Questions/Tips on Reducing Resistance

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I have a few questions, and am looking for a few tips in regards to reducing resistance as much as possible in a few incandescent lights I have. Resistance seems to effect them more so than LED's, and I'm trying to eek out as much runtime and lumens as I can.

My newest light, a Fivemega 1X26650 E Body, requires a spacer for the 26650 cell to work. Currently, I am using the tailcap spring from a Mini Maglite to make contact from the battery to the small brass nipple that is located on the bezel. It works just fine.

1. Would using a magnetic battery spacer, like those used in converting flat top battery's to nipple top, have any measurable difference in resistance versus the tailcap spring like the one I'm using?

2. McClicky switches come in Copper, Brass, and [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]aluminium. Has there been any testing done on resistance between these switches?

3. Other than keeping the threads as clean as possible, and keeping lube contained only to the orings, is there anything else that can be done to further reduce resistance? [/FONT]

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my experience reading on this the past several days is

Use thinner springs, thinner wires or reflash. I'm not sure how to measure resistence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my experience reading on this the past several days is

Use thinner springs, thinner wires or reflash. I'm not sure how to measure resistence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thinner wires or springs will actually have a greater resistance, due to smaller cross sections. That is assuming both sets are made of the same material. The wires should be pure copper. Due to the ductility (ease of bending) springs will not be made of copper, but should be copper plated or made of bronze for higher conductivity. The larger the diameter of the spring wires the better. I'm not all that up on springs so others will have to fill in, and possibly correct any of my errors there.

As far as the switches, copper has the lowest resistance, but also will oxidize faster, which will increase the resistance. Aluminum will usually have the highest resistance, and it also has a problem with oxidization. Just in general, there are several deoxit compounds available to reduce or eliminate oxidation.

What voltage and current are your lights operating at?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Great explaination. I'm running two different setups in the light in question.

A 3.7V 1.2A Lamp being driven by a Keeppower 26650. And also a 7.2V 1.2A Lamp running on 2 Keeppower 26650's

Latest posts