lights:

Streamlight Protac 1AA:
High: 150 lumens; 105m beam; runs 1 hour 20 minutes (alkaline); runs 4.25 hours (lithium); 2,750 candela.
https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-1l-1aa

Zebralight SC52 L2 AA
H1 300 Lumens for 0.9 hrs, H2 184 Lumens for 1.7 hrs.
http://www.zebralight.com/SC52-L2-AA-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_136.html

Q: Who would this light be aimed at?

A: Law enforcement, military, security contractors, either as small backup light to a larger patrol light, or as a primary light for plain clothes, low-vis, or off-duty carry, in addition to concealed carry permit holders who require a small EDC light for use in conjunction with a firearm. The average person can also benefit from having a small tactical light on their person at all times too for situational awareness when out out night, to check in and around their vehicles before approaching and getting in, for crossing dark parking lots and lighting up dark areas and and potential threats. Dog walkers will also appreciate the usefulness of a bright light with a simple mode of operation. A simple single mode bright light will also be great for any family or loved ones to carry when walking in the dark, and could be a life saver if required to exit a dark smoke filled building or underground public transport in the event of a fire. Would also be great for travel.

Q: Malkoff already sells the MDC HA SHO 1CR123, why would I want an AA version?
A: The CR123 battery does offer a lot of benefits in that it packs the most capacity (relatively speaking to other small batteries) and delivers higher voltages, but AA batteries certainly do have some major advantages namely being that AA batteries are readily available everywhere in the world and at a cheap price. In a SHTF situation or even an everyday emergency, AA batteries are much more likely to be accessible to you. Also everyone these days has or should have rechargeable AA/AAA batteries too, so an AA light should have close to zero operating costs which is not only good for your wallet but also great for the environment. Rechargeable AA batteries are usable hundreds of times, and you able to step out the house with full capacity everyday, something you certainly can't do with a CR123 unless you were to throw away partially used batteries.

For more info on the pros and cons of AA batteries see: https://everydaycarry.com/posts/6921/cr123a-vs-aa-choosing-the-right-battery-for-your-edc-flashlight

Q: But CR123 batteries are more reliable and I don't trust AA batteries.
A: True although CR123 batteries have the highest/lowest temperature specs, and technically the most reliable, you can't be sure that the spare CR123 battery/batteries that you are carrying aren't from a bad batch. For example, I've seen reviews on Energizer lithium AA batteries where the whole pack was bad, and if you had taken these to a remote location and were depending on them, then you would have been left in the dark, literally. Taking this into account besides being rechargeable, Ni-MH batteries have an often overlooked advantage of being constantly tested in day to day usage, so if you generally use the same few cells then you know their characteristics and can trust that they aren't going to fail on you.

Q: But 150 lumens just isn't very bright.
A: It wasn't so long ago that the Surefire 6P was the best tactical flashlight available, it had a total of 65 lumens ran on two expensive CR123 batteries and had a runtime of 1 hour. Or perhaps a more equivalent example would be the Surefire E1B Backup as listed in the Surefire 2011 catalog, with an output of 110 lumens and a runtime of 1.3 hours. These lights were good for their intended applications then and they still are now. While 150 lumens may not seem that much these days, it is more than enough to identity a threat at 25 yards on the FBI Qualification Course as an example. Hell, in the past I've used a 70 lumen Protac 1AA to blind someone on the other side of the street

Q: Yeah but seriously I want #allthelumens for tactical use.
A: OK, still don't think that 150 lumens is good enough, even when 150 lumens or less lights are standard EDC by so many top firearms instructors who also teach low-light courses?

Kyle Defoor, former US Navy SEAL and now a firearms instructor and owner of Defoor Proformance Shooting. His usual EDC light is 150 lumens on 1AA which is the battery he usually uses at least while traveling anyway.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvHD_ELj_hl/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsBN8teD95-/

Kyle Lamb, former 1st SFOD-D (Delta) (was in the real 'Black Hawk Down' operation in Mogadishu), now a firearms instructor and owner of Viking Tactics. Although he appears in many Surefire videos, according to an interview in the June 2017 edition of 'Gun World' he states that his usual EDC is a Streamlight Protac 1AAA which at the time was just 70 lumens. He recommends against using any light with multi-modes, so it is safe to assume that he has his Protac programmed to high only: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/tools-of-the-night-fight-tactical-lights/247511.

