Looking for a mid level flashlight to recommend to my uncle.

CoyoteHunter11

Newly Enlightened
He's got 300 yards of throw he needs at least, and that probably his biggest thing he wants (but still have regular capability) He likes mid level tools, so like $50+ to the point of diminishing returns. I think 26650's? I really like them unless there is something better but they are really common from vaping, but maybe I'm partial. Throw me some ideas.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus's XT21X is their latest photon cannon. Specs say 316 meters with 4k lumens. average price around $120 though so maybe a bit outta budget? Their XT11X is the previous generation I think but still 3200 lumens and while it's only 283 meters...I would think it's close. It sells for around $80-$90

I recommend the Klarus lights only because I love the XT series UI. Dual tail switches allows you to have instant turbo and instant low output. Their G20L uses a 26650 and throws out 3k lumens to 300 meters as well and is a more traditional style flashlight that doesn't have the dual tail switch setup.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite catapult v6 mini, I think it's got great throw for the price and we'll sized for a 26650 light

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
How about the Manker U22 (or U21). They are rated 500m and 700m throw respectively. More than your uncle requiers, but in real life you need to divide the rated manufacturers spec by 2 to get useable throw. It depends on if your uncle wants to see roughly or clearly what is at 300m.
The UI has got instant access to turbo, moonlight or last remembered mode, while still being fairly simple. There's a flow chart of it on the productpage on the manker site.
In terms of batteries the U22 is 21700 and U21 is 26650 which both can be gotten in equally high capacity (or high drian if your uncle will use it mostly on turbo). And of course usb rechargeable so no need to get him a separate charger.
Biggest downside is that there is no holster for the light, so belt carry is difficult (you have to find a compatible holster).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my GT Mini, but in a situation like that would be more inclined to reach for my Nitecore P30. It has the throw he needs, and at the lower modes does a real good job of area lighting. Add in that it can run on two CR123 primary cells, if he is not the type to get into Li-Ion cells. And its size means that it holsters well on a belt. With the hunting accessory kit available it also makes a good rifle light, but that puts you over the $50 budget.

Rexlion

Enlightened
For $50 you can get a BLF Q8 (or its new label the Sofirn Q8). Roughly 5000 lumens on high. 550 meters of throw. Runs on 1, 2, 3, or 4 18650s (need 4 to get peak performance). Brighter than your car headlights. It's my favorite flashlight, can you tell? They're on ebay among other places.

26650s are common in vaping? How big around is that e-cig, anyway? :faint: