Asking for input on MMX-360, MMX Burst, and Maelstrom G5 S2

QMT93

Enlightened
Hi,

I recently started reading about flashlight. The brand "4Sevens" came up in many posts and threads as a high quality brand, among Malkoff, Elzetta, HDSsystem, and Surefire.

I'd love to ask for your inputs on these models, as I'm not sure if I understand correctly: MMX-360, MMX Burst, and G5 S2.

1) Is MMX-360 and MMX-Burst the same? If not, what are the differences? The only review I can find is of MMX Burst http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...urst-Mode-MM-X-and-QT2L-X-w-Outdoor-Beamshots

2) Assuming these are three different models, which one has a good mix of flood and throw in your opinion (photos are absolutely welcome)?

3) Where can I read more about these models, e.g. lux, candela, battery type, battery life, modes, continuous output duration, etc. (the more detailed the review, the better)? I can't find any review for the Maelstrom G5 S2, only for G5 XP-L R5
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-VERSION*-Review-(XP-G-R5)-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ew-(Real-OTF-Lumen-s-Beamshots-Youtube-Video)

4) Should I get a 4Sevens, when the brand is already acquired by Prometheus Lights, which is out of stock on the majority of models?

Hope to hear from you soon.

QMT93

Enlightened
That link is where I got the G5 and MMX Burst review.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

QMT93

Enlightened
You're posting pretty close to the answers you seek. Click this link. - #1
Thank you for your work though! That really took a lot of time and patience. I learned most of the information about the models in discussion from those reviews.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I dont own a g5 but i have several mmx burst and 3 360's. Go with mmx burst, they have the same output and beam pattern, the 360's had too many bugs and the mmx burst has a better UI. just keep the contacts clean

QMT93

Enlightened
I see. Thanks. It's just the MMX Burst is rather hard to find.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see. Thanks. It's just the MMX Burst is rather hard to find.

Yes they are. The 360 took MMX Burst's place.
The first run of lights Out Of Stock have not been produced/received yet.
Sign up for notifications on the lights page You are interested in and You will get an in stock notification.
The Quarks will arrive first followed by the others.
The discontinued G5 was produced with several LED variations over it's lifespan. The G5 was more of a thrower than a close up light.
The G5 also employed head twisting mode changes which are against a patent held by SF and can no longer be made.

QMT93

Enlightened
Ah, I see. Thanks guys, for the info!

I did get an MMX-360. It feels awesome in the hand. Ooticsplanet lists, "High mode: 460 lumens/ 1.5hrs, Spot beam angle: 8.7 degree". Using that number, I calculate that the light intensity is over 25kcd. Am I correct?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I see. Thanks guys, for the info!

I did get an MMX-360. It feels awesome in the hand. Ooticsplanet lists, "High mode: 460 lumens/ 1.5hrs, Spot beam angle: 8.7 degree". Using that number, I calculate that the light intensity is over 25kcd. Am I correct?

Congrats on your 360!
Do You mean High or Burst mode?
Calculating candela, or lux, is dependent upon each individual emitter/optics combination.
Do You own a light meter? Without one there is just too broad of a margin to estimate what
You have due to the optics. I don't own a MMX-360, but if I did, I could due a lux/candela estimate
of one of those with my light meter.

Those figures are from the legacy Foursevens company. All of the lumen figures were intentionally listed at the low
end of the scale(Guaranteed minimum value) by the owner/creator of 47's Mr. David Chow.
It varies between each light, and You probably have slightly more than is listed on the specs for the MMX-360.

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
Thanks!

I mean High mode, because Burst mode only lasts one minute, if not less.

I don't have any tools to measure the candela. I only use the lumens and spot beam angle data from opticsplanet and google how to calculate candela from lumen.

How off would that be, in your experience? 10%, 20%, 30%, etc.?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

I mean High mode, because Burst mode only lasts one minute, if not less.

I don't have any tools to measure the candela. I only use the lumens and spot beam angle data from opticsplanet and google how to calculate candela from lumen.

How off would that be, in your experience? 10%, 20%, 30%, etc.?

The optics play a huge role. You will get higher calculated numbers from a smooth reflector versus the same angle Orange Peel reflector.
The values of your rough calculations may help You choose the right light for your application.

I'm guessing I'd say about 15% Plus or Minus range. Figures calculated without tests can't be fairly compared against one another.
There are many variables that effect a flashlight's measured outputs.

QMT93

Enlightened
On opticsplanet, the reflector is listed as "Smooth". I'll be on the conservative side and deduct 15% from the calculated figure, which leaves 25kcd - 0.15x25 >= 20kcd. Is it a good amount of light intensity?

What's a thread sans pictures?

ASlIynV.jpg

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I outfitted several officers with the g5, including 2 federal guys, and their only complaint was the price, which at the time was around $80.

QMT93

Enlightened
@Chauncey Gardiner: That is one awesome-looking set of 47s.

@aginthelaw: Oh, nice! I like the form factor as well. I've never thought I'd spend this much money on flashlights, but I have to admit it feels good in the hand. Thank you guys for the input!

QMT93

Enlightened
Hi guys,
This is the new MMX-360.
d39a7f3b34e853cb95244e3ee3b524d4.jpg

QMT93

Enlightened
Thanks for the congrats and the info! I only use it on one mode, so that shouldn't be a problem.