Mike Pannone, former operational member of U.S. Marine Reconnaissance, Army Special Forces (Green Beret) and 1st SFOD-D (Delta), now a firearms instructor and owner of CTT Solutions. His usual EDC lights are the Surefire Backup or Stiletto flashlights.
https://www.nracarryguard.com/resou...s-a-better-option-or-the-only-option-we-have/
However he has previously taught classes using a 65 lumen Streamlight Stylus Pro. http://soldiersystems.net/2014/05/03/gunfighter-moment-mike-pannone-19/

I could go on with many more examples of former military and special operations forces instructors that use what many flashaholics would consider a low lumen light for EDC, but the 3 above should prove my point.

Q: So will this single AA light replace my other 1000 lumen lights that I keep in my gun safe or bedside?
A: It could do, but it doesn't have to, keep the higher lumen CR123 cell lights for emergency use, and use this smaller 1AA light for EDC.

Q: So OK, why don't I just buy a Streamlight Protac?
A: Sure you can, I have used a few of the Protac lights for many years and apart from the original 1AA models (had 2 that both flickered), the other newer models have served me well and I still carry them sometimes, in fact I only just carried my Protac 1L this weekend instead of my usual HDS EDC LE as it was warm and I was in running shorts so wanted a lighter smaller light. However the quality and durability of the Malkoff MDC lights is far superior than any Streamlight light that has been put together in a Chinese factory.
The Malkoff MDC lights are way better quality, rock solid and use the best switches available (McGizmo clicky), the switches are also user replaceable, as are the rubber boots and lenses, plus you have the option of adding a steel bezel too!

Q: Even a single AA flashlight is just too big for me, I want a 1AAA.
A: Grow a pair… of big hands. ;)
Seriously, if a single AA light is too big for you then you are not the target market for this kind of light, stick to your 1AAA or smaller keychain light.

Q: But I need a moonlight mode!
A: This light is NOT for you, then. SHO means Single High Only, Malkoff already sells an MDC AA with LMH modes. Moonlight mode is certainly useful for middle of the night bathroom runs, but I'd argue that it has zero practical use for day to day usage at least for most people. Keep your moonight mode light under your pillow as I do.

Q: I need a multiple output levels!
A: If you are only going to carry one light, then this light is probably not for you. SHO means Single High Only, Malkoff already sells an MDC AA with LMH modes. Don't get me wrong, having multiple output levels is very useful and can be critical in an emergency such as a long power outage. A SHO light would not be ideal in a power outage, however you could carry an additional flashlight with a longer runtime on a keychain for utility purposes. You should probably be doing this anyway, as two is one, one is none.

Q: So what's so special about the Malkoff lights.
A: US made, and with potted electronics, so they can take a real beating and won't fail like most others can and do after dropping onto the floor. Ergonomically they feel great in the hand too, not on a HDS level, but excellent none the less.

Q: Yeah but my EDC light is rated to to 2M drops.
A: Malkoff lights due to the potted electronics have even been thrown off the top of a house down onto concrete and survived the fall with no damage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQ6PMks1p0.
Not many lights could live up to this kind of abuse, well the ARC AAA, Fenix E01, HDS clickies could and have of course.

Q: Any other good points about the Malkoff MDC?
A: The warranty. Along with HDS and Elzetta, Malkoff have the best warranties and customer support in the industry. The Malkoff MDC lights also have the best pocket clips, they are second to none with perhaps only McGizmo being as good as them (I don't own a McGizmo but I do understand the clips are awesome)… and this is coming from me who usually deep pocket carries lights without using the clip at all. Also if I was going to clip the light to a backpack, MOLLE, or my belt then the MDC clip is the only clip I would trust to retain my light.

Thanks if you have taken the time to read down to here, I'll cut it short now as I don't want to bore you any more.

Convinced you need a MDC HA SHO AA yet?

I welcome any comments below.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected against reverse polarity...
Gene uses a diode for reverse polarity protection. Since this comes with a voltage penalty, he does not use it in the 1AA MDC. This is why it is the only Malkoff product without reverse polarity protection. Not saying it can't be done, since other manufacturers have similar products, but this would require a complete redesign of the MDC platform. That seems like your biggest obstacle.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you've mentioned CT. I have an MDC with an E2 Scout Head on it, but it lives in Mrs Yeti's bag as it's far too cool for me (as in CT and street cred).
I seriously couldn't consider another 6200k light.
Otherwise, this is great idea.

Well, it's a great idea anyway, I'm just picky.
P

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea, but for tactical use it is probably worth considering the principle of Bodyguard management. For example let it give 10 seconds to 150 lm and then drop to 40 for a long time. Cold XPG3 can give the desired brightness.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are preaching to the choir in may case, I am all about using AA cells, I haven't needed anything more than 150L for many years and most time operate on much less (like 8-80L). I will only buy AA or AAA cell powered lights simply because of the cells ubiquitous nature.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To start with a true tactical light would prompt the use of a primary battery not a rechargeable. A 1 cell that is fed by a CR123 with potential boost from an RCR for example. Great back up.

We're not there yet for tactical applications from a double a fuel source. Now the 1 cell Streamlight for example that is much brighter on a CR123 but in a pinch can run at a much lower output from a double as a backup plan with a backup light....yeah that's an acceptable feature for tactical use.

So far I'm the one vote for "nope, tactical lights are a lot brighter". The poll said 1000, but I don't need 1000 if the beam is focused right. 500-600 is plenty and can hold steady without thermal step down required when proper heat management is applied.

Malkoff Body Guard is a tough one to beat for portable tactical backup lighting needs.

Last edited:
I'm primarily a CR123a guy but since I'm also a Malkoff fanboy I'd certainly buy a 1 x AA as well! I have a good friend that absolutely would buy one if it was reverse-polarity protected but I understand the engineering issues. The only potential product Malkoff could offer that I may not want would be a 1 x AAA; just don't consider that format all that valuable as to warrant a $100 light build around it. I've got a handful of Olight i3E EOS lights which honestly hits the price/performance sweet spot for single triple.

archimedes

Flashaholic

MDC HA SHO 1AA Specifications: ....

I welcome any comments below.

Would only suggest that your OP looks too much like discussion of a "real" product, at this stage, instead of "vaporware" (and not even planned nor approved by the manufacturer at that)

I understand your point, but a casual reader might be confused.

You might consider adding Proposed or Hoped for to your Specifications ... :shrug:

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Gene uses a diode for reverse polarity protection. Since this comes with a voltage penalty, he does not use it in the 1AA MDC. This is why it is the only Malkoff product without reverse polarity protection. Not saying it can't be done, since other manufacturers have similar products, but this would require a complete redesign of the MDC platform. That seems like your biggest obstacle.

Thanks, yes I am aware of the current MDC AA design which uses the diode but I totally forgot to include that info. What I've never been sure of was the hit on the forward voltage (VF) performance when using one though. I did a quick search and just found this page:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/diodes/all

It looks like this one is the best (performance wise) is:

"The semiconductor composition of a Schottky diode is slightly different from a normal diode, and this results in a much smaller forward voltage drop, which is usually between 0.15V and 0.45V. They'll still have a very large breakdown voltage though.

Schottky diodes are especially useful in limiting losses, when every last bit of voltage must be spared.
"

Now, It's been over 20 years since I've taken an electronic engineering course so I'm by no means an expert in this area, but It looks to be possible.

The Streamlight Protac series (1AA, 1L, 1L-1AA at least) implement the reverse polarity protection by physical design at the positive contact from what I have seen, not Sure about Zebralight (don't own any).

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
As I mentioned in the main Malkoff thread, I would be all about this. I've actually found myself trying to communicate what a CR123 battery is in other countries and no only travel with my AA MDC.

For me personally value reliability and quality over lumen output, so I generally only carry Malkoff or Surefire. I also rarely need more than 200 lumens and 150 lumen would cover most of my travel needs.

I'm not to use a light like this in a defensive manner but that doesn't mean it would be able to fit that roll.

Anyway I'm all in and hope this does happen somehow.

GoVegan

Enlightened
To start with a true tactical light would prompt the use of a primary battery not a rechargeable.

Dave Barnett would agree with you on this topic, but Surefire, Streamlight, Maglight, Olight are big on rechargeable these days even in tactical lights, and even in weapon mounted lights. Now we also have the new kids on the block such as the Optimized Weapon Light from Cloud Defensive and the same with the Modlite PHL which both ONLY use rechargeable power sources.
https://clouddefensive.com/optimized-weapon-light/
https://modlite.com/collections/all-products

We're not there yet for tactical applications from a double a fuel source.

OK, now I'm gonna go full retard on this, and you know what they say...

Mr. Scott W. Wagner, 35 year law enforcement veteran and author of "Own the Night Selection and Use of Tactical Lights and Laser Sights" would disagree too:

"As I mentioned early, a 70 lumen output was considered more than adequate in terms of light output a few years ago. I took the PROTAC 1AAA outdoors at night and satisfactorily illuminated large portions of my front yard. For basic tasks of illumination and identification, the 1AAA is more than powerful enough for routine tasks such as walking the dog, or emergency situations such as a power outage or vehicle breakdown, or even confronting a threat after dark."

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/range/blog/streamlight-protac-1aaa-mini-tactical-light-review

So far I'm the one vote for "nope, tactical lights are a lot brighter". The poll said 1000, but I don't need 1000 if the beam is focused right. 500-600 is plenty and can hold steady without thermal step down required when proper heat management is applied.

Just saying that sometimes less is more, i.e. most people wouldn't carry a 500 lumen Haley Strategic D3FT or even a Surefire EDCL1-T, whereas they would a single AA.
Even those people that opt to carry the 1200 lumen EDCL2-T most of the time, require a smaller light at times depending on clothing, environment, threat level, and other circumstances.

Grant Cunningham another author and teacher in the areas of self defense, personal safety, home and family defense writes about using smaller lights here (in this case the a 220 lumen Foursevens Preon P2):

https://www.grantcunningham.com/201...-foursevens-preon-p2-and-lithium-quark-smart/

and especially here:

"If, however, someone can't or doesn't prefer to carry the larger/heavier/more expensive light, a smaller model can still do a creditable job in dissuading a bad guy. Of course they're also fine for all those other personal security tasks, such as looking under the car or lighting up a dark corner."

https://www.grantcunningham.com/201...ashlight-do-you-really-need-for-self-defense/

hHJdJ9H.gif

Last edited:
I've already talked a few times with Gene and right here in the forum about the protac 1L 1AA model of the streamlight brand. Have you been reading my emails or my old posts? lol

Surely a malkof SHO flashlight for 1 AA battery would be my dream of consumption as flashlight backup or even for tactical use.

I particularly like the idea of being able to hold the button for 3 seconds and turn the flashlight on in a low mode.

Anyway, I hope that this idea of an MDC SHO AA flashlight leaves the forum pages and that Gene prestige us with a real product.

GoVegan

Enlightened
As I mentioned in the main Malkoff thread, I would be all about this. I've actually found myself trying to communicate what a CR123 battery is in other countries and no only travel with my AA MDC.

Thanks again for your input here. I did laugh at imagining the frustration of trying to describe a CR123 to a shop keeper in the middle of Wherethehellareweistan, and ending up looking like Basil Fawlty.

Yes a AA light source even with a smaller charger is great for traveling